Closed Thread

Reload Thread: need some help from people who been into this hobby(money pit) longer than me

ecksman is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

need some help from people who been into this hobby(money pit) longer than me

need some help from people who been into this hobby(money pit) longer than me,i went out and bought 2 12 l7(friend had them and thought they sounded pretty good), hifonics brutus 1605d, cap and a ported box. didnt know too much about this stuff at the time and later found out that the l7's are 4 ohms and hifonics amps dont put out their claimed rms(thank you caraudio.com). if i could do it all over again iwould consider different speakers and get a stronger amp.

my first question is if my subs are wired at 2 ohms does that mean i'm getting 2ohm power from my amp?

second the recommended max rms for the l7's combined is 1500 do u think my is the best amp for that, if not what would u suggest?

dustinr is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: need some help from people who been into this hobby(money pit) longer than me

Quote Originally Posted by ecksman
    my first question is if my subs are wired at 2 ohms does that mean i'm getting 2ohm power from my amp?
    Yes. that is correct.. Although I believe 2 DVC 4 ohm speakers can only be wired to 4ohm and 1ohm

Quote Originally Posted by ecksman
    second the recommended max rms for the l7's combined is 1500 do u think my is the best amp for that, if not what would u suggest?
    Your amp should be fine to push the L7's.. although if you are not happy with your amp.. Look into a Kicker KX1200.1

LBX2G is offline R.I.P Camofluage

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: need some help from people who been into this hobby(money pit) longer than me

yup u could also build a box that will make the subs more efficent. Oh and about the hifonics power output. I do not if that is all true. I think they do there power at 14.4v which is very hard to achive with an stock electrical system. Well that is what the rep form hifonics said when he came here.

FREE Terrelll"peanut" Grayer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ecksman is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i just want to out the recommended 1500 rms to the subs do u think that is possible with my amp, if not what do u recommend

THUNDERBIRD is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wire the 2 to 1 ohm and u should be fine

94' thunderbird *parked*<
    4.6 V8 with a shift kit
    clarion dxz 645mp clarion sirius tuner
    ED 6000v.2- front jbl 5.25 comps- rear
    dynamated and edeaded trunk lid, rear deck, front doors
    Big 3 in green of course
    viper 791xv w/ battery backup
    3 jl 10w0
    2000 ford ranger supercab 3.0v6 4x4
    stock hu
    alpine mrp-m350
    2 9kv.3's
    clifford matrix rsx 50.5x
    spring time getting clarion MAX675VDII and front components possibly jbl's again

bikejunkie223 is offline Dls Wh0re

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBX2G
    yup u could also build a box that will make the subs more efficent. Oh and about the hifonics power output. I do not if that is all true. I think they do there power at 14.4v which is very hard to achive with an stock electrical system. Well that is what the rep form hifonics said when he came here.
    Just my $0.02, 14.4 volts is not that hard to achieve, it just depends on the cars voltage regulator, and 14.4volts is the operating standard, though I can tell you for a fact virtually ALL Hondas run at 13.8 volts. Dont worry about max power it basically means nothing, you want RMS power. If 2 4ohm voice coils are wired in parallel, you get a 2ohm load, if 2 dual 4ohm voice coil subs are wired in parallel, you get 1ohm, or you can do series parallel (speakers in parallel, voice coils in series) and get 2 ohms I think, but that would be a silly way to do it. I'm not sure about that last combo.......

Shop smart...Shop S-Mart... YOU GOT THAT!!!!!!!!

salsa shark....

Current Setup:
    Vehicle: 2004 Honda Civic Si
    Head: DEH 860MP
    Mid/High: Dls UP-6
    Subs: Dls Iridium 10
    Amp: Xtant 403a
    Other:Valentine 1 radar detector with remote display, Pioneer ipod controller, XM sat radio, Rear fill was determined to be a part of a communist plot to destroy our way of life and was henceforth banished from my car

bikejunkie223 is offline Dls Wh0re

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERBIRD
    wire the 2 to 1 ohm and u should be fine
    If the amp can handle a 1ohm load without slagging itself. I am not familiar with this amp too much. The downside to 2ohm loads and 1 ohm loads is the amps ability to tightly control the speaker (damping factor)is greatly decreased. If you just want loud this doesn't matter too much, but for sq it's kinda a big deal.

Shop smart...Shop S-Mart... YOU GOT THAT!!!!!!!!

salsa shark....

Current Setup:
    Vehicle: 2004 Honda Civic Si
    Head: DEH 860MP
    Mid/High: Dls UP-6
    Subs: Dls Iridium 10
    Amp: Xtant 403a
    Other:Valentine 1 radar detector with remote display, Pioneer ipod controller, XM sat radio, Rear fill was determined to be a part of a communist plot to destroy our way of life and was henceforth banished from my car

AndonD454 is offline The Wistles Go WOOOOOO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bikejunkie223
    If 2 4ohm voice coils are wired in parallel, you get a 2ohm load, if 2 dual 4ohm voice coil subs are wired in parallel, you get 1ohm, or you can do series parallel (speakers in parallel, voice coils in series) and get 2 ohms I think, but that would be a silly way to do it. I'm not sure about that last combo.......

one of the most confusing things ive read haha.

basically heres how it works. when you wire a DVC sub in parallel you cut the impeadence in half. and when you wire in series you double it. SO, in order to achieve a one ohm load with two DVC 4 ohm subs, wire each sub in parallel(negatives together, positives together) . then wire both subs together.

and for future reference, to achieve a final load of 4 ohms, run each sub in a series, then wire together.

if you need 2 ohm configs or need more about this go to www.crutchfieldadvisor.com and click subwoofers and then wiring configurations

Closed Thread