Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: how much would you know about car audio if it wasn't for the internet?

Slaugh is offline CarAudio.com Moron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how much would you know about car audio if it wasn't for the internet?

i was recently thinking what would i be in the car audio hobbie if it wasn't for the internet... to start with i would probably have some Pioneer hu (the bluerer and the more dolphins on it, the better!!), Pyramid or Audiobahn (BEAUTIFUL!!! RIGHT?!) amplifiers , best looking subs (XPLOD maybe) i could get and oem speakers on my doors... i would judge equipment for it's looks instead of it's sound or anything else (not bashing on Pioneer of course... i know it's a great brand, but it seems they've been becoming more remarkable these days for their cosmetics rather than their sound itself) ... whatever, i would have a COMPLETELY different system that i now have... i would know jackshit about audio, but in my head i would be always right... you've probably have met one of these people before, scares me to think that i could be one them...

just to mention, today i was willing to find out how some component kit sounded like (to start with i found it for sale on internet classifieds) and all i had to do was to start a thread here and in instants i got the answer i wanted.... what about the rest of my system.. i entirely built my system searching on the internet and i bought nearly all my equipments through it...

i wonder how much people had to be into this thing to really research about it back in the 80's/early 90's.... i know many of you are from the old age, i think you guys have great attitude for never quitting it...

getting off-topic a bit, i also remember in the pre-internet days (<1996) most things were tough to find out, and you would collect knowledge from mouth to mouth with school mates and others around you... i remember discovering about music and video games and all that stuff... i remember asking and hearing a lot from people about bands, games and all the stuff i loved back in the day... we would buy lots of CDs and loan many of them (of course not always we would have them back )... i would also buy tons of magazines, like one for every day of the week... i recall those CDs that came along with computer games magazines, and that was the only way i could play Demo version of games such as Alone in the Dark, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, etc... well let's not forget the cheat codes from our favorite games... imagine how we would know them without the magazines... i wish i could have my old mags back again ... i'd love to re-read them

today all you have to do is seach on the internet (google, forums, etc...) and you can easily get everything you need... maybe things are getting better someway, but come to think about it... we're getting less and less social... and maybe things are getting too **** easier... or is it not? what was the subject of this thread again?

LOL internets

psych0ticnemes1 is offline Psych0tic Customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

Re: how much would you know about car audio if it wasn't for the internet?

i would know very little...

References:

Ali1, michaellane, cadillac114, chasinSKURT, DaRevrin, rhuff80, sam yung, The215, tukn18s, Xenophontos,nuboot,jfitz97,LuckyDerDer 2x

AcidicDreams is offline I don't need one of these

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Driving a 2003 Lexus GS430 and a 1996 Lexus LS400
    GS430 - Massive RK Tweets/Crossovers + Phass MW650 NEO Mids, JBL GTO 755.6 amp, IDQ12v2 in 1cu ft sealed substage

Refs: CA.com - excelerater, fosgate140, 99StangGt, desertheat, Frito, digital mint, dkguitarist, BoominBeast (didn't scam me), Fast1one, shiipseki, newtitan, Scoobydoo, spudracer326, sr_se-r, redlinese-r, James Bang, tweet02, effenay, and Mike Dressure ::: ECA - BBOYSTEVIE, Need-SQ ::: DIYMA - macxx, Kuztimrodder (very happy), and azngotskills

bimma85 is offline Can't be ****** ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Uh, prolly everything the people at the car audio shops told me

REFS:JimJ, DBfan187, jimj, ology audio, excelerater, private pastry, kenny pollock, priosonnumber6, johnnyber, mattmmcs, vosschs, lax916, davidfre21, iceteebone, cd6551, vladd and others that I cant remember off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by snb778
    I feel like when im bumpin once it gets dark....the street lights often go out. I was driving home the other night and like 3 street lights went out in like 15 minutes.
    Does this happen a lot to any of you??
    Also if you have had the twix ice cream......isnt it amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleNTheTrunk
    damn. 8 10"s?........80" of cone area FTW!

AndyB is offline 1/4 of "****** Popsicle"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Probably that there is nothing wrong with walmart audio, and local audio shops dont rip you off, they really want to be honest and build a quality system for you at a good price.

"I only know thats a black lady cuz theres pubes on her head too" - vosschs
    "That's what you get for owning more than one piece of ****." - Mountaineer Man
    "Power output on a red @ 14.4 v wired down to .5 ohm?" - 404
    "Their", "they're", and "there" are
    three different words that have three
    different meanings, and three different
    situations that you can use them correctly in.
    sold to: godzukiduce

MemphisSoul4U is offline The Black 'Hoe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would think caps were teh shiz...
    But I still wouldn't run Audiobahn. They've always been crappy to me...

1/3 of Team SMD AMI.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenics View Post
    I ask my fellow members not to think of me as just another poster, but as a instrument in gods hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet06Camry
    By the way I can't stand 3 six mafia.. I bump real ****...
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5
    i officially nominate MemphisSoul for avatar and sig of the year....I could watch her do that all day....round and round they go weeeeeee....
    RIP to my avatar...

azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i dont use the internet for car audio knowledge. its hands on experience.

