Reload Thread: System plan... please pick this apart

yacoub is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon7 System plan... please pick this apart

I'm considering the following:

HU: Alpine CDA-9856 (~$200)
    Component set: 6.5" Boston Pros (~$550?)
    Powered by: JL 300.2 amp ($430)

Possibly added later:
    JL 12W6v2
    Powered by: JL 500.1

My goal is first budget (~$1200 max for the HU, Components, and Amp, preferably installed).
    My goal is second SQ (components that best reproduce their full range without any obvious holes, and a good amp to power them appropriately).

I am not sure if the Bostons are the right choice for SQ. I know they need a lot of power and are great if you want minimal distortion at high volumes. That's not really what I'm going for though. They're just a good 'deal' because they're selling them at like half price at Tweeter because they're an old model now or something.

I want quality reproduction of the given range of frequencies for the components without any noticeable holes. Because of this I was also looking at Focal 165K2Ps (but in the store they are $1k, where as online they are half that price but I would then have to somehow install them myself. or the Focals around $500 in Tweeter (I think 165KF model?)

Any thoughts?

Btw, the Alpine 9856 has all of the specification features of the 9857 from what I could read, it just lacks some iPod features I don't care about, the remote, and the BioLite display. If there's any other difference b/w them, I am unaware of it.

jluv is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: System plan... please pick this apart

Don't buy "old model" Bostons. You can get a brand new set of Boston Pro 60s for $300-$350 if you shop around. You're right - they will sound clean at high volumes. If you have the power, go for it. I love mine. Granted, if you are serious about SQ, there are better comps out there. The sky is the limit, and everyone will have a personal favorite. For the money, I really dig the Bostons.

You can get the JL amp cheaper, too.

The 12W6 and 500/1 matchup would probably sound good with the right box. I'm sure you could feed it even more if you wanted.

Component install is a breeze, especially since the Bostons come with the tweeter mounted on axis with the mid. No need to disassemble it unless you're doing something custom. They also come with adapter plates if you have a 5x7 hole.

Head unit install is equally simple. You can surely find step by step instructions on the web, and you'll just need some basic hand tools.

Installing an amp isn't hard, but you might want to have someone assist you that has done at least one before, if you haven't.

I guess my main point is that you can save a ton of cash on labor charges if you grab your nuts and do the install yourself.

If you're looking for serious critique of your system, give us more details. What vehicle, speaker locations, wiring, type/size of box, listening style, music preference, etc? Good luck!

.::DuD3::. is offline EE in training

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah, i mean if you got the money go for it, but because i'm such a naturally cheap person, i could never see myself spending almost $600 for some components.

Designated "Fast and the Furious" quoter.

Pioneer 880prs
    PG Rsd 6.5
    15" Fi SSD w/copper coil
    Alpine PDX-1.600
    Alpine PDX-2.150
    Knukonceptz 1/0

Savstyle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

install it yourself its really easy and will you tons of cash. And if your willing to pay 550 on some comps i suggest you PM 6spdcoupe and ask him about teh rainbow germainiums WELL worth the money and for amp teh jl is nice but you could prolly find a better price somwhere on the net. Maybe ebay?

They Call Me DARKNESS

Gamertag: Savstyle

yacoub is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info. To answer your Qs:

Quote Originally Posted by jluv
    If you're looking for serious critique of your system, give us more details. What vehicle, speaker locations, wiring, type/size of box, listening style, music preference, etc? Good luck!
    2006 Civic EX sedan non-navi
    Stock speaker locations are tweeters up on the dash by the front window (a real pain to get to) and mids in the doors. There are also rear deck speakers that I would just disconnect, along with the dash tweeters, since the Alpine HU would probably overpower them both so they won't be useful for 'fill' unless I put other speakers in those spots later on.

I would put the components in the doors. You are right - I hadn't thought about the Boston's coaxial mounting which would save me the trouble of trying to mount tweeters somewhere else on the doors where there really isn't a good place on the new Civic sedan.

Wiring - I have no clue what to do with wiring. I would love to learn about that.
    I also don't know what else should be upgraded for a safety-conscious guy like me (battery? alternator?)
    Type/size of box - forget the sub for now since that's down the road, but I'd probably do a ported box at as low as possible for the 12w6 in order to get the best low bass reproduction because:

Music preference: Varies but mostly hard rock and vocal trance. Very different styles - Hard rock needs sharp punching bass with clean, defined hits on drums yet smooth bass guitar. Vocal trance often has sweeping lows that reach as low as an average sub can go and other times thumping beats (but those get annoying to me so I wouldn't be thumping any loud monotonous basslines). Vocal trance also matches up with SQ for the components. Gotta have pretty solid reproduction of the entire range the components are listed as reproducing without any noticeable holes.

Listening style: Volume levels that aren't painful, mostly low enough that it won't cause any hearing damage, occasionally cranking for the enjoyment of a really clean vocal piece or part of a song that shows off SQ well, but even then not terribly high. Put it this way - I cringe very quickly when most people start to crank their systems to show them off. So again that's why I'm not really looking for speakers that can take tons of power and sound clean - that's just not my primary concern. I want ones that reproduce sound well across the range and sound clean and strong without having to throw a bucket of wattage their way and hurt my ears. =)

yacoub is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Niggz89
    install it yourself its really easy and will you tons of cash. And if your willing to pay 550 on some comps i suggest you PM 6spdcoupe and ask him about teh rainbow germainiums WELL worth the money
    Well I'd love to get away with spending less on the components. I was mostly posting Tweeter's prices due to my assumption of having them install it so I don't screw it up.

