Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: remote start keyless entry

mavihs is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

remote start keyless entry

Can someone give me some opinions on what type of remote starter and keyless entry system i should buy? I would like the keep the cost below $150 installed. I got a bulldog system for christmas, but i hear they are ****. So before I go get it installed I would like to here others opinons.

Thanks for all your help.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    any suggestions?

jjoven1225 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    clifford avantguard4

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would like the keep the cost below $150 installed.
    The clifford is $380 plus install costs?

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

2theMaxx21 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha ha. $150 installed.

Just the labor alone will cost $150. It takes several hours to install a remote start/security system. There are usually at least 40 wires to connect, and it isn't easy working underneath the dash and trying to find all the right wires to tap into.

Plus it's even harder if you have a fairly new vehicle that has any kind of stock security system or special security ignition.

As a former professional installer, one of my favorite brands of security systems is Compustar. They are very reliable, and have tons of bells and whistles. They hardly ever "false alarm". The remote is a cool LCD 2-way remote that works like a pager. It lets you know the status of your car. It will page you and tell you if your car is being tampered with. And you can easily start the engine, and control the security system from inside any building. It uses a FM signal that can travel through concrete and steel walls.
    I have Compustar security systems on my cars for several years, and they've never failed me yet.

I've installed a lot of security systems. Clifford's are good systems, but the Compustar is still my favorite. Compustar is a fairly new company, so you might not have heard of them before, but they make awesome stuff. They are the Rolls Royce of security systems. And you might be able to find a Compustar security system for under $300. Check Ebay.

But you must also remember that a security system is only as good as the person who installs it. A bad installation can make a good security system act like crap. If you get a cheap installation, you'll save a little money, but it will be "false alarming" all the time, and not be very reliable.

saber1 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Remote start w/ keyless

$150 is going to be hard to do. Most car audio shops will charge you around $100.00 just to install the alarm. But you can by a AST2250TL from me around $90.00. This is a full blown alarm with remote start and keyless entry. Check out their websit www.ultrastarters.com.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Have you guys heard of directed electronics, a local audio shop sells these for $130 installed. It is the Valet 551R Model. I dont need any alarm system, just remote start and keyless entry. The only reason I am not installing the bulldog system is because I hear they are really cheap quality and fail. You can see they would install here:

http://www.directed.com/security/valet/val_rs.asp#551r

and here is a link to direct electronics they make the cliffords, vipors, etc..

http://www.directed.com

My question now is, Is the Valet system any better then the bulldog?

jpand2071 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One major point that was brought up earlier was the coded ignition. I had a viper ESP 550 installed, which is a security system/remote start. Since my 2001 expedition has the coded key, it added 60$ to the price, costing me $450. I was contemplating getting my mom just a remote start for christmas, which i saw advretised at best buy installed for i think 150. When i asked someone at the store, he told me that it would cost an extra $115 in parts. Also, if your car does have the coded key, you will need to provide the installer with an additional key that they will place in the "brain" of the alarm. Depending on the manufacturer, it will probably cost you 25-35$ for an extra coded key. If you have the coded key, i am pretty sure you will not be able to stay near $150.
    Last edited by jpand2071; 01-06-2003 at 04:27 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I dont have the coded key. My car is pretty old. Is the Valet any better then the Bulldog?

jpand2071 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Valet is made by DEI, which pretty much dominates the car security/remote start market. bulldog is a much smaller company. Many installers will probably have more experience with valet. I dont know much about bulldog, so i cant really bash it. Hope this helps in some way

BonusBobo is offline Lightweight Sesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    don't buy an Audiovox Prestige. I have one and it has haunted me ever since I bought it. When I get out of the car, close the door, and press the "lock" button, I am forever hoping it doesn't flip out and do the "panic" mode on me, making sirens and honks that wake up my neighborhood. This has happened on more than one occasion.

-AJ

AIM: AJR775
    My CarDomain
    arikli@calpoly.edu

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks guys for all the input, it has helped. Im going to go for the Valet.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I went to the shop and they are out of the Valet remote starters, they have a replacement called the Xtreme its a remote starter keyless entry system made by TRC? My question now is has anyone here heard of TRC?

There company website is not too impressive http://www.trc12volt.com/.

The remote looks like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails remote start keyless entry-xtremeremotestarter.gif  

BonusBobo is offline Lightweight Sesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    not necessarily. besides, eh doesn't want immobilizer or alarm, if I am correct.

-AJ

AIM: AJR775
    My CarDomain
    arikli@calpoly.edu

terifi is offline your average stereo junky

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    immobilizer being...?

like whats the main thing I would really need for an alarm, i wanna pay as little as possible, but apparently it starts at 300,
    all i want is something to protect my precious stereo system, and something so they cant drive my car away, like a starter disable, but i def. want a siren, not just one of the ones that uses a horn....anyone happen to know what kind of alarm im looking for? like anyone know of an alarm that does this?

running 500x rockford hooked to some 10" mtx 6000

"It is never to late to be what you might have been" -George Elliot

"If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything" -Doc and George from B2TF

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast