Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wiring 2 midbass off 1 crossover

I have a set of ID CSX54's in kicks right now. I'm going to be adding a pair of CX54's in the doors. A SX500.2 powers them right now. My question is this: Can I wire the 2 CX54's off the same crossover or will this damage the crossover? I was planning on wiring the 2 CX54's in to the mid-bass output of each crossover either in parallel or series depending on the load I read on the MM. Thanx ahead of time for the help. I'm obvioulsy a newb at car audio, so if this is common practice I apologize for a dumb question.

I also apologize as I now realize I didn't put this in the Wiring thread. I thought I was in there. Sorry.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Wiring 2 midbass off 1 crossover

Well, normally I'd say don't do it.

With a passive crossover network, the crossover frequency is dependent upon the impedance load connected to it. So, if you have a crossover designed for a 4ohm load on the mid output, putting either a 2ohm or 8ohm load will change the crossover point and other bad stuff.....so it's usually not a good idea.

But, ID makes 2ohm mids, which means they likewise have to make crossover that is compatable with a 2ohm load. Whether they designed a single crossover to handle both loads, or use two different crossovers (one for 4ohm mids, one for the 2ohm mids) I am not sure. That's something you would want to check with ID. If they do it with a single crossover, it shouldn't pose much of a problem for you to do what you want (as long as you wire the mids in parallel). If they use separate crossovers, then it's just a matter of you purchasing the crossover designed for use with a 2ohm load.

Okay....and after looking over ID's website, it looks like they use separate crossovers; one called the "X2" for use with 2ohm mids, one called the "X4" for use with the 4ohm mids. So, it should be as simple as you purchasing the "X2" crossover and wiring your two 4ohm mids in parallel for a final 2ohm load.

It might still not be a bad idea to check with ID (or one the ID forums) before you do it......but I see no reason why it wouldn't work (other than maybe ramifications of poorly setting up the dual mid setup).

Where are you locating the 2nd mid on each side? And why are you going with a 2nd mid rather than just like upgrading to a 6.5 set?

ieatdrt is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Wiring 2 midbass off 1 crossover

I actually blew my cx54's that are in the kicks and double ordered a set of cx54's to replace them. So I now have 4 cx54's and figured I'd use the additional set in the doors. I could just sell and/or return them too. I have the X4's and what I'll do is get another set of crossovers and wire those to the SX500.2 showing a 2ohm load to the amp, rather than take any chances of screwing up. Thanx for the assistance squeak, I'll check with ID for suggestions also. You guys are always great.

Closed Thread