Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Redoing system in my car. For most part.

bigbangtheory is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Redoing system in my car. For most part.

Well I have to say I am not completley happy with my currnent setup. I am currently running what is down in my sig and most of it I want to keep. I just think it is the way it was installed. Back in the day I would do all of the audio but I have 2 pulled dics in my back and I cant even sit in a chair for long amounts of time. So I am stuck with putting my money and equipment in other peoples hands. I used to have a buddy who recently moved who was an excellent installer but he lives in cali now and I am here in ohio. The place I had most of this done just totally screwed it all up. But I think I found a good place now to have my stuff done at. So what do you think I need to get my system to sound good. This is the stuff I am looking to get new.

New headunit.
    New Highs amp for the alpine 5.25 x componet set
    New 3- way crossover

Debating on getting another battery as my lights dim pretty bad. Isnt that just more strain on the altenator though?

The big part of my system is the box. I have the alpine type r's off a decent amp. They just dont sound right. I have my box in a crappy prefab box that is 1.75cft.
    I am thinking of getting a custom made ported box. But here is the thing. I listen to alot of rock and alternative and sometimes rap. So should I still port or just get a custom made sealed box? I want this to get loud but sound good doing it.

Sorry about the long post just gonna be spending a little more cash than I wanted to but I am in my car so much so I want your guys best opionions. Peace!

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Redoing system in my car. For most part.

bump

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Beat_Dominator is offline Yea, thats Mecha Godzilla

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You only need to port if you need more output. A sealed box of the correct volume could sound quite nice as well.

As for the install, I'd just voice your feelings to the installer so that they know you'll be looking for a quality job. That way they'll be less inclined to cut corners.

Why do you want/need new highs for the comp. set? I'd try in your case to not do it all at once because you might end up wasting $ on things that won't impact the system as a whole like you would want.

Comming Spring 2009

I make rear-loaded, double crabshell, isobaric enclosures.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

True its just my highs sound like *** and well I have a really good set up front. I have the alpine spx-177 5.25 componet set. I got them for under 200 bucks so I was sold. But they distort really bad for some reason. The amp that is on all of them is a clarion 4 channel amp that does 400 total watts. Not sure of rms? I mean my highs up front are no where near as loud as the ones in the back. The installer told me that because it is a 4 chan. amp the the back channel is always louder. Why would he tell me that? Sounds like bs to me. Now my back highs sound good but cut off at high volume and my amp is turned way down on the back speakers. I think they are jerking me around. Thanks for the help man.

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Um, that sounds like bs for sure. Unless it's the lamest 4ch. amp of all time. I wouldn't think they would distort unless the amp or HU is clipping and distorting the signal. The mids up front can distort if you do not highpass them at say 70-100 hz because those 5.25's will still try to produce subsonic frequencies even though the subs in the back should have that handled.

Comming Spring 2009

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well my gains on my 4 channel are the fronts are turned all the way up other wise you can barley hear them. The ones in the back are about 1/3 the way up and on my crossover is about 3/4 the way up. I hate tuning **** I cant get the bass to match my highs or get my highs to match the bass. Do you think it will be a good idea to get an audiocontrol of some sort? I have never used those but I want my system to be clean. All this distortion is bs.

How do you clip your head unit? I usually turn it up to about 40/52.

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the general rule of thumb is to turn the HU to 70% of max to set the gains. In your case that's like 37/50. Then you play a song or test tone and turn up the gains on the amp until you hear distortion. Now, some people have a hard time hearing this distortion, and this is why the gain setting tutorial uses a DMM to set the gains.

If you can turn the gains all the way up and turn the HU almost all the way up and it doesn't hurt your ears you're either going deaf or you don't have enough power.

Comming Spring 2009

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lol! I am kinda def in one ear. But hey thanks for the help. I am gonna hit up the audio shop tomorrow and see what they have for sale. I am thinking alot of my problem is the crossover. Peace!

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh was thinking of turning my subwoofers around to face into the car. Will I lose alot of volume with this? I have had walls in my car and it sounded nice and in fact the one I couldnt even sit in long. I would get it sealed off so no bass gets to the back. I hava a 2002 cavalier with the flip up seat. I am not really gonna run comps just want it to be loud and clean. Also is this smart to do with a ported box or no?

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bump

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Decado is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Usually it get's louder with the subs facing the rear, but you might as well try em facing the front to see if it sounds any better. And for your speakers up front, do you have your doors sealed and deadened with some foam egg carton pad behind the speaker? It will increase the clarity/loudness and you'll also get a nice boost in the midbass, and also, I know when I sealed/deadened/foam egg carton my doors I was able to boost the gains somewhat also.

The Rest Of My System:
    -Orion HCCA-D2400 Amp
    -RE SX 15" Subwoofer
    -MTX Thunder 564 4-way amp
    -OlogyAudio Dayton RS Component Set
    -Sirius Satellite Radio

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No they are not at all. But I am looking to get the whole car done in hushmat. I can get it pretty cheap. The thing that gets me though is my amp is turned all the way up for the front stage and distorts really bad. But I turn it down to 3/4 or and half way down and I can barley hear them.

As far as the subs go I want to turn them around but I am afraid of losing alot of volume. But I am hoping if I do turn them around that they will hit and sound cleaner. We will see. Anybody else have any suggestions on this?

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bump-

Just want some more opinions if I should switch the subs firing inside the car. Gonna be ported box and sealed if so no bass gets in the trunk. Thanx

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nobody?

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Closed Thread