Blunt is offline 2009 ProStock 0-600 Champ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd know tons cause the local shops know it all come on who needs the internet

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    Ever laughed so hard that your spincter hurt? Think that's what it feels like when you stuck in a cage with an ape during mating season?
    87 S-10 Ext Cab 4x4
    3 Treo SSX 15's
    1 Treo CXT4.1i
    2 200 amp Ohio Gen Alts

2009 USACi Pro Stock 0-600 World Champion
    TEAM DB DRIVEN
    TEAM TREO
    BROKEN SILENCE C.C.

refs: HCCAfan,meka,slain93gsr,spitfirees20,iceteebone,sa kura,john payton,Mr. Loki, 96MaxGLE, speedfreak28

OldOneEye is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I did it the old fashion way, reading everything at the newstand for years. Low Rider, Truckin, Mini Trucking, Car Audio Magazines, 12 CES shows, IASCA finals, CMAA shows, etc. I visited every shop I would come across back in the day, collect every brochure, kept every brochure until this week........

170 pounds later (yes, 170 pounds of product lit I have picked up over 12 CES and 17 years in the hobby) they are all going to a good home. Need to get rid of the pack rat mentality.

Learned some stuff on the net, learned quite a bit more before I even got on.

Juan

heyman421 is offline Veteran Camel Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love being able to read actual normal people's experiences with different equipment, and not having to rely on dealers or vendors opinions to choose my gear. i dont personally have the funds to find out about high-end gear 'hands-on' before i purchase, so getting to hear other people's experiences, not necessarily opinions, even, but objective observations about equipments strengths and weaknesses, really helps a lot.

Still have to take some opinions with a grain of salt, especially since some people are quick to knock the equipment you want cause they've never heard it, or because it's not what they have/like but there's definitely some extremely helpful people here, and on other forums.

Not knocking jl, i'm sure it's awesome equipment, but i went to my local jl dealer to hear a w6 and a w7 before i bought my alpine type-x, and the dude at the shop told me that they don't have them on display, because they're too $$$$. So i started asking him questions about the speaker, since he obviously had some experience with them (i was genuinely interested) and he told me 'most people that walk in here have already done their research and know what they want) when i asked him how i could be sure i wanted to spend $1k for a sub without hearing it or talking to him about it he just said (when people want the best sub, i tell them to get the w7) and that was the end of the conversation. Again, i'm not knocking jl, but that's a perfect example of what most of us would have to deal with if it weren't for these forums. I got some advice from a few members, hotcarl, namely, who has owned type-x's and w7's, and i decided the x's were enough for me.

So, in short, if it weren't for these forums, i would know very little about car stereos, and THINK i knew a whole lot more than i did. And i think it's funny how apparent it becomes that MOST people know very little, and think they know a LOT once you actually start learning more about car stereos, or any hobby for that matter. I think it's really funny when i go back and talk to the people i thought really knew their stuff back before i really got interested, and started educating myself about all there is to know about car electronics. I called up the shop where i bought my last sub (a 15" kicker l7) to ask him what my last box was tuned to, since i was thinking about getting back into stereos, and he told me 40hz. I asked him if he could make me a box tuned around 30-35hz, and he told me he wouldn't do it, because tuning that low is only for competitions, and to have good sound quality, you need to tune to 40-50hz!!!

Slammed is offline Benny Lava

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I wouldve still been with my Rockford Fosgate and HiFonics gear

freakin intraweb got me addicted to this hobby.

Honda H/U - PG RSD65 - Seas Neo - Audiocontrol LC6 - Blaupunkt BX-01E - MTX 405 Amplifer - 03 E15K (32hz)

Slammed is offline Benny Lava

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OldOneEye
    I did it the old fashion way, reading everything at the newstand for years. Low Rider, Truckin, Mini Trucking, Car Audio Magazines....

Juan

me too...especially LRM

I remember back then how bad I wanted JL W6s and Orion HCCA amps.....

Honda H/U - PG RSD65 - Seas Neo - Audiocontrol LC6 - Blaupunkt BX-01E - MTX 405 Amplifer - 03 E15K (32hz)

MBrock4u is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No doubt the intenet has played a big role in car audio knowledge. People have given me ideals and some product to really consider, but I have always had a intrest in this so I have always believed in hands on research. It is a combonation of all things. But my ears are the final judge.

faulkton is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OldOneEye
    I did it the old fashion way, reading everything at the newstand for years. Low Rider, Truckin, Mini Trucking, Car Audio Magazines, 12 CES shows, IASCA finals, CMAA shows, etc. I visited every shop I would come across back in the day, collect every brochure, kept every brochure until this week........

170 pounds later (yes, 170 pounds of product lit I have picked up over 12 CES and 17 years in the hobby) they are all going to a good home. Need to get rid of the pack rat mentality.

Learned some stuff on the net, learned quite a bit more before I even got on.

Juan
    im glad your getting the PG lit scanned

pretty funnay eugy

faulkton is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

i would not know nearly as much as i think i do now..im sure i would spout fewer half truths and misrepresentation of facts if the interweb didnt convince me i knew so much.

pretty funnay eugy

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast