Closed Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Reload Thread: Number of subs vs. SQ...

  1. #1
    Trixter's Avatar
    Trixter is offline Keepin it Simple



    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Kenosha, WI
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Number of subs vs. SQ...

    I have heard that you should use one maybe two subs for a SQ setup. Why is that? What would be wrong with more? Does it have to do with the possibility of cancellation??



    2006 Jeep Liberty
    Adire Audio, Cadence, Clarion, MB Quart

    Lv = [(14630000 x R^2) / (Fb^2 x Vb)] - 1.463R
    *Vb = vol. in cu"
    **R = sq.rt. A / Pi (for square/slot port)




  2. #2
    MikeofTulsa's Avatar
    MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    20,885
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)
    my thinking would be w/ more you'd have more bass than anything else....so it would go a bit toward spl??? thats jus my thinking...i could be wrong




  3. #3
    drkodin's Avatar
    drkodin is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Gainesville, TX
    Age
    31
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Goddyd4me
    my thinking would be w/ more you'd have more bass than anything else....so it would go a bit toward spl??? thats jus my thinking...i could be wrong
    he is as right as he can be

    more subs means more bass. so if you have 4 JL W6V2 subs with 500W each, you're gonna need like 250W comps . it just doesn't make since considering you aren't trying to be loud just trying to sound good.




  4. #4
    Brock's Avatar
    Brock is offline SEXYTIME!! NIIICE!



    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    KENTUCKY WHAT!!!
    Posts
    7,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would stick to one or two subs for a SQ setup unless you are trying to reproduce a live concert with a really bad sound guy.




  5. #5
    GSteg's Avatar
    GSteg is offline Custom User Title



    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    whee!!
    Posts
    2,831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very true. u can get too much bass and make it sound all bad. but if you can turn the gain down or set the bass so where it gets comfortable and sound good then you're set. lets say you have a Pioneer 12" sub and it hits 140db on the mic. now if you can get say 4 of the same sub to hit 140db, the system with 4 subs is going to sound better. why? because the single 12" is already stressed out trying to hit 140db, while the 4 12's aren't to their limits yet. so at 140db, the single sub will distort because of the stress. thats the key thing if you want to have a system that is loud, and sound pretty darn good too. i too **** at explaining



    Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

  6. #6
    Brock's Avatar
    Brock is offline SEXYTIME!! NIIICE!



    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    KENTUCKY WHAT!!!
    Posts
    7,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by GSteg
    very true. u can get too much bass and make it sound all bad. but if you can turn the gain down or set the bass so where it gets comfortable and sound good then you're set. lets say you have a Pioneer 12" sub and it hits 140db on the mic. now if you can get say 4 of the same sub to hit 140db, the system with 4 subs is going to sound better. why? because the single 12" is already stressed out trying to hit 140db, while the 4 12's aren't to their limits yet. so at 140db, the single sub will distort because of the stress. thats the key thing if you want to have a system that is loud, and sound pretty darn good too. i too **** at explaining
    I was just about to edit my post and say something like that. damm you!




  7. #7
    denim's Avatar
    denim is offline SSAudio.com



    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    SSA HQ East
    Age
    37
    Posts
    28,255
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Brock
    I would stick to one or two subs for a SQ setup unless you are trying to reproduce a live concert with a really bad sound guy.





    CarAudio.com mod(original)

  8. #8
    Moocow16's Avatar
    Moocow16 is offline Master of Puppets



    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Detroit
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    does anybody here compete in sq competitions?




  9. #9
    Brock's Avatar
    Brock is offline SEXYTIME!! NIIICE!



    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    KENTUCKY WHAT!!!
    Posts
    7,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Moocow16
    does anybody here compete in sq competitions?
    I would if I only had the money and the time. My main objective is to have a nice sounding system for daily driving. Boo on the bassheads! j/k




  10. #10
    GSteg's Avatar
    GSteg is offline Custom User Title



    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    whee!!
    Posts
    2,831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Brock
    I was just about to edit my post and say something like that. damm you!
    :p



    Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

  11. #11
    jlaine's Avatar
    jlaine is offline Vaporware



    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Morris, MN
    Posts
    2,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Moocow16
    does anybody here compete in sq competitions?
    Yes.





  12. #12
    Moocow16's Avatar
    Moocow16 is offline Master of Puppets



    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Detroit
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what's it like, or rather, what do they actually grade you on? i was thinking that sq is more what you perceive, so i am a little confused on how others could grade your system if it's tuned to what you want it to sound like.




  13. #13
    jlaine's Avatar
    jlaine is offline Vaporware



    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Morris, MN
    Posts
    2,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Moocow16
    what's it like, or rather, what do they actually grade you on? i was thinking that sq is more what you perceive, so i am a little confused on how others could grade your system if it's tuned to what you want it to sound like.
    Imaging, tonality, spectral balance, stage height, stage width.... Varies some based on the competition format you choose to compete in (iasca, meca, usaci, slap, etal.)

    Then you have the RTA portion, etc.

    You will find often that if you are doing it enough, you have to learn to modify your system to match the judges personal tastes. Kind of screwy, but human hearing is different for everyone to some extent. When I'm judging, most have found that they have to turn their subs DOWN. My reference system (something you should always have)is always the system I designed for my house. I've found a lot of today's people like to hear their sub in the music, I want to hear the music.




Closed Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum