Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Soliciting Equipment Advice

Rochambeau is offline Pudding is good.

Kickin it in Cali... Why live anywhere else?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Soliciting Equipment Advice

Howdy all...

Edit: Reader's Digest Version here... My thinking & what not is below in the original ridiculously large post... Apology below in a reply.

What I want:
    SQ system with all the toys for an 06 Mustang Convertible

What I am considering/leaning towards:
    Head unit: Alpine IVA-D310 or IVA-W200 or IVA-D100
    Processor: Alpine PXA-H701 (GEQ, Surround, PEQ, 4 volt preout)
    CD Changer: Alpine CHA-S634 (may upgrade to DVD changer instead)
    PDX 4.150 (4X150) for the fronts
    PDX 4.150 (3X150) for the rears and center
    PDX 1.1000 for the sub

Speakers: totally don't know. Hex's is what I am thinking, but don't even have a local shop that can let me hear them.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

And here starts the ridiculously long, convoluted original post...

First off, I am n00b and want it done right so I won't be doing the work myself, gonna let the pros do it. With all the equipment I am looking at, I am coming up around $10,000 for the equipment at full-retail price, not including install. I am hoping that out the door will be at or below that figure.

Just bought a slighly used 2006 Mustang GT Convertible (Black with red interior! ) and am looking to deck it out with the toys... I would like to get feedback on the system and tips/suggestions would be so very greatly appreciated. I am interested in SQ, not SPL, however I certainly do not shy away from a little excessive volume. This system is for my enjoyment, I don't really care to bump all the neighbors up and down the street, the power I am putting into it is just to give me lots of room before I max it out.

What I want is a complete system, by complete I mean toys galore, with everything from nav to 5.1 surround to iPod to XM to Bluetooth cell phone integration.

Also, I want enough good, clean power to make sure that I don't wish for more in 2 years time (as is the case with my current system). Then again, I suspect power is like money and heroin, the more you have the more you want.

Finally, I want a speaker setup that fits the budget but delivers exceptional sound. Then again, don't we all.

Mounting location for the equipment will likely be in the trunk which I would not mind giving up the entire trunk... Cargo be darned. Of course, the ability the retain the spare tire would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker.

In the cabin, I would ultimately like to stay as stock-looking as I can. I would like to avoid cutting into the dash or other visible areas. If I have to though... You gotta do what you gotta do.

My musical tastes are all over the spectrum... Mostly rock, from classic (Journey, AC/DC, Billy Joel) to more modern rock (Bizkit, Green Day, KMK). However I will also do some Jazz like Diana Krall or Ray Charles and a fair amount of Top 40 (a guilty pleasure and to mollify the wifey). Sprinkle on top of that a touch of Reggae and the occassional DVD movie, you see my need for versatility.

Now I am not married to any of this source equipment, but to date this seems to me to be the one setup that accomplishes all of my "must haves". Speaking of that, here are my must haves (not in any particular order)... Yes some of them may come at the expense of SQ, but I hope not.

1) Touchscreen monitor
    2) XM radio (not Sirrius, gotta have my baseball), controllable thru HU
    3) Navigation with XM-satellite traffic, controllable thru HU
    4) Graphic EQ, controllable thru HU
    5) iPod connectivity, controllable thru HU
    6) Backup camera, viewable thru HU

Now to the toys, here's the equipment list I have compiled along with my thoughts on some of the pieces:

Head unit: Alpine IVA-D310 or IVA-W200 or IVA-D100
    Processor: Alpine PXA-H701 (GEQ, Surround, PEQ, 4 volt preout)
    CD Changer: Alpine CHA-S634 (may upgrade to DVD changer instead)

Misc hardware:
    iPod adapter: Alpine KCA-420i or 422i cable (depending on HU)
    Rear view camera: Need suggestions on this one cause it doesn't appear Alpine makes one. But they DO have the input. Maybe around $200 for a good camera?
    Bluetooth cell phone adapter: KCA-100BT (don't think this is available yet, may have to go with different one)
    All the necessary boxes to make the XM and XM NavTraffic work, model numbers not readily available.

