Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alpine 9855 & PXA-H600?

I have currently have an Alpine 9855, which with the bass engine pro gives me time correction, active xovers, and a 5 band p-eq. My brother recently found his external processor.....Alpine PXA-H600 while cleaning out his closet, and offered to give it to me. It's in perfect shape, in the box with manual and all the parts including the mic, and dash controller.

Is there any reason I would want to use it?

Oh...here's my system....

Front components are Alpine DDDrive 6.5's (DDC-F17C)
    (these bring me to another question I'll ask in a sec)

Sub is a Kicker CVX10 in a sealed enclosure
    PPI-2100 drives the fronts
    PPI-2150 running bridged to the sub
    HU is the aforementioned Alpine 9855

I am not sure I like the mid's on those components, they have that little tiny neosomthin magnet, and seem to be a bit lacking in the bass dept....I also have some Boston Acoustic Pro 6.5LF mids left over from a previous system. What do you think of swaping them in? Using the Alpine passive DDD crossovers, and tweeters and the Boston mid drivers?

Right now I have the gains on my amp turned down to probably only 25-30% because I am a little afraid of blowing the front speakers....the DDD's are rated at 50 watt rms, and 200 watt max. My amp puts out a conserative 100 watts rms.

All ideas, help, and hints are welcome!

takeabao is offline Audiophile

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Alpine 9855 & PXA-H600?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcon67
    I have currently have an Alpine 9855, which with the bass engine pro gives me time correction, active xovers, and a 5 band p-eq. My brother recently found his external processor.....Alpine PXA-H600 while cleaning out his closet, and offered to give it to me. It's in perfect shape, in the box with manual and all the parts including the mic, and dash controller.

Is there any reason I would want to use it?

Oh...here's my system....

Front components are Alpine DDDrive 6.5's (DDC-F17C)
    (these bring me to another question I'll ask in a sec)

Sub is a Kicker CVX10 in a sealed enclosure
    PPI-2100 drives the fronts
    PPI-2150 running bridged to the sub
    HU is the aforementioned Alpine 9855

I am not sure I like the mid's on those components, they have that little tiny neosomthin magnet, and seem to be a bit lacking in the bass dept....I also have some Boston Acoustic Pro 6.5LF mids left over from a previous system. What do you think of swaping them in? Using the Alpine passive DDD crossovers, and tweeters and the Boston mid drivers?

Right now I have the gains on my amp turned down to probably only 25-30% because I am a little afraid of blowing the front speakers....the DDD's are rated at 50 watt rms, and 200 watt max. My amp puts out a conserative 100 watts rms.

All ideas, help, and hints are welcome!
    Well it's up to you. IIRC, the H600 has 24-bit DACs built onboard and can manage 3-way active xover networks... It was designed to be used with something like CDA-7969 or even the 7909 via Toslink optical-digital -- something that the CDA-9855 does not have...

In a nutshell, there really isn't any use for it for you, UNLESS you get an old-school Alpine deck which actually, isn't a bad idea. Old school Alpine is superb build quality and I like that retro look.

Alpine DDDrive was their flagship lineup so props to you for keepin those! I wouldn't switch in a different midrange. Alpine crossovers are designed for Alpine speakers.

The H600 was deemed "too advanced for its time" by 99% of the shop owners as nobody knew how to use it with all its features. Alpine, at one time, held training sessions for their partners to learn how to use the H600...

Dcon67 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Alpine 9855 & PXA-H600?

Well, I guess I'll stick with my current HU. My brother originally had a 79xx, the one with a full copper chassis, that went with that processor. But when he sold the the car and pulled the system out, he sold the hu to a buddy of his.

You're not the first person to tell me not to split up those speakers/crossovers....So I guess I will stick with the advice, and leave em alone. I think they were like 6-$700 a pair originally. But I think I will increase the gain some, and just up the crossover a bit. I had it at 80hz, so I think it will be ok if I up it to 100hz.

Closed Thread