Closed Thread

Reload Thread: General ???s on Amplifier Adjustments

nrgy is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

General ???s on Amplifier Adjustments

Well I finally found some time to install the JBL P80.4 amplifier that I bought a couple weeks ago. I will give a detailed review on it in a bit, but I have a couple questions I would like answered being this is the first amp I've installed.

First starting with gains. I understand that to adjust the gains, one would start from the lowest setting and turn them up until the speakers start to distort, and turn them back down a bit. Since I am using a 4 channel amplifier, if I set the front/vocal speakers to the optimal gain setting, they will drown out the mid/bass speakers at their optimal gain setting. Is there anything wrong with setting the gains lower on the vocals to balance the system out? In other words, I know it is not good to turn the gains up to make up for lack of good speakers, but what about turning them down to obtain the proper sound level?

Ideally, how should the treble and bass be tuned on the radio? In an ideal situation, would these be set to 0 and the amplifier and speakers would simply make up for all the treble and bass needed, or would even in a completely upgraded system do people play with the treble and bass to fine tune? I'm asking because my bass/midbass stills seems lacking (need new speakers I know), and I'm wanting to turn the bass on the highest level.

Lastly, the crossovers. Ok, for the front speakers/vocals I set this to High Pass, correct. And for the midbass/bass speakers I set these to Low Pass, right? So when I set the frequecny for the midbass speakers, lets say around 100hz, then I would also set the front speakers at 100hz?

Alrighty, that is all for now. Thank you!

Spddracer is offline Sounds Goooooood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes its ok to turn the gains down , And you say midbass/bass speakers what are you refering to , where are they ect . Your midbass should be in the front on high pass set at around 80-120 depending on your speakers (what they can handle) I dont know of any spec to go by on adjusting x-overs I usually go with what sounds good and where it begins to blend nicely with my subwoofers , I assume you have front and rear speakers and no subs ??? If it is set up that way I would run the back full range and the fronts on high pass , And yes I fine tune with my bass and treble ! But thats just me ! I dont use eq's !

1990 300ZX Stage IV Twin Turbo

Pioneer Premier P940MP

CDT HD 6.5" Comps
    JL 300/4 Active
    (2) PG Ti10d
    Directed 1100d

"WORK HARD.....

PEOPLE ON WELFARE DEPEND ON YOU"

nrgy is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oops, sorry, I probably should have been a little more specific.

Currently, I have 4" mids and 1" tweeters in the dash, and 5.25" woofers in the doors. No subs. I'm using the stock speakers, however they are considered to be the premium system. Unfortunatley I don't know the specs on them. I fully intend to upgrade them, especially the 5.25" woofers to 6.5" MB Quart Premiums in the near future.

However, the amplifier did make a noticeable difference in sound quality, just the bass is still lacking, and I'm assuming the new amp won't make this up with the small stock 5.25", right? Currently I have the dash speakers on High Pass at around 120hz, and the Doors at Low Pass at 120hz. Obviously I'll need to fine tune to my liking, but would this be a good starting point?

Spddracer is offline Sounds Goooooood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by nrgy
    Oops, sorry, I probably should have been a little more specific.

Currently, I have 4" mids and 1" tweeters in the dash, and 5.25" woofers in the doors. No subs. I'm using the stock speakers, however they are considered to be the premium system. Unfortunatley I don't know the specs on them. I fully intend to upgrade them, especially the 5.25" woofers to 6.5" MB Quart Premiums in the near future.

However, the amplifier did make a noticeable difference in sound quality, just the bass is still lacking, and I'm assuming the new amp won't make this up with the small stock 5.25", right? Currently I have the dash speakers on High Pass at around 120hz, and the Doors at Low Pass at 120hz. Obviously I'll need to fine tune to my liking, but would this be a good starting point?
    Your not going to get alot of low bass out of a 5.25 speaker , Good starting point thou , I dont know what your plans are , Sounds like a good front stage setup althou you will need to put all the fronts on highpass , I would say cut the 4's off at around 120 like you have and the 5.25's off at around 100 , Maybe add a subwoofer and amp to get the bass you want , This should give you decent midbass up front then your sub will do the rest

1990 300ZX Stage IV Twin Turbo

Pioneer Premier P940MP

CDT HD 6.5" Comps
    JL 300/4 Active
    (2) PG Ti10d
    Directed 1100d

"WORK HARD.....

PEOPLE ON WELFARE DEPEND ON YOU"

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally I would make the 4" cross @ 3-400 hz.. bandpass if possible to around the cutoff for the tweeter.. The same goes for the 5 1/4 from around 80hz - around 30hz below where you cross the 4s @. A decent set of 5 1/4s will reproduce those frequencies without any problems.. A sub to do everything below that.. The change from 5 1/4 to 6 1/2 will take a bit of modification so beware.

Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

Closed Thread