Of course, now we come to the amps. I initially was enthralled by the idea of some amp control throught the head unit so I was looking at the Alpine V12 line. But now that's not even my choice within the Alpine line because I read a review of the newer amp line the PDXs. Needless to say, it was the idea of getting more power with only a marginal increase in price that ****** me in. I am still a little up in the air on the amps, but i really liked what I read in CarAudioMag's review of the PDX 4.150 (http://tinyurl.com/jkj4d).

That being said amps are:

PDX 4.150 (4X150) for the fronts
    PDX 4.150 (3X150) for the rears and center
    PDX 1.1000 for the sub

Speakers.... Oh, speakers...

I don't live in a city so it is hard for me to run around test-listening. And I don't know that I would trust my ears enough, nor trust the listening environments enough, to make a fair comparison. Plus, as I said, I am a trifle ignorant when it comes to finding good speakers. So I am reaaaally relying on reviews, reputation and word of mouth. That being said, relying on reputation for value and popularity I wanted to do Diamond Hex, then I read the review of the Polk S6500 and that raised my speaker budget a bit, which now stands at about $1,000 max retail. If I can spend less and get the desired SQ, all the better. Ultimately it will involve components up front with possibly some mid-bass to shore up the lower regions if that is needed. I haven't ruled out the Diamonds by any means just broadened my horizons. The guy at the shop seems to be a fan of Focal and their reputation would seem to speak for itself (holy frijoles, an $80,000 pair of home speakers???), but I did listen to a pair of 165 K2P-U and they sounded a bit harsh on their Focal sound demo board.

One thing I am unsure of is what to do with the center channel. As stated above, I would like to avoid cutting but is there really a 1-din unit out there that can handle this kind of power and also sounds good? Somewhere on the internet, I saw a vehicle-specific enclosure designed to sit on top of the dash but for the life of me I can't find it now. It came pre-loaded with speakers but I recall thinking I would have to look towards replacing the speakers with quality ones.

Rear speakers are also a dilemma for me. I want good ones, but do I really need to overdo it in the rear? The factory mounts are just behind the driver's and front passenger's hips. Isn't this a place I can save some money without ravaging my SQ? Maybe put in some 2-ways?

Subwoofer:
    Ok, here I think I have a firm grasp...

Alpine's SWX-1242D got a glowing review in CarAudioMag and would seem to be a perfect match power wise to the PDX 1.1000. I have only read a summation of the review though and have torn my house upside down trying to find that issue (Feb 05) in order to read the full review. I have always been a fan of sealed enclosures for their accuracy but would love to hear input of perhaps using a different enclosure, especially since I am only planning to use one sub. Also, a vehicle-specific enclosure would certainly be of interest to me.

Juicing it:
    What really would be a good power layout? I would like reliable power that will let the amps do their work with no worries. Beyond that, I know very little, even if my alternator will do the trick. I like what I read about BatCaps? Any thoughts?

Dampening:
    How much should I expect to pay for good dampening throughout the trunk and behind all the speakers? Should I be modest with the dampening at first and then proceed on an 'as needed' basis?

Shop:
    With a n00b like me, so much relies on the shop. Where I live there is only one shop with a good reputation, the only Alpine dealer within 30 miles. They have done work for me in the past and their installs are top shelf. They do have an 'our products first and only' bias to them, but that's to be expected I guess. An Alpine tech rep I talked to said to definitely go there, but then again he used to work there. He also used to work at SpeakerWorks in Orange, CA which is definitely a shop with a good rep. In addition to Alpine, the shop I am talking to also carries Zapco, Rockford, Kenwood, Pioneer, Directed, ArcAudio, Eclipse (sobbing... why can't the AVN line get XM???... sobbing continues...), Sony, Memphis and Focal. While I would never rule out carrying in equipment to include in the install, all things being equal those products would be easier to get.

It looks like the local shop has the inside track on the job, but if anyone reading this has a SoCal shop and wants to bid the job, feel free to PM me.

Thanks in advance to all, especially those of you who have read down to this point.
    Last edited by Rochambeau; 08-26-2006 at 05:59 PM.

snoopdan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1374 Post(s)

Re: Soliciting Equipment Advice

got tired of reading 1/3 of the way

JoshHd6 is offline AKA master467

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^^after the first paragraph..i stopped..

Josh
    Refs
    iamamp3pimp, Dylan x2, angrytrucker78, TCAB x3, lilmaniac2, playboyclic, donkeydemon, ugs92, DJL

Railrocker is offline Sie mich hören?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Ya um start with something small and go from there.

SAG3 is offline ________

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sounds like you wont have a problem spending 10k on your system.

and to the lazy fuckss- if you didnt read it, then dont post

Railrocker is offline Sie mich hören?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SAG3 View Post
    sounds like you wont have a problem spending 10k on your system.

and to the lazy fuckss- if you didnt read it, then dont post
    That'd be me! and post.

6spdcoupe is offline tends to get a bit cranky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc View Post
    holy huge post batman... I know I said put it all in one post, but damn!

Anyways, it looks like you have a good idea of all the equipment. I would actually suggest the Pioneer AVIC-Z1. That is an incredible unit. It can do backup camera, XM or Sirius, CD's DVD's, Bluetooth, and iPod interface. It's truly an incredible unit. It will do everything but drive the car. The XM is really cool because it can actually show you where traffic is on navigation. You can use the unit in normal navigation mode (an arrow on a map) or in a 3-D mode, or split half-and-half. You can do half navigation, half backup camera... it's just incredible. It's got a built in hard drive, so no navi discs to worry about, and it will rip the CD's you put in it.

As far as amps go, the alpine amps are very nice, but pricey. You might want to look around and see what other kinds of amps you can get your hands on.

Speakers.... I loooooooooove MB Quart speakers. When installed and tuned correctly, those babies can sound incredible. I would vote for MB Quart Premium or Q 6.5's for the front doors and Reference 5x7 coaxes for the back. Feed the Front speakers a good 200w per side, and you will be amazed.

Thats all I got for the time being

+1 on the Z1, BUT the combo that hes looking at w200/701 would give him alot more flexibility. Of course ifthis is going to be a passive setup most of it would yield useless.

If he thought the Focals were bright ( I agree completely) then the last thing I would direct him towards would be MBQs.

DVI-9990/TMI-M990/PXI-H990
    TRU Billet 2200 ..Dyn Esotar 1200
    TRU Billet 4100 ..Dyn Esotar110/Esotar430
    TRU Billet 4100 ..DYN MD182s

Refs:
    Way to many to list, seriously. I lost count when it passed 100

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Refs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To the OP...Terk is working on ( if not ready by now) XM Direct for the Eclipse units. It appears you like the AVN, so I would check into that.

Refs:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You all are so right, I knew the post was long & convoluted... Shoulda abridged it somehow. I edited the original post to make it more reader friendly. Thanks for the format suggestions.

And definitely thanks for the equipment suggestions so far.

This really is a kick *** forum. A product, I would imagine, by the fact that it is difficult researching car audio as there are very few sources for unbiased information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc View Post
    I'm just posting those links to show him good stuff... he doesnt necessarily need to buy from there ^_^.

And My MB Quarts aren't too bright at all. When tuned and positioned properly, they're as silky smooth as bostons.
    Gotcha

A good set of drivers shouldnt need to be tamed to get em to sound good. Also bearing in mind each individuals ears will vary. My guess would be that he would find those MBQs very harsh and painful if he thought the K2Ps were. I have nothing against MBQ per say, just noting what he already mention and didnt appeal to him.

Refs:

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
    Way to support the local dealers.
    I'd support my local dealers if they were worth a ****, but that's a topic for another time

To the OP - sounds like you're on the right path...hard to go wrong with the equipment you're considering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    I'd support my local dealers if they were worth a ****, but that's a topic for another time

To the OP - sounds like you're on the right path...hard to go wrong with the equipment you're considering.
    I understand completely, more than you know. But he did mention that he had some past dealings with them already...

Refs:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
    Of course ifthis is going to be a passive setup most of it would yield useless.
    Thanks for the reply.

Excuse my n00bness... "Passive setup"? What does that mean? TIA

rocky 59 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

jmanpc please please for the love of god get off of mb quarts dick.

refs- 80 inches, bumpn_gt, hot Carl,alphakenny1,zenkar, Bring97,dleccord,GemaRastem,cyantist,ill-faded, livin life, bjfish11, bodega bay,spy,jamesw,JBLCAMRY
    feedback thread- http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...72#post1598072

Truck build log-http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400050

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List