Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New Head Unit In BMW 740i...Suggestions?

segal3 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New Head Unit In BMW 740i...Suggestions?

Alright, I just got my subs (check out the pics in the gallery section, the 2 12" MTXs, or here http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=235020 ), and I was looking to upgrade the stock head unit in my '94 740i BMW. Right now I've been looking either at a Kenwood head unit, or a Pioneer (which a lot of friends highly suggest). Looking to spend a max of 300-400 for it.

Any suggestions?

Also, with a new head unit, would I still be able to interface with the 6cd stock BMW cd changer in the trunk? Or would it be better off to buy a cd changer by the same company as the head unit. OR would it be even better to just spend a little extra and get a head unit with mp3 capability, such that I could hold the equivalent of those cds on one, and take out the changer in the back so that I can push the subs deeper into the trunk? (Lots of options here, trying to figure out which you all believe is the best choice). Let me know. Thanks

~Matt Segal

Current System
    2x MTX 12" Thunder6000 Subs
    1x Kenwood KAC-829 2ch 600w Peak Amp

bean is offline DIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

deck

You won't be able to make your BMW changer work with any after market head unit. No big deal though cause you can get an MP3 capable head unit for the money you want to spend. My recommendation would be an Alpine CDA 7893. You'll be able to pick it up for about $330.

segal3 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Would it be at all possible/feasible to remount the BMW headunit (somewhere by the side seat, or in the glove box), and use the stock headunit pre-outs running into an aux. input on the new headunit? As such, I would still have CD changer control? Or would it be less worrisome, easier, and cheaper to just spend the money for the mp3 headunit.

~Matt Segal

Current System
    2x MTX 12" Thunder6000 Subs
    1x Kenwood KAC-829 2ch 600w Peak Amp

bean is offline DIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes

Originally posted by segal3
    Or would it be less worrisome, easier, and cheaper to just spend the money for the mp3 headunit.

~Matt Segal
    Yes, much easier and probably a lot cheaper. Also keep in mind **** near any CD player over$300 bucks is going to control a changer (same manufacturer) and you can always add it later.

Closed Thread