Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Factory HU vs Aftermarket

chefhow is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Factory HU vs Aftermarket

OK Folks I went into a couple of local shops today to listen to the DLS and Morel components that I am looking into and the guys at both shops told me not to use the factory HU in my setup. I had actually talked to one of the owners about purchasing the JL Cleansweep which I was going to buy. Is the difference really that huge? I listen to my iPod most of the time and when I'm not it's XM. My system is going to consist of either the Morel Hybrid 3way or the DLS UP36(probably the Morel), a DLS A5, and a JL Stealthbox with a 10W3. LMK if I am crazy to stay with the factory HU and if I should go aftermarket which HU to use. It needs to be XM ready and have an iPod interface.My budget is going to be no more than $300 since I spent more on the comps and amp. Thanks

Cris is offline This pic ruined my Ipod

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Factory HU vs Aftermarket

If you're looking to spend that much for your components, don't skip out on a HU. I wouldn't ever feel good about using any trick to make a factory HU better.. they're factory HU's and they **** ***, period.

I'd say go with another HU.

Head Unit: Alpine 9815 Front Stage: Alpine SPX-177r
    Front Stage Amp: Pioneer gm-x374 Sub: JL 12w6v2 in a 1.5cu ft vented enclosure
    Sub Amp:
    Kenwood KAC-8151D Music Source: 60gb Ipod Photo through alpine kca-420i.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would disagree with the above statement by Cris. If your car is decently new, the factory CD players really aren't all that bad. There is an article published by someone like David Navone or Tom Nousaine (or someone of their status..if I get bored later I might look for it) that showed that most modern CD players are of equivalent quality to most mid-level (~$300-$350 retail or so) aftermarket CD players. The main disadvantage is that most of them have built in, non-bypassable equalization....but the JL Cleansweep completely irradicates that issue. Plus, if your factory CD player is one of the newer style that is part of other systems (door chimes, etc) that can be a headache to deal with and also many of the PITA installation issues to deal with if it's newer and oddly integrated into the dash....no, I would not say at all that you are crazy. In fact, I would say it's a viable, understandable and good option.

One of the JL demo vehicles for CES used the factory headunit with the JL Cleansweep with no external equalization, etc. Here is some good info about it...including some comments from the cars owner (and JL employee) Manville Smith.

My one suggestion would be to allow some room in your budget, atleast in the future, for the potential for external equalization if necessary. But I would definitely say that if you have a newer vehicle with a decent CD player and one that may be a pain in the *** to deal with (due to either cosmetics or integration), that going the route of the JL Cleansweep is definitely a good option for you and you are not crazy for contemplating using it.
    Last edited by squeak9798; 04-08-2006 at 10:11 PM.

chefhow is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    I would disagree with the above statement by Cris.
    My one suggestion would be to allow some room in your budget, atleat in the future, for the potential for external equalization if necessary. But I would definitely say that if you have a newer vehicle with a decent CD player and one that may be a pain in the *** to deal with (due to either cosmetics or integration), that going the route of the JL Cleansweep is definitely a good option for you and you are not crazy for contemplating using it.

Thanks for the help. I am driving an 02 PT Cruiser with the Infinity System that has the 3 disk changer in the dash.

Closed Thread