Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Upgrading system, looking for feedback.

Llamas is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Upgrading system, looking for feedback.

It's musical chairs time. My wife has her new Mini Cooper S, and it's time for me to retire my '89 Celica to move up to my wife's old '95 Camry.

I want to upgrade its stock stereo. The plan seems to change every time I read some new posts and see what other people have out there, but I think I've settled on some general stuff; a balance between the minimum to make me happy and the urge to get that next better thing.

HU: Alpine CDA-7894 (want MP3s)
    Speakers: Infinity Kappa 63.5i
    or Crystal CSc60t or comparable 6.5" component set
    (leave rears as stock, and fade to front)
    Amps: ??
    Sub: 1 x 12" E12KD4

I'm more interested in SQ than SPL. I listen to rock a lot more than rap. I listen loud when it's a song I like, but we're talking 80-90dB, not 130.

The coax speakers would be nice because I could leave the interior of the car looking stock, except for the removable faceplate on the HU. The component speakers would be nicer sounding, though... If I go that route, I'd like to flush mount the tweeters on the doors, with aimable (at install time) mounts.

I've seen enough different amp suggestions out there that I'm left thinking that I could choose any of a number of amps and not have a problem. JBL 300.1 for the sub? What about a 2-channel for the fronts? Or should I go with a single, more powerful 4-channel, with 2 to the front and 2 bridged to the sub?

I need to start looking at install pics. I have no problems pulling door panels, seats, etc., but I want to keep the trunk functional as cargo space, so I need figure out how to mount the amps and sub so that they are out of the way, well ventilated, and mounting hardware isn't puncturing the gas tank. Being able to get the spare tire out if I need to would be an added bonus...

Help or links to info on any of these area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Mike

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Sounds like you know where your going . Nice choices of equipment. I would say stick to your idea of the jbl 300.1 and a 2 channel amp. Unless later on down the road you plan on upgrading your rear speakers a well. Then in that case I would go ahead and get a four channel amp instead of a 2 channel. The best place I know of to get ideas for installs is the member pages at Soundomain. http://www.sounddomain.com

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Llamas is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So, if I decide on the Crystal Component speakers (I am going to listen to some, tonight), what would be a good amp? If I am using a JBL 300.1 for the sub, should I just grab a JBL 180.2 (for 90x2@4ohm) for the speakers, or are there other amps that are better for the money (or slightly more) or other amps that are just as good for less (USX?)?

Thanks,

--Mike

Closed Thread

User Tag List