Closed Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Reload Thread: Measuring amplifier wattage?

  1. #1
    Slaugh's Avatar
    Slaugh is offline CarAudio.com Moron



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Measuring amplifier wattage?

    hi i was thinking about connecting a 4ohms resistance to the bridge output of my amplifier... doing so can i just use a DMM to measure it's voltage and find the wattage my amp can produce?

    what are the formulas again to calculate wattage?

    and just something else i want to do, is to set the **** gains of my system correctly using the DMM, how can i do it the best way? i know the preouts of my hu is rated at 10k ohms, where the hell can i find such resistance? or is that just not the way it works lol?

    waiting for the answer heh







  2. #2
    Slaugh's Avatar
    Slaugh is offline CarAudio.com Moron

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?

    hmm i dont know if i needed any resistance to measure preouts output but i just removed em off the amplifier and put the DMM to measure it's ~voltage with a sine wave of 60hz and on volume max, bass +5, MX on, subout max i got 3.7volts on the preouts, so is that how alpine measures it's preouts? to work at full volume, bass +5, subw out max and MX on?




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    TriState Area
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?

    google is your best friend


    (ACV/OHMload)^2 = wattage

    to set your gains use SQRT(RMSwattage*OHMload)




    myspace

    1993 Volvo 960 Luxury Sedan

    Refs: Sake Pho Sho, Silentheaven389, macmood, iamslain, lemans23, desertheat (3), monte_carlo97 (7).

  4. #4
    Slaugh's Avatar
    Slaugh is offline CarAudio.com Moron

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?

    Quote Originally Posted by AznRevlAzn
    google is your best friend


    (ACV/OHMload)^2 = wattage

    to set your gains use SQRT(RMSwattage*OHMload)
    thanks but i dont get it, why did you edit the first formula, it was at first ACV^2/Ohmload and it was working, but now it seems to give me straneg results, why did you edit it?

    and what is SQRT? no idea what this is at all lol




  5. #5
    XtrmAudioCncpts's Avatar
    XtrmAudioCncpts is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, Va
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?






    Quote Originally Posted by Devillain00
    XAC = pimpin since been pimpin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    TriState Area
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaugh
    thanks but i dont get it, why did you edit the first formula, it was at first ACV^2/Ohmload and it was working, but now it seems to give me straneg results, why did you edit it?

    and what is SQRT? no idea what this is at all lol
    i had it wrong the first time, i am dosing off and falling asleep at my UC computer lab, it's so bad.... never get a night job my friend, ever...

    also if you were to go by the previous one i typed in, if you had a load of 2ohm or 4 ohm you'd clip the amp and most likey kill the sub in seconds.




    myspace

    1993 Volvo 960 Luxury Sedan

    Refs: Sake Pho Sho, Silentheaven389, macmood, iamslain, lemans23, desertheat (3), monte_carlo97 (7).

  7. #7
    skadude016's Avatar
    skadude016 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    7,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    13
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?

    square root



    HU:Kenwood Excelon KDC-889
    Speakers: CDT 61A's with rainbow x-overs
    Front amp: Autotek MM100.4
    Sub amp: (2) Audiopipe 1500's
    Subwoofers: (4) 15" Crunch GPV
    Box: 16 cubes tuned to 28hz (removable port)
    Extra Batt: C&D 139AH
    151.xx sealed up 154.xx in the kick

  8. #8
    Chevyaudio's Avatar
    Chevyaudio is offline :poof:



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Back in the Dirty BR, Louisiana
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaugh
    hi i was thinking about connecting a 4ohms resistance to the bridge output of my amplifier... doing so can i just use a DMM to measure it's voltage and find the wattage my amp can produce?

    what are the formulas again to calculate wattage?

    and just something else i want to do, is to set the **** gains of my system correctly using the DMM, how can i do it the best way? i know the preouts of my hu is rated at 10k ohms, where the hell can i find such resistance? or is that just not the way it works lol?

    waiting for the answer heh
    I believe to measure the Output in wattage you have to have a Clamp Meter style DMM. that way your can measure the current draw.




  9. #9
    Slaugh's Avatar
    Slaugh is offline CarAudio.com Moron

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?

    Quote Originally Posted by AznRevlAzn
    i had it wrong the first time, i am dosing off and falling asleep at my UC computer lab, it's so bad.... never get a night job my friend, ever...

    also if you were to go by the previous one i typed in, if you had a load of 2ohm or 4 ohm you'd clip the amp and most likey kill the sub in seconds.
    but i used this site to compare the results: http://www.riedon.com/riedon_calculator.htm

    and it seemed to be working perfectly using the first rule, but the second one doesnt work



    48.98²/4=600

    how so then?




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    TriState Area
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyaudio
    I believe to measure the Output in wattage you have to have a Clamp Meter style DMM. that way your can measure the current draw.
    or he can have a needle style and just insert them into the speaker outs




    myspace

    1993 Volvo 960 Luxury Sedan

    Refs: Sake Pho Sho, Silentheaven389, macmood, iamslain, lemans23, desertheat (3), monte_carlo97 (7).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    TriState Area
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?

    oh wow, so i was right before i edited the first formula lol.




    myspace

    1993 Volvo 960 Luxury Sedan

    Refs: Sake Pho Sho, Silentheaven389, macmood, iamslain, lemans23, desertheat (3), monte_carlo97 (7).

  12. #12
    Slaugh's Avatar
    Slaugh is offline CarAudio.com Moron

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?

    so i put the DMM into the bridge of my amp, that's where my subwoofer is and started watching the voltages rise...

    playing a 15hz sinewave, the best i could go safetly because of the **** 50A max power supply was this



    i think i've never seen my sub excursing so **** much... how can i do this without a subwoofer? i thought the **** thing was gonna die or something... can i just buy a 4ohm resistance or something lol?

    thanks




  13. #13
    Slaugh's Avatar
    Slaugh is offline CarAudio.com Moron

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Measuring amplifier wattage?

    hmmm any help lol




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. read this..... correct?
    By pablo4429 in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 03:26 PM
  2. Amplifier Wattage
    By Hawaiian in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 03:25 AM
  3. couplequestions
    By goodstuff in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 06:12 PM
  4. sub wattage vs. amp wattage
    By cockeyed00 in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-01-2003, 06:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum