Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Price Quote

Spaceboy464 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Price Quote

In the past I have usually installed all my stuff my self but it just never turns out right. So now im starting over and going to a good shop. The place is Traffic Jams in Sherman Oaks, Ca. Supposedly they do good work and from what I have seen when I go in there they know there stuff. So any way here is what they recommended:
    Diamond Audio (s600s) 6 1/2" Hex $600 (x2)
    DA (D612D4) 12" Subs $400 (x2)
    DA (D61000.1) Mono Amp $700
    DA (D6600.4) 4Ch Amp $700
    Audio Control EQS $380

Material - 350-400
    Labor (They are doing a free air baffle) $1500

This is all going in a 2004 Audi A4 and they are doing a free air baffle with the rear tweeters in the deck. Also they are putting the amps in the spare tire well with some plexi and all that.

Does all this seem pretty reasonable? I know they have to make money but I just don't want to get ripped off (it has happened before and that is the reason I got into car audio).

2004.5 Audi A4 3.0q (For Sale)
    2003.5 BMW M3 (Current)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Price Quote

Go and buy all the equipment they recommended online, then take it back to them and have them do the labor. Purchase some good wire kits, RCAs, and speaker leads off of them though...

GL

Gallery updated 4/24/2005 - More to come
    Audiobahn = teh sux

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spr0ket
    Go and buy all the equipment they recommended online, then take it back to them and have them do the labor. Purchase some good wire kits, RCAs, and speaker leads off of them though...

GL
    I was thinking of that but I would feel bad. I don't want them to get pissed and like do a crappy job on the install.

2003.5 BMW M3 (Current)

Randy Savage is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboy464
    In the past I have usually installed all my stuff my self but it just never turns out right. So now im starting over and going to a good shop. The place is Traffic Jams in Sherman Oaks, Ca. Supposedly they do good work and from what I have seen when I go in there they know there stuff. So any way here is what they recommended:
    Audio Control EQS $380

Material - 350-400

This is all going in a 2004 Audi A4 and they are doing a free air baffle with the rear tweeters in the deck. Also they are putting the amps in the spare tire well with some plexi and all that.

Does all this seem pretty reasonable? I know they have to make money but I just don't want to get ripped off (it has happened before and that is the reason I got into car audio).

Well, do you trust them to properly install everything the way you want?

People will tell you to buy online...but when you buy online, and have a shop do the install....if something goes wrong, you are out of a product. Most shops will warranty their work, but if you bought product elsewhere it's your responsibility to repair/replace something.

I'd check online prices just to make sure they really aren't ripping you off (although you have to realize they are authorized dealers for a product and they generally have to adhere to MAP pricing).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snova031
    Well, do you trust them to properly install everything the way you want?

People will tell you to buy online...but when you buy online, and have a shop do the install....if something goes wrong, you are out of a product. Most shops will warranty their work, but if you bought product elsewhere it's your responsibility to repair/replace something.

I'd check online prices just to make sure they really aren't ripping you off (although you have to realize they are authorized dealers for a product and they generally have to adhere to MAP pricing).
    I do trust them. They even told me I could come watch them install it. The owner knows as much as the installers and I really admire that. I checked online and they would be making prob $1000 off me but they seem to be using retail pricing.

2003.5 BMW M3 (Current)

Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I still don't know how that's legal to artificically inflate the prices so that places cannot sell them below a certain price...I mean at work we sell stuff a nickle on the dollar because the shelf space is more valuable than the product. Sometimes we throw away perfectly good merchandise because of shelf space. (it is against the rules of the manufacturer to donate to charity as means of giving away the product) Why can't a business have a sale to undercut other places selling the same product. Wal-mart does it, Lowe's does it, Home Depot does it... why can't local? Make no sense to me.

Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing

I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do trust them. They even told me I could come watch them install it. The owner knows as much as the installers and I really admire that. I checked online and they would be making prob $1000 off me but they seem to be using retail pricing.
    Now there's a good shop. You may be able to haggle the pricing a bit. Go to some other shops in the area and show them the quote, see what they can offer you. Ultimately, go back to the shop you intended but with a little extra bit of "why so much" attitude. Also, install cost is a service which cannot be taxed iirc. You may be able to haggle the price of the equipment and ignore the price of the install work.

Gallery updated 4/24/2005 - More to come
    Audiobahn = teh sux

Ignatowski is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Audio Control EQS $380

Material - 350-400

that about what my local diamond retailer wants for thise items
    and thats full retail msrp and double what I paid for my diamond system

Randy Savage is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipx99
    I still don't know how that's legal to artificically inflate the prices so that places cannot sell them below a certain price...I mean at work we sell stuff a nickle on the dollar because the shelf space is more valuable than the product. Sometimes we throw away perfectly good merchandise because of shelf space. (it is against the rules of the manufacturer to donate to charity as means of giving away the product) Why can't a business have a sale to undercut other places selling the same product. Wal-mart does it, Lowe's does it, Home Depot does it... why can't local? Make no sense to me.
    Well MAP is minimum advertised pricing...they can only advertise at a certain price. They can realistically charge you whatever they want for the product.

I'd imagine if he talked to them in a good manner he can probably get a little knocked off.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks every one. They know I want to get this done. I will shop around and go back like I can get it for XXX but I really want you guys to do it so can you help me out. I know they make more on labor so I would rather get the equipment for less (like someone just mentioned).

2003.5 BMW M3 (Current)

Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snova031
    Well MAP is minimum advertised pricing...they can only advertise at a certain price. They can realistically charge you whatever they want for the product.

I'd imagine if he talked to them in a good manner he can probably get a little knocked off.

well that sounds fair... I assume that is why amazon does this "add to cart to see lower price" deal..thanks for clearing it up

Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing

I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.

OlogyAudio is offline Audio-Ologist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Audio Control EQS $380

Material - 350-400

All of that costs way too much -- but thats what happens if you want retail... Can't install things yourself? -- see if they will install stuff you don't buy from them?

What about the head unit... ?

Dylan Matlow -- Ology Audio

-------------------------------------------------

Believe it or not That is a 6.5"

bimma85 is offline Can't be ****** ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OlogyAudio
    All of that costs way too much -- but thats what happens if you want retail... Can't install things yourself? -- see if they will install stuff you don't buy from them?

This winter everything was put away so I'd have to take it all out, gather it and then start building(all in zero degree weather). Instead I took my XXX to a shop. Long story short I never used my XXX (that I ordered direct) before I brought it there. I should have never had them put the sub in, and just had em make up a box. Anyway, I ended up paying nearly $600 for my XXX. (just got my avalanche friday though )
    I would prolly buy from the shop, if they hooked it up. I'd try to get it all open box, but thats just me. Have em hook it up at near cost for open box with. And also a decent discount for whatever you cant get open boxed or if they'll throw in a free 3/5 year warranty for it all(except the open boxes.. you'll have to pay a warranty for em, but not full price) Get in good with a salesman and you're good to go.
    Much higher mark up on the subs and speaker, than say an amp or HU
    oh and FYI... Excelerater and ology both bought diamond d5600.2s for $185 shipped with a factory warranty until the end of may I believe

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OlogyAudio

Ya I knew Id take a hit on the price. I could probably install the stuff but since its a free air I need a good quality rear deck made. Also I don't have the time (and some of the skills) since I use my car every day. For now I'm going to keep the stock bose headunit (hence the equalizer) but I don't know I might change that soon.

P.S. You PMed me about something recently right? I've been busy but i'll get back to you.

2003.5 BMW M3 (Current)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimma85
    This winter everything was put away so I'd have to take it all out, gather it and then start building(all in zero degree weather). Instead I took my XXX to a shop. Long story short I never used my XXX (that I ordered direct) before I brought it there. I should have never had them put the sub in, and just had em make up a box. Anyway, I ended up paying nearly $600 for my XXX. (just got my avalanche friday though )
    I would prolly buy from the shop, if they hooked it up. I'd try to get it all open box, but thats just me. Have em hook it up at near cost for open box with. And also a decent discount for whatever you cant get open boxed or if they'll throw in a free 3/5 year warranty for it all(except the open boxes.. you'll have to pay a warranty for em, but not full price) Get in good with a salesman and you're good to go.
    Much higher mark up on the subs and speaker, than say an amp or HU
    oh and FYI... Excelerater and ology both bought diamond d5600.2s for $185 shipped with a factory warranty until the end of may I believe
    What's open box? How did Ology and Excelerater get those prices?

2003.5 BMW M3 (Current)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast