Closed Thread

Reload Thread: MB Quarts or Boston Pros w/ small amp?

nrgy is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MB Quarts or Boston Pros w/ small amp?

I finally bought the JBL P80.4 amplifier. Every review I've read gave the amp their highest rating, and for the price I just had to give it a try.

Now, I'm looking at some 6.5" components, and am tossing between the MB Quart Premiums or Boston Acoustic Pros. Basically, which will sound better powered by the JBL amp, which I read actually puts out closer to 50 x 4. I know this is very subjective question, but leaving the personal opinions out, what speakers would the amp handle best?

I'm asking this because if the Boston Pros are 3 ohm, then won't this will mean I will be getting closer to 65 rms to each speaker, as opposed to the 4 ohm rating of 40-50 rms? If this is the case, then wouldn't the Boston's sound better overall?

Alright, thanks.

Trixter is offline Keepin it Simple

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your right about the Bostons. They would recieve a little more power over the MB's and possibly sound better because of it. The Boston's also have a lower power rating (20-400 as opposed to 60-130). Because of this I think they will sound better because thay are getting power that is in their range; the MB's would be under powered.

I have listened to both (the MB 5.25" in my sig and a pair of Boston 5.25" pros.) Personally I like the MB's because of their higher freq. response....others don't like them because of it. Sound wise it's user's preference, performance wise I think the Boston's would work better in you application.

Hoped this helped...good luck

2006 Jeep Liberty
    Adire Audio, Cadence, Clarion, MB Quart

Lv = [(14630000 x R^2) / (Fb^2 x Vb)] - 1.463R
    *Vb = vol. in cu"
    **R = sq.rt. A / Pi (for square/slot port)

Brock is offline SEXYTIME!! NIIICE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Boston's will sound really dam good, and get a little bit louder that the MB's because of the extra power they let through. No matter which speaker you choose you will be happy.

nrgy is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you very much, you've both helped me decide. I'll be shopping around for some Boston Pros, and if I can find them for not too much more than the MB Quarts, I'll spring for those. But if they're much more expensive, I'll opt for the MBs as I'm sure I'll be just as happy.

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)
    they are both great comps, but I prefer the Bostons, they had a warmer more clean sound, but that is my preference

CarAudio.com mod(original)

ScreeminChikin is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a set of Boston pro's in my Mustang and a little Precision Power PPI-2120 amp running them. The amp is rated at 30x2@4ohm & 60x2@2ohm so split the difference and ssay their getting about 45rms with the 3ohm rating. The sound great even with the fairly low power I'm feeding them. Ive never used Quart's but I have allways had good luck with Boston speakers. I have allways heard that Quarts are pretty power hungry but I have heard the same thing about Bostons. I think either one will work, its just a matter of which ones have a sound you like better.

stupify is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: MB Quarts or Boston Pros w/ small amp?

I can't see giving pro's any less then 200 watts but thats coming from someone who has more then that on them..

I can't say how they will be with that many watts but they can handle a ton and you can always get a bigger amp later on for them. If they don't sound good enough for get loud enough give them more power and they will sound loud

the_noob is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: MB Quarts or Boston Pros w/ small amp?

hahahahahahahahahahhahaha

3 Years!!!

Closed Thread

User Tag List