Closed Thread

Reload Thread: ** Requesting Help on New System **

setshot50 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 ** 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab System Suggestions/Help?!?! **

Greetings all. I am looking to put a system in my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. I am looking more for SQ but would also like some serious SPL if I choose (I listen mostly to either Alternative or Old School Hip Hop). Budget is not the most important thing to me, I want quality over cost. I am, however, not looking to alter the truck in any way (i.e. cutting new holes, removing my back seat). I will be replacing my stock head unit, of course, but here is what I am presently considering:

Infinity Kappa 32.5CF (3.5" - dash - powered by head unit)
    Infinity Kappa 693.5I (6x9 - front door)
    Infinity Kappa 63.5I (6.5" - back door - powered, with 693.5I, by Eclipse 36401)
    Eclipse 88100TiDVC (10" - under back seat - powered by Eclipse DA7232)

Some have told me this is an excellent setup and others have told me they would question my choices. Any and all suggestions/information concerning my speaker and amplifier choices and other possible setups for my vehicle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance, for your help. Have a great week!
    Last edited by setshot50; 08-26-2002 at 10:56 AM.

blackgeltabs is offline Knowledge is Power

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    its going to sound pretty darn nice, but your not goining to get "serious" spl out of it. If you could get 2 10's or even a 12 ported you wouldget much better spl and still retain most of your sound quality.

Mark_ab is offline The Alpha Male

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, it will be a nice sounding setup. I do suggest amping all of them, instead of merely the 6X9's and the 6.5's. If you're interested if I have last years model of the 3.5's and 6X9's kappa series collecting dust in my room. Could save you some cash.

Is this not a reasonable place to park?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In reference to Mark_ab's signature, I am by no means a car audio expert so I offer my apologies for some seemingly "dumb" questions. I have been messing around with it for a few years but have only had the means to do what I want recently.

How would a ported box make a difference? What are the advantages/disadvantages versus a sealed enclosure?

If I choose to amp all my highs would I need a 5-channel amp? If so, any suggestions?

bean is offline DIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

suggestion

Don't waste your money on the 3.5 speakers. Use it to buy a good set of 6.5" componants instead of the 6X9's. More isn't always better, and if you amped those 6X9's you probably won't even hear the 3.5's. For the type of music you listen to, I recommend ported.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by setshot50
    How would a ported box make a difference? What are the advantages/disadvantages versus a sealed enclosure?
    It will have more output with less power and it will have more output with more power

ok a Sealed box will hit more freq's and tends to be more snapier and is generally what you want if you looking for the most SQ out of your woofers. Selaed boxes require more power than ported to produce the same amount of bass for the simple fact that sealed dosent move as much air. BUT a well built ported box tuned right will also sound great and have more output. Id go ported.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In reference to Mark_ab's signature, I am by no means a car audio expert so I offer my apologies for some seemingly "dumb" questions. I have been messing around with it for a few years but have only had the means to do what I want recently.

If I choose to amp all my highs would I need a 5-channel amp? If so, any suggestions?
    They are hardly dumb questions. A sealed box offers a flatter response through the frequency band below the F3 point. They provide unmatched transient response and good power handling. A properly tuned vented box offers a superior low end and less distortion above it's tuned frequency. Most 5 channel amplifiers offer a 4 channel amplifier plus an additional sub channel, so it's no help there. I can't think of many amplifiers that aren't two ohm stable, so you could wire your drivers in parallel. The Infinity 3.5's are the best that I've heard, but keep in mind, they are 3.5's. The frequency response of the 6X9's is not what is stated. There's no way they can get down to 35hz like they claim (35hz-21,000hz).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mark_ab - If you do not mind sparing a little time, I would like to ask you more questions via e-mail as it is much more efficient for me. Please send me a private message with your e-mail address or I will reply with mine. Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mark_ab - If you do not mind sparing a little time, I would like to ask you more questions via e-mail as it is much more efficient for me. Please send me a private message with your e-mail address or I will reply with mine. Many thanks.
    My mailbox isn't working out too great
    m_harrison82@hotmail.com is my email. I'm also on ICQ, MSN and Yahoo if interested.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    blackgeltabs - Same goes for you, I would like to discuss my options further via e-mail if you would not mind. My e-mail is setshot50@yahoo.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    no problem email any questions you have. also my aim handle is MagsRgod I will be on anytime after 630 eastern time.

my email is blackgeltabs@caraudio.com OR MagsRgod@aol.com

Alaxan is offline Common Sense Guru

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First thing... the set up you are looking at is an dor could be a very nice set up, but are you looking for something you could compete with if you wanted to? I do suggest just off the bat tho like Mark did to amp all of your speakers. The 3.5's may very well be NOT worth your time unless you have them strategically mounted and a separate gain control for the two of them because they will more than likely need a higher volume level feeding to them to even be able to hear them noticeabley. As for the sub enclosure. Go with sealed regardless of what speakers or whatever you are looking at for a sub. Why? Because the amount of space you are going to have in the truck without removing the rear seat will not be best suited for a ported enclosure. (Ported boxes require more air space over sealed) Yes you may lose a 3db gain potential over a very small and limited frequency range that the ported could or would be tuned to, but typically with the sealed box it is not that much of a loss.

-Alax
    CEO Alchemy Computer Systems

Questions or comments?
    Yahoo: Static_Lullaby_77
    AOL: StaticLulaby1977
    MSN: Alaxinlord@hotmail.com

Closed Thread