Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Reload Thread: Box size

  1. #1
    SSS 18734's Avatar
    SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Box size

    What difference would it make if you had say a 2 cu. ft. box tuned to 35 hz, and if you had a 8 cu.ft. box tuned to the same frequency.

    Ive noticed some of you on here have like a 8 cube box just for one sub. Does all that extra room make a difference?

    I'm tryin to come up with plans for my 2000SPL's. A 1.00 cube sealed box isnt working out too well.



    Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)




  2. #2
    amedeuce's Avatar
    amedeuce is offline :crap:



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    Quote Originally Posted by SSS 18734
    What difference would it make if you had say a 2 cu. ft. box tuned to 35 hz, and if you had a 8 cu.ft. box tuned to the same frequency.

    Ive noticed some of you on here have like a 8 cube box just for one sub. Does all that extra room make a difference?

    I'm tryin to come up with plans for my 2000SPL's. A 1.00 cube sealed box isnt working out too well.
    all that depends on sub and power given to that sub.



    References

    Sold to jamesdean,jonny101abc,LowLinc,bumpinaintEZ,TurboDu devr4,SVT RELAMPAGO,mk_ ,Burnout956,bonesninja,yenwen,bhsdriller,dalucifer ,BoondockSaints,WillyG4444, alfmoney,btnhfan,dB Dom

    Bought From TeamPSI,ace_800, Zxcvtypo,bjfish11,atoz350,timbre-audio,Derrick824, lastcall,eclipsefool,rtillaree,PioneerPimp,6spdcou pe,ctmike,Thieroff


    Quote Originally Posted by bumpin buick View Post
    /yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by elmor001 View Post
    I don't think I'm the dumb one here. You just told someone to go divide themself.

    H/U Alpine 9887
    Mids Seas ER18RNX
    Tweets LPG 25NFA
    Subs 2 10" Memphis Audio Shallow Mount Subs
    Mids/Tweets Amp Kicker ZX850.4
    Sub Amp Kicker ZX1000.1

  3. #3
    SSS 18734's Avatar
    SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    How about a 2000SPL powered with 500 watts?



    Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

  4. #4
    amedeuce's Avatar
    amedeuce is offline :crap:



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    Quote Originally Posted by SSS 18734
    How about a 2000SPL powered with 500 watts?
    Is there a manufacturer recommended size for sealed and ported? How about the subs power handling.
    Too much power in an oversized box = bad



    References

    Sold to jamesdean,jonny101abc,LowLinc,bumpinaintEZ,TurboDu devr4,SVT RELAMPAGO,mk_ ,Burnout956,bonesninja,yenwen,bhsdriller,dalucifer ,BoondockSaints,WillyG4444, alfmoney,btnhfan,dB Dom

    Bought From TeamPSI,ace_800, Zxcvtypo,bjfish11,atoz350,timbre-audio,Derrick824, lastcall,eclipsefool,rtillaree,PioneerPimp,6spdcou pe,ctmike,Thieroff


    Quote Originally Posted by bumpin buick View Post
    /yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by elmor001 View Post
    I don't think I'm the dumb one here. You just told someone to go divide themself.

    H/U Alpine 9887
    Mids Seas ER18RNX
    Tweets LPG 25NFA
    Subs 2 10" Memphis Audio Shallow Mount Subs
    Mids/Tweets Amp Kicker ZX850.4
    Sub Amp Kicker ZX1000.1

  5. #5
    SSS 18734's Avatar
    SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    Quote Originally Posted by ameduece
    Is there a manufacturer recommended size for sealed and ported? How about the subs power handling.
    Too much power in an oversized box = bad
    The manufacturer recommends 1.75 tuned to 38hz ported. The subs can handle 750 watts RMS.



    Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

  6. #6
    SSS 18734's Avatar
    SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    bump



    Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

  7. #7
    SSS 18734's Avatar
    SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    Come on people, Im sure one of you know the answer to my question



    Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

  8. #8
    ruckus's Avatar
    ruckus is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    It's like pulling teeth aint it.




  9. #9
    pacho's Avatar
    pacho is offline Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    S.C.
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    From what I understand-the bigger the box-the more the sub will move and that in turn causes a very small increase in decibel level-not very noticeable though. But it all depends on the install like everyone else says.




  10. #10
    DFW40's Avatar
    DFW40 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Keller, TX DFW area
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    I'd go with 2 cubes tuned to 32 hz. The bigger the box (ie double the manuf. recomendation) the more low end it has and you can really start to lose spl on the higher notes like 50hz but your 30hz will be louder. But if you go to big you will run into mechanical power handling issues. I usually go with the larger end box of what is recommended but that is just me.




  11. #11
    SSS 18734's Avatar
    SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    Well my subs are made strictly for SPL, but I would like to get some SQ out of them as well. Pioneer recommends a 1.75 cu.ft box tuned to 38hz... which seems kind of small and high. Should I just go with the manufacturer's recomendation or should I try to go bigger and tune lower? This will be my first box by the way.



    Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

  12. #12
    SSS 18734's Avatar
    SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    bump.. again



    Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

  13. #13
    ruckus's Avatar
    ruckus is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    Quote Originally Posted by SSS 18734
    Well my subs are made strictly for SPL, but I would like to get some SQ out of them as well. Pioneer recommends a 1.75 cu.ft box tuned to 38hz... which seems kind of small and high. Should I just go with the manufacturer's recomendation or should I try to go bigger and tune lower? This will be my first box by the way.
    are you sure on the Hz? Im looking at my papers that came in the box and the 1500 is tuned to 37Hz and the 2000 is tuned to 30Hz with the 1.75CU' box with a 4x6.5" port. I was told by the person designing my box the most SPL comes at 40Hz but 35Hz will give alot of SPL and SQ too.




  14. #14
    SSS 18734's Avatar
    SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus
    are you sure on the Hz? Im looking at my papers that came in the box and the 1500 is tuned to 37Hz and the 2000 is tuned to 30Hz with the 1.75CU' box with a 4x6.5" port. I was told by the person designing my box the most SPL comes at 40Hz but 35Hz will give alot of SPL and SQ too.
    Well I don't see a specific line that says it is tuned @ 38hz, but the paperwork I have shows the frequency response diagrams of the driver of that box and it peaks at around 38hz. The 1500SPL's diagram peaks at 40hz.

    I think I am going to go with Pioneer's recommendation just for the sake of less to think about.

    Oh and also, the 1.75 cu.ft that is recommended... does that include the displacement of the sub or not?



    Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

  15. #15
    ruckus's Avatar
    ruckus is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box size

    Quote Originally Posted by SSS 18734
    Well I don't see a specific line that says it is tuned @ 38hz, but the paperwork I have shows the frequency response diagrams of the driver of that box and it peaks at around 38hz. The 1500SPL's diagram peaks at 40hz.

    I think I am going to go with Pioneer's recommendation just for the sake of less to think about.

    Oh and also, the 1.75 cu.ft that is recommended... does that include the displacement of the sub or not?
    thats 1.75cuft after displacement of the speaker and port




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. box size and ports?
    By slicks5150 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 10:48 AM
  2. Please advise, Best box size for 12" He2's
    By Shawnlh in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 01:18 AM
  3. Box size for stroker
    By skeptikal in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 02:02 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2003, 01:00 PM
  5. box size
    By gmc89 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-25-2002, 09:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum