Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Alpine or Boston Acoustics?

sc197 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alpine or Boston Acoustics?

I'm planning on upgrading my front and rear speakers and I don't know which I should get. Alpine Type S/Type R (50wrms) comps or Boston Acoustics Pro60 (125wrms).

Should I get the Bostons for the fronts and the Type S coaxils for the rears? I would be giving the Bostons at least 100wrms and the Alpine's 50wrms, and I don't really want to run the rears off the HU. So finding a 4 channel amp that will give the Bostons 100wrms and the Alpines 50wrms will be hard, if there is such a thing. Unless I give the rears 100wrms but keeping the gains/volume down. Unless they can take more than 50wrms.

Or should I get the Type R comps for the front and Type S coaxils for the rears, and just give each pair 50wrms? Or get both Type S and Type R's for the front/rear. I don't really know what the difference is between the 2, besides Type R being an upgrade from Type S, but sound-wise.

I think the second option would be the easiest to get a matching 4-channel amp for, but I just need something that sounds good. Nice midbass and nice highs. My current speakers if you listen to rock and turn the volume up to a certain point (in order to hear everything good) the guitar and vocals get real loud that it's hard to listen to without getting your ears hurting. So I wanna get something with great SQ and the highs aren't pericing your ears. If they both produce great sound either way I'll just go with the second option.

Anyone have any feedback?

ravendarat is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Alpine or Boston Acoustics?

I have always prefered the sound of Boston over Alpine but its a personal opinion. Go listen to both choices and make the call from there. Sound is personal and my opinion shouldnt really matter to you.

VTEC is for people that want a fast and economical shopping cart

sc197 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the sad thing is, I can't find any Alpine or Boston Acoustics around here. It's all MTX and Pioneer stuff, and a bunch of low end crap that isn't worth looking at.

So since I don't have any connections to listen to all kinds of stuff, I'm just gonna take my chance and get people's feedback that have owned or heard those equipment before and take their word for it. It's risky, but I'm not a picky person. Anything that will sound better than some cheap Pioneers that I currently have I'll be pleased.

sc197 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sure I'll be pleased with either brand, but I want the best between the 2. Whatever puts out better sound than the other (not like annoyingly loud highs) I'll be pretty satisifed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok Fair enough. As I said I would do the Boston as I find they are just a smoother speaker. I have installed several pairs of the type R's and werent to impressed.

sc197 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How would I be able to power both front and rear speakers off an amp when the fronts have a higer rms rating? Say I got the Type S coaxils for the rears since I'm a fan of rear speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get an amp that will power the front speakers to their fullest extent then just trim the gain down on the rear speakers. The gain on an amp is used to match the output voltage from the deck but if you set the amp gains lower then what matches up it will cause no issues what so ever.

sc197 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know this is probably stupid but I think if the people in the public can hear your music, why not make it sound clean instead of loud and annoying to where people complain and can hear explicit words?

For instance when I'm outside walking or whatever and a car drives by, I love the sound when you can hear the highs really well. Not the words but the actual instruments or whatever, with a little bass being heard outside but not a lot. Hell I stood outside of Wal*Mart and a car like that drove by and this old lady said to her husband "I like the sound of that". Haha. Then you got those cars that everything is just loud. You can hear the words and everything just screaming out of the car. Not really into that.

I'm sure it's all into how you tune the speakers and having nice equipment, but are those Alpines or Boston's like how I mentioned above? Or are there any speakers you know that are like that?

That's probably the closest thing I've got to hear from speakers that I really like, just not sure what brand, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With the proper install and power the bostons can reach your goals

sc197 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also to point out I'm not trying to be heard or anything if my last post made it sound like that. I just figure if any equipment you get you're gonna be heard at least, why not go the clean SQ route than just getting everything to be "loud".

MBrock4u is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am a fan of alpine but for the fronts I would run the boston's they will be smoother and sq is great. I would run type s in the rear. You should be pleased.

60_cent is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

boston....

1992 cocaine white Acura Legend ***TOTALED 9/2009****
    Pioneer AVH-P4000dvd, Focal polyglass 165v1 front stage, (1) Fi SSD 12" sub ported
    RF T3002, T5001bd, monster cable wiring, optima yellow top, batcap, fatmat sound deadening

**NEW VEHICLE**
    2007 Chevy Impala SS LS4 5.3L V8
    Pioneer AVH 3200BT
    Kicker IX5001, IX5004, Kicker wiring
    Kicker QS 6.5 comps, KS 6x9's, Xtant x12b 2.0 cubic box tuned to 33 hertz

sc197 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will they sound like what I explained above? Or just "loud" ?

Would the Alpine's sound like that, too?

Kickerkitty is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sc197
    I know this is probably stupid but I think if the people in the public can hear your music, why not make it sound clean instead of loud and annoying to where people complain and can hear explicit words?

For instance when I'm outside walking or whatever and a car drives by, I love the sound when you can hear the highs really well. Not the words but the actual instruments or whatever, with a little bass being heard outside but not a lot. Hell I stood outside of Wal*Mart and a car like that drove by and this old lady said to her husband "I like the sound of that". Haha. Then you got those cars that everything is just loud. You can hear the words and everything just screaming out of the car. Not really into that.

I'm sure it's all into how you tune the speakers and having nice equipment, but are those Alpines or Boston's like how I mentioned above? Or are there any speakers you know that are like that?

That's probably the closest thing I've got to hear from speakers that I really like, just not sure what brand, etc.
    You just described my car. When I play Pink Floyd or Neil Diamond, or Bob Seger, people stop their car directly even with mine to listen.

I use Pro60's by the way.

sc197 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the Bostons are 3ohms and the Alpine Type S coaxils (for the rears) are 4ohms, how will I find a 4-channel amp that can power both speakers? Or would it be safe to power those Bostons @ a 4ohm load?

Also, what should I look for in a 4channel amp?

For example, 100x4 @ 4ohms? Does that mean each channel is putting out 100wrms, or does that mean all four channels will add up to 100wrms? So each channel is putting out 25wrms? i've never messed with any amps besides monoblocks, so this is new to me.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast