Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Anyone here in a band? (there is a reason for this question...please read if u are)

bumpinthanite is offline i like cars. a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone here in a band? (there is a reason for this question...please read if u are)

Ok, this question is a lil from the norm, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I'm in a band, and we want to add subs for a better low end in our PA rig. My question is would we be able to use car audio subs and enclosures in this set up? We are powering things w/ a 600wRMS amp now, so there's plenty of power there. How would we power the subs if possible? also, would it be safe to run them? I know this is a really weird question, and only a handful of people may be able to answer it. It's just that car audio is less expensive than stage audio. I'll check back incase u have anything to ask me about anything w/ this. Sorry if it's way too weird, but any help would be cool. thanx, i hope

Plater is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am pretty sure that you can do it and it would work fine

BUT there a few things that need to be addressed

first car audio subs are design to reproduce low frequencies so they need a crossover so they don't sound bad. Where as the avg. guitar amp speaker is a woofer or full range design.

Next is the impedance of the speakers the avg. car audio sub is 4ohms and the guitar is usally 8ohms. Most guitar amps (PA) are made to run 8ohms or maybe a two 8ohm speakers in parallel therefore 4 ohms. So if you plan on just adding the sub to the other speakers loading the amp could be a problem. You could get two 4ohm car subs and put them in series to get 8ohms and run it off amp.

Also car subs are usally designed to operate in small spaces such as in a car not so much as a big room or outside stage.

Over all if the cost of car subs is alot cheaper the idea of going to them maybe worth it.
    I can't give any guarante that the car subs will perform like the studio speakers because i have never tried it. But over all with a little time i am sure that it can be made to work. The idea behind speakers be it car, home or pro is still the same. A magnetic coil (transducer) inside a magnetic field.

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

Re: Anyone here in a band? (there is a reason for this question...please read if u are)

Originally posted by bumpinthanite
    Ok, this question is a lil from the norm, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I'm in a band, and we want to add subs for a better low end in our PA rig. My question is would we be able to use car audio subs and enclosures in this set up? We are powering things w/ a 600wRMS amp now, so there's plenty of power there. How would we power the subs if possible? also, would it be safe to run them? I know this is a really weird question, and only a handful of people may be able to answer it. It's just that car audio is less expensive than stage audio. I'll check back incase u have anything to ask me about anything w/ this. Sorry if it's way too weird, but any help would be cool. thanx, i hope
    Have you checked out http://www.partsexpress.com . They have a wide selection of pro sound. And a forum that could probably help a little better

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I played my bass through a pair of 15's and it was pretty loud...if I wouldve turned it up anymore they wouldve blown though..now have a real head and cab now (Hartke 8x10 w/ Hartke 6000 series head)

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

bumpinthanite is offline i like cars. a lot.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks guys....really. And, by the way, ss3079 (or whatever the numbers are lol)...nice *** bass rig now. hartke is the ****

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by bumpinthanite
    thanks guys....really. And, by the way, ss3079 (or whatever the numbers are lol)...nice *** bass rig now. hartke is the ****
    Thanks man, it pounds

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Closed Thread

User Tag List