Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 5.25" Component Comparison

Hey guys, I've decided to buy a set of components, but need a few pieces of last minute advice. I've been researching prices on ebay and several sets are available for about $150, which seems to be a very reasonable price. A couple of sets have caught my eye so far and I need your help with which one to get. The decision so far (based mostly on price) is between the Kenwood KFC-XR51P, the Alpine Type-R SPR-136A, and the Pioneer TS-C130R. From what I can tell, a set of components will nicely compliment the sub I am planning on getting (Audiobahn AW1200Q). I believe the power range for the three sets listed here is around 8-40w RMS, which brings about an important question. I am getting the Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 receiver, which puts out 22x4 RMS and 45x4 Max. With the speakers rated at a max of 40 RMS, will they be in danger of blowing when bridging two channels of the receiver to each crossover (22x2 RMS = 44 Speaker Max = 40)? Also, if there are any other sets that you would recomend considering (around that price range, which works out to be approximately anything under $230 retail), please feel free to list them; I am new here, so any other advice is welcome.
    Last edited by FullThrottle7; 12-09-2002 at 09:06 PM.

FullThrottle7 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ... Don't bridge the HU? Does that mean I can only send one channel (16 watts RMS) to each pair of speakers without any danger to the system?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That makes sense, thanks for the heads-up. That brought up a question regarding the sub setup I hope to get, though. I want to get the Audiobahn AW1200q, which has gotten mixed responses on every review site I have found; people either love it or hate it. It has a RMS range of 50-700, which sounds extremely powerful to me, so I figured it would sound cool in a small car. To get a good amount of power to it, I was thinking about buying a 2-channel amp, which people have told me would be the easiest and best for just one sub. I looked on Crutchfield and found a brand called Profile that had excellent specs relative to the other brands on there. The model was the Clarus CL800. It said that it would put out 300x2 / 600x1 RMS, which would mean bridging both channels from what I understand. That, however, is into a 2 ohm load. With the sub being DVC, I believe you have to go either 8 ohm or 2 ohm. When I looked at the detailed specs on the amp, it said that the minimum impedence when you bridge both channels was 4 ohm. The way I interpret that is that I would have to wire the sub in a series, making it 8 ohms. If this is the case, how much of the power would be sacrificed? It seems that going from 600x1 RMS into a 2 ohm load could drastically change to something like 300x1 RMS into an 8 ohm load. I'm sorry I don't know much about this stuff, if this question isn't clear, I'll try to re-word it. Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by FullThrottle7; 12-09-2002 at 11:34 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is the JBL stable to 2 ohms when you bridge both channels? I'd like to get the maximum power out of it. If it isn't possible to get it down to 2 ohms, how much of a difference would wiring the sub in a series make?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, the answer is simple; price. I am a running start student and an athlete, so I don't have any time for a job. I've been talking to all my relatives and for Christmas I'm going to get a joint present from everyone: a stereo. My dad is covering the HU and my mom is on the speakers. I got my grandparents to agree to a sub, but got about a $100 limit. Looking on ebay, I found the Audiobahn line for extremely cheap. I can get that sub fully shipped for pretty much $100. I had considered many others, Kenwood Tornados, Db+, Alpine Type-R and Type-S, and the MTX Thunder 6000 and 8000. One of my friends suggested that I should consider Pioneer's premier line, too. I don't know about Pioneer subs, though. If that Audiobahn is going to sound terrible, please let me know. I don't have anything in the car yet, building completely from scratch. From what I've heard, I figured the Audiobahns would be fine for me. After considering the reviews and your comment, though, I've kind of realized I prefer SQ over SPL. I was just getting a bit of an ego I guess. Theres a kid that keeps telling me about all his stuff (Thunder 6000 10") and how much my system will ****. I guess I just wanted to smoke him. If there are any cheap subs that sound good and will put out decent base, I should probably look into those more. Do you have any suggestions?
    Last edited by FullThrottle7; 12-10-2002 at 12:18 AM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What about the MTX thunder series? How do they compare to these? One of my friends has a Thunder6000 10" DVC in a Ported (possibly bandpass) box that he wants to sell for about $100. I haven't heard a lot of systems in cars, only those at stores, so thats all I have to compare to. But ****, that thing is loud as hell. His bronco was actually shaking from just the one 10. Some other kids that know a lot about car audio came to look at it the same day as me and thought he had 2 12's in there. How do you think this sub would compare to that Alpine Type-R? For $100, that sounds pretty good.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So you think that the Audiobahn AW1200Q in a good sealed box (Sealed better for SQ I think) would sound better than the Thunder6000 in a ported or bandpass? BTW, for sealed box SQ, is a larger space better or a smaller space better?

cifer721 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    save up a little more money for the sub and check out the elemental designs k series... as for components, take a look at JL Audio XR series... real nice comps for the price, and they hold up pretty well to middle end brands like mb quart, diamond, boston acoustics..

Closed Thread

User Tag List