Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Mounting subs upside down.

1BadHawk is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mounting subs upside down.

Ive seen subs mounted upside down. Is there a benefit to this? What effects does this produce? more or less bass? and can any sub be mounted this way or does it have to be designed for use in this manner.

One other thing. Im planning on building a custom a box for my Trans Am to cover the rear hatchback cubby. Ill be puting in two 12's when I get them. Does the size of the box make a difference on the sound the subs will produce and if so is there an optimum size? how do I find out what size I should make it.

marcopolo is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is really not that important how the subs are positioned. There is no special benefit from them if they are turned upside down - everybody would do that, if there was some advantage! It is just one of the possibilities how to mount the sub - in many home sound systems there are so called "down-firing" subs, which are turned towards the floor and make the floor shake more - maybe it's a good feeling when watching a movie.

And, yes, the size of the box MATTERS!! In fact, almost everything depends on the size of the box. If you're planning to build a sealed enclosure than the volume is not so much important as it is with ported (and bandpass) systems. When building a ported box, pay attention to the size and the lenght of the port also.

To find out what size of the box you need, you have to now exactly what sub will you be running and all the technical data about it, put it in a box desig program (i.e. WinISD) and it will calculate it for you. If you have no experience with that, maybe some more experienced member will calculate it for you.

Good luck!

- Pioneer DEH-5500MP
    - Magnat Xtrema 216 components
    - macAudio aluminium 12" sub
    - Phase Linear 1.2kW amp

1BadHawk is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think Im going to go with two twelve inch Pioneer TS-W304DVC's

You mention WinISD is this a program that calculates the box size and where can I get it?

marcopolo is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon14

Yes, WinISD calculates the size of the box you'll need. It can calculate the box for 2 drivers too, since you're planning to have two pioneers. But you should run them BRIDGED from the amp, if they will be sharing the same room in the box. If you're gonna have like one of them on the right and the other on the left chanel, than you should separate the space for each sub (because they won't be getting the exactly same signal and that can cause a minor cancelation at some situations).
    You can get WinISD on www.linearteam.dk/winisd.html

C ya!

- Pioneer DEH-5500MP
    - Magnat Xtrema 216 components
    - macAudio aluminium 12" sub
    - Phase Linear 1.2kW amp

fantomas is offline show her the oh face

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    if you mount the sub so that the driver is on the outside, you wont have to build quite as big of a box as you would have if they were mounted "normally". It wont make too much of a difference unless you are very tight on space and need that extra .5 cf (or whatever) of space. one other advantage is that the driver will run a little more cooler being on the outside due to air circulation.
    other than that, sometimes seeing the magnet is more visually apealing than not.
    -scott

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    audiobahns look better inverted......hiding the chrome should be against the law

actually, you can lose a couple tenths in a ported enclosure by inverting the sub....doesn't make sense to me either, but i've experimented and found it to be true.

i can't believe that nobody has said this yet, but if you invert your sub, make sure you reverse the polairity of the sub to keep it in phase....when the sub is backwards, it needs to pull, not push to sound right.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by LoneRanger
    i can't believe that nobody has said this yet, but if you invert your sub, make sure you reverse the polairity of the sub to keep it in phase....when the sub is backwards, it needs to pull, not push to sound right.
    Damit you beat me to it....

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

fantomas is offline show her the oh face

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Originally posted by LoneRanger
    audiobahns look better inverted......hiding the chrome should be against the law
    thats exactly what i was thinking...couldn't think of the model number of the one with the flames, but here it is: (aw1208q)
    http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/Ca...ct+%23=aw1208q
    I wouldnt mind just having that sub as a centerpiece on my dining room table......

i forgot to mention that part, but you know, thats why you guys are here...to remind us of all the details. -scott

Closed Thread

User Tag List