So these Geranium things are really good eh? I see lots of mentions for them around these forums. I have no idea what they're like though. Are they known for their SQ or simply handling a lot of power cleanly like the Boston Pros?

I could do $600 on components I'd just want them to be worth $600 to me, which is hard to judge without hearing them first-hand. I mean I tested the Polk SR6500s, JL ZX, and Focal 165K2Ps in Tweeter and none of them were worth the $900-1000 they ask for those. Half that price and I would consider the Focals (in other words, about the price they're at on WoofersEtc) but I would need to hear them again to be sure. But again Tweeter will only install hardware you buy at their store. So for $1k, I was like "forget the Focals".

and for amp teh jl is nice but you could prolly find a better price somwhere on the net. Maybe ebay?
    Great I'd love to hear amp recommendations in the same range of price and quality (or better on that count) than the JL 300.2. Amps are something I know little about beyond JL and the basics of Class A/B vs Class D (but even that I don't know which I'd want since I haven't listened to both side by side). I also know not to buy JL online so I would anticipate spending the retail price for a JL amp. That said, I would also be interested in any amp of better quality that can be had for around $400 (ie, from brands that CAN be bought online with manufacturer approval / without voiding the warranty).
    Last edited by yacoub; 06-12-2006 at 11:01 PM.

azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

everything but the comps is pimp

6spdcoupe is offline tends to get a bit cranky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azbass
    everything but the comps is pimp
    +1 Im with this guy. ^^^

DVI-9990/TMI-M990/PXI-H990
    TRU Billet 2200 ..Dyn Esotar 1200
    TRU Billet 4100 ..Dyn Esotar110/Esotar430
    TRU Billet 4100 ..DYN MD182s

Refs:
    Way to many to list, seriously. I lost count when it passed 100

yacoub is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So what would you guys suggest doing about the comps? Ditch the Boston Pro60s for Focal or JL or [one of the brands mentioned on forums like this one that I can't actually preview in person in a store]?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yacoub
    So what would you guys suggest doing about the comps? Ditch the Boston Pro60s for Focal or JL or [one of the brands mentioned on forums like this one that I can't actually preview in person in a store]?

Whatever you do, don't ditch the Bostons for JLs.

yacoub is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well while i haven't heard the Bostons, I heard the JL ZRs and didn't think they sounded quite as good (close but not the same) as the Focal 165K2Ps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yacoub
    well while i haven't heard the Bostons, I heard the JL ZRs and didn't think they sounded quite as good (close but not the same) as the Focal 165K2Ps.

I have head the ZRs on a soundboard, but not in a vehicle. I have, however, owned the XRs. They get loud without a lot of power, but they aren't all that smooth or accurate. When I tried to be a little aggressive with them, the crossover would do it's job and shut the tweeter off. That happened a lot at way less volume than what I run on the Pro60s now. I still ended up blowing a tweet on one of my XRs. I've been cranking these Bostons with no issues at all. They sound great.

headless is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just get a set of germaniums I listen almost entirely to vocal trance, dance, etc. and the germaniums absolutely rock the hell out at reproducing the midbasslines that dominate this style of music. They also absolutely kick *** at reproducing the kickdrums and guitarwork in some hard rock 450$ a set, and they'll be VERY HAPPY on 2x120w or so. Clear and smooth soft dome tweeter backed up with awesome midbass I've got mine cross over @ 80hz/24db and they pound Didn't even deaden my doors yet. Check out my install thread if you want to see a DIY jobbie wit 'em. http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149933

Eclipse CD7000 - RioCar Empeg 3
    Rainbow Powerline CS 275.27 / Arc Audio 4150 XXK (Woofers) - Arc Audio 2100 XXK (Tweeters)
    Rainbow Vanadium 12 x2 / Arc Audio 1500 XXK
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAM HAMMER
    Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawson72
    Technically, bigger wire has more resistance.

yacoub is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

awesome write-up, headless. question: what's the reason for having a battery in the trunk? if i were running the 300.2 to germaniums and a 500.1 to a sub would i need to upgrade my battery and/or alternator or whatever?

Oh also, the guy to PM about Germaniums is "6spdcoupe", right?

headless is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heya - I put the batt in the trunk when i was first getting into car audio and didn't know any better If i had that 150$ again, i'd spend it on a bigger alternator (which it turns out i dont need anyway). It is nice to be able to play my system without the engine on for an extended period of time though, so i'll say that's my reason

I believe i got mine from 3.5Max6spd

Eclipse CD7000 - RioCar Empeg 3
    Rainbow Powerline CS 275.27 / Arc Audio 4150 XXK (Woofers) - Arc Audio 2100 XXK (Tweeters)
    Rainbow Vanadium 12 x2 / Arc Audio 1500 XXK
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAM HAMMER
    Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawson72
    Technically, bigger wire has more resistance.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast