Closed Thread

Reload Thread: $800 To Spend. Expert Advice Needed

travolta is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

$800 To Spend. Expert Advice Needed

I drive a 1996 GMC Sierra extended cab, and am interested in buying a new system for it. I've tried to look up information on different kinds of speakers and what to look for and purchase, but it is just too much information. It would help me very much if somebody could help me with choosing a system for my truck. I need everything; a sub+enclosure, speakers, amp, and deck. I believe that my truck has 6.5" and 4x6" speakers. I listen to a lot of Nicotina, Smoov E, Rakim, Gangstarr and other artists. I'm need a system that REALLY hits hard but still sounds crisp. I also want a system that is not easy to damage. Im looking to spend around 700-800 dollars bought and installed. I would really be thankfull if you guys could provide some suggestions.

Thanks

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: $800 To Spend. Expert Advice Needed

I'm also thinking about buying in stages know, but don't know how I should do it. Should I get a new head unit and the 6 1/2's now or the amp and a sub or what? Should I get a component set? I don't know what to get and what order to get it in so if anybody could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by travolta
    Im looking to spend around 700-800 dollars bought and installed.
    Does that mean your having it installed? I would suggest installing by yourself. Its free and good to know.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would install it if I had the know how but I'm almost positive I'd mess everything up.

GordonW is offline Speakerfixer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For that budget, you might want to mix some new and some good USED equipment.

I'd go new with the head unit... something basic. Even the little $159 Alpine head unit from Best Buy would work... I just bought one of those, myself.

As for crossovers/amps... some good used stuff would probably go a long way. Older Alpine, Kenwood, Orion/Precision Power/ADS stuff or the like. If they're treated decently (not gotten wet or run into .5 ohm loads with dead batteries, etc), they'll last a VERY long time.

Speakers, you probably want new... but there's lots of really good stuff out there, for budget prices now. Like, maybe, an Adire sub, or something similar.

Even if you don't feel up to doing the whole install, you might be able to do SOME of it yourself. There's a number of primers on how to build subwoofer enclosures all over the place... and in fact, if you buy a woofer, you might be able to get help in this department, from wherever the sub comes from. If you can do the physical construction of the box, then you could have someone else wire it (this is usually the place where beginners mess up the most, IME) and do the rest of the "dirty work"...

Back in the day, we (a couple of friends and I) used to do this sort of "budget a**kicking system" many, many times. Sometimes just a couple of good small/moderate size amps, some GOOD speakers and a decent head unit can go a LONG way. Some of my fondest memories, were done for $500 to $750 for everything...

Regards,
    Gordon.

zachzchw is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by travolta
    I'm also thinking about buying in stages know, but don't know how I should do it. Should I get a new head unit and the 6 1/2's now or the amp and a sub or what? Should I get a component set? I don't know what to get and what order to get it in so if anybody could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Youll be more satisfied in the end if you buy it as your budget allows, and get better stuff, as opposed to buying it all at once, but settling for lesser products.

Start with the deck- its the centerpiece of your whole setup. Id highly recommend a Pioneer 880prs- tons of features, nice sound, and can be had for $300 on ebay.

As for installation, try to find a forum member near you- chances are, they will do it for a fraction of the price a shop would charge you.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys. Here's the setup I'm thinking about.

Amp: Orion 4002-$125

Component Speakers: CDT Audio CL-61A speakers with TW-24 tweeters & monster cable.-$160

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P4800MP-$150

Does that sound good or are there better things out there for my money?

GordonW is offline Speakerfixer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Truthfully, if the head unit has good skip resistance and preamp out jacks, it'll work. Any decent brand name. That Pioneer DEH-P4800 should be fine, as long as it has preamp outs.

As far as amps are concerned- I'd be inclined to get a good 4-channel amp, so you can add subwoofers and such easily. Something like the Alpine MRP-F450... 70w x 4 into 4 ohms, or 100w x4 into 2 ohms, 200x2 into 4 ohms bridged. It also has built in crossovers... it'll be a very versatile component, as you grow into the system. It's about $50 more than the Orion, by my looking around just now... but IMHO, it'd be worth it...

Don't know the CDT speakers... but from looking around, they look pretty decent...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you think installation will cost for all this?

thatkidbob is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hmmm...

-buy a higher end deck thats a few years old on ebay for 100 bucks...
    -buy a higher end used 4 channel amp on ebay for around 125 (i'm thinking something like a rockford 500a4 or JBL 360.4)
    -grab some JL XR 6.5's on ebay for around 200
    -forget the 4x6's...
    -buy a set of subs for 300 (you can get some good equipment for 300)
    -build your own box for 40

all of you wiring will run you about 50 (30 or 40 for a high quality 8 gauge 4 channel kit and 10 for the walmart 14 gauge speaker wire spool)

total cost: 815 (if i did the math right)

300 dollars worth of subs = 2 L7 10's, 2 Type-r 12's, 2 Comp VR 15's, 1 of most 18's... etc... in other words, solid equipment...

the JL XR's are one of the best comp sets in the under 300 price range...

the 4 channel can be bridged to run high powered comps at some point when you get a dedicated subwoofer amp, or to biamp comps, or run 2 comp sets and a sub, or whatever... its extremely flexable...

you can do a hell of a setup if you're patient enough and install the equipment yourself... its not hard with a lil common sense, a few tools, and the battery disconnected...

CAF refs: Faulkton, Megalomaniac, Negativezeroz, boomer, dipitydoo, 93 saturn sl2, bjfish11, netherland24 & scotthulbs
    SiN refs: Josh99ta, Derek, crzystng, MrSector9, Sinister Audio

Quote Originally Posted by faulkton View Post
    when i was in the army i would punch more bitches before breakfast than most people would punch all day.

Closed Thread