Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Best way to make a "rabbit" on MDF cut out for Plexi window with no router??

RobWiz is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Best way to make a "rabbit" on MDF cut out for Plexi window with no router??

I'm going to be making a "step" (a rabbit I believe it's called) in the cut outs of my MDF floor in the hatch for Plexi windows. I'm assuming a router is the proper tool for the job. I don't have access to a router so what's the next best tool/way to make the step to lay my Plexi in??

Thanks,
    Rob

(3) JL Audio 12W6s <using 1 to save weight>
    (2) Orion XTR 8" midbasses
    6.5" Polk Momo comps.
    Orion XTR 2150
    Orion XTR 800.4

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you don't have a router I'm assuming you don't have a radial arm saw or table saw...How about a regular circular saw? You can just cut successive passes with the blade set really shallow and eventually you should get where you want to go.

'99 Taurus SHO (welded)
    • HU: Stock - Scosche SLC-4
    • Comps: Lanzar Opti6c w/Opti400x4d
    • Rear fill: Stock
    • Sub: Lanzar Opti1232D w/Opti1000.1d
    ebay feedback: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=en_force_r&ftab =AllFeedback

Heresy is offline Going Against the Grain

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A table saw with a dado would work very well if you don't have a router. If you don't have access to one there is always the extremely inprecise method of using a a chisel which I have done before when I was too lazy to set up anything else.

The handheld circular saw would work but you better have a steady hand or at least a makeshift fence to guide off of. I have had too many bad experiences with those saws to recommend them unless you absolutly must.
    Last edited by Heresy; 12-10-2002 at 10:32 PM.

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum -- Vegetius

"I told her about my conversation three years ago with the political leader of Islamic Jihad in Gaza. "What's the difference between suicide, which the Koran condemns, and martyrdom?" I asked. "Suicide," he replied, "is done out of despair. But remember: most of our martyrs today were very successful in their earthly lives." In short, there was a future to live for--and they detonated it anyway."

Spddracer is offline Sounds Goooooood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How bout just using another piece of wood on top same thicknes as the plexi , Make it a little bigger than your cut out of the original floor(same size cutout as the plexi) and put it on top of the original floor and then you glass shall fit perfect !

1990 300ZX Stage IV Twin Turbo

Pioneer Premier P940MP

CDT HD 6.5" Comps
    JL 300/4 Active
    (2) PG Ti10d
    Directed 1100d

"WORK HARD.....

PEOPLE ON WELFARE DEPEND ON YOU"

Closed Thread