Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: sq setup

x5-452 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sq setup

i want to know what kind of speakers would make the best sound stage on my car. (bmw 3series)
    5.5 or 6.5? 3way comps?, 2way comps?, what sub size would be best? and how many subs? whats the dif. between midrange and midbass? and does it really make a dif having midrange and midbass?
    i really dont need name brands just an overall setting.
    what would u do to make the best sq setup?
    peace
    oh and pleeeeaaseee guys, dont tell me to go out there and listen to everything because what sounds good to u may sound bad to me. i know i have to do that and i will when i go out and look for the speakers. thanx

"girls kick ***!!... it says so on a t-shirt!"

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    probably 6.5 3 way comps....1-2 sq subs 10's or 12's(shiva) midrange handle the upper bass and middle freq. the midbass handle the middle and part of the upper bass....and a 3 way sounds better than a 2 way.....

x5-452 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok thanx... but yet another q?
    i know the 6.5 handle the midrange... but what kind of speaker handles midbass?
    and would i really need it?
    peace

MxRacerCam is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    a pair of either 5.5 or 6.5 components in the kicks, some midbass in the doors (either a pair of 6.5's or singles 8's) and whatever size subs you can fit. done well, this will win you trophies all day and night. and yes, midbass are a good idea. it brings the bass to the front of the vehicle, instead of behind you.

-dave

95 Ford Ranger Ext. Cab
    S.Q. System....

Clarion DXZ-716
    Boston Pro 6.5
    JL 300/4
    2) JL 10W3
    JL 500/1

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have never had a good 5 1/4 so I cant say there, but when set up correctly a good 6 1/2 can cover midbass and midrange without stretching its limits. It just depends on how you want to set it up.. There have been competitors that use 2 way comps and a single sub that do very well.. The more speakers you have the harder it is to set up the system to where it it sounds good.. Something to keep in mind.

Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    well a 3 way componet will have a tweet, a mid range, and a mid bass driver.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    for the frequencies that a midbass will cover, i think a single set of 6.5's may be stretching it a bit. using a second set, positioned immediately next to the other set, won't create any imaging problems. i think i'd still rather run a 6.5 and tweet in the kicks, and a set of 8's in the doors for midbass. i think with the limited range that a midbass would cover wouldn't mess up the image much, since it will be covering mainly low freq. material....

95 Ford Ranger Ext. Cab
    S.Q. System....

Clarion DXZ-716
    Boston Pro 6.5
    JL 300/4
    2) JL 10W3
    JL 500/1

x5-452 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok... another q?
    how would i fit an 8" speaker in my bmw front doors?
    id have to make a custom door panel right?
    oh and i guess i would need a special crossover to divide my signals correctly right?
    same as a 4ch amp for regular speakers, a 2 channel for the 8" and a mono for the subs....
    mmm... have to start saving up all that cash
    thanx guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by x5-452
    ok... another q?
    how would i fit an 8" speaker in my bmw front doors?
    id have to make a custom door panel right?
    oh and i guess i would need a special crossover to divide my signals correctly right?
    same as a 4ch amp for regular speakers, a 2 channel for the 8" and a mono for the subs....
    mmm... have to start saving up all that cash
    thanx guys
    yeah, you'd have to build out your door panels to house the eights. some vehicles can house them behind the panels, though you'll still have to build enclosures for them.

an electronic x-over, either built into an amp, or external, would work for your system....

95 Ford Ranger Ext. Cab
    S.Q. System....

Clarion DXZ-716
    Boston Pro 6.5
    JL 300/4
    2) JL 10W3
    JL 500/1

Primetime is offline Senior Hoopster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey, MX how is that single 10w3? is it enough? I am either going to get one of those or a 12w3.

Thanks
    D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Primetime
    hey, MX how is that single 10w3? is it enough? I am either going to get one of those or a 12w3.

Thanks
    D
    i'm actually running a pair of them. as far as if they are enough or not, well thats up to you. i like a little more bass than most pure sq guys, and the two tens are more than enough (plus they don't take up much room in my truck!). i think one ten may be a little lean for most people, but again, it depends on the listener. if you must go with a single driver, i'd probably say go with the 12". my rule of thumb... go with the largest sub(s) you are willing to fit in your vehicle. as far as the jl's go.... the w3's are a little dated, and you may be able to find a better deal on a adire sub (or something along those lines) but jl's have always been super reliable for me, and i like that!

-dave

95 Ford Ranger Ext. Cab
    S.Q. System....

Clarion DXZ-716
    Boston Pro 6.5
    JL 300/4
    2) JL 10W3
    JL 500/1

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    clearing the fog as I read this morning.. I had a few thoughts on upfront bass..
    Focal has a 5" subwoofer that is well suited for mounting in doors and requires a small enclosure.. Or if you do choose to go with 8's look into aperiodic type enclosures.. It allows you to build them smaller than a sealed with more bass output similar to a ported..
    My .02

Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    run a 15". you'll want to reproduce the lower frequencies that 12 and 10"'s usually can't

Brock is offline SEXYTIME!! NIIICE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by GSteg
    run a 15". you'll want to reproduce the lower frequencies that 12 and 10"'s usually can't
    while at the same time leaving out kick drums and quick bass hits and all around sounding like a loose fart rather than a tight bass note.

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Brock
    while at the same time leaving out kick drums and quick bass hits and all around sounding like a loose fart rather than a tight bass note.

that's what midbass drivers are for. kick drums and the "tightness" comes from midbass drivers. take all your speakers out and let the subs play by themselves. you'll be suprised to see how muddy and "tight" they really sound. it may seem sloppy because most people don't have enough midbass. 15"s usually have better sound quality than equivelent smaller diameter speakers. take a 10" and a 15" (providing the 15" should have a stronger BL) and use a crossover and set each sub at 60hz low pass and 30hz highpass. they will hit the same, except the 15" will be louder in the mean time.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast