Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What tools do I need to build a subwoofer enclosure?

kronik is offline Audio Nooblet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What tools do I need to build a subwoofer enclosure?

# Jigsaw
    # Electric drill with bits for pre-drilling screw holes and driving screws
    # 3/4" MDF (medium density fiberboard)
    # 2" drywall screws
    # Panhead sheet metal screws (1/2" and 3/4")
    # Carpenter's glue
    # Silicon caulk
    # Non-hardening rope caulk
    # Speaker terminal cup

I purchased a Porter-Cable fixed base router, instead of a jigsaw.
    Plan on using my pop's drill.. need to see where his bits are..

The rest of this stuff can be purchased from Lowes' or Home Depot correct? I think because of budget contraints, I'm going to go with 1 12" XXX instead of 2.. I can buy the 2 but my credit card is about to implode so unless I find a good deal on a used one, it'll have to wait a few months.

I take it I can make the cuts myself on the MDF if I buy a router table?

I've never done *ANY* woodwork before so maybe I'd be better off getting them to cut it at the hardware store?

1999 Camry XLE V6

STUFF FOR SALE -

Alternator: Excessive Amperage 200A
    Tweeter/Crossovers: CDT Upstage System UP-219

Referrals:

johnecon2001
    saosin
    Toxic Tuan
    lslugz

JAZN is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: What tools do I need to build a subwoofer enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by kronik
    I've never done *ANY* woodwork before so maybe I'd be better off getting them to cut it at the hardware store?
    not too sure thats a great idea. they guarantee their cuts within 1/4 of an inch, and lets just say they take advantage of that margin of error. u could have them cut it, and if its not perfect u could just sand it down.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Would I be better just buying a jigsaw as opposed to a router?

1999 Camry XLE V6

STUFF FOR SALE -

Referrals:

johnecon2001
    saosin
    Toxic Tuan
    lslugz

joeldirt is offline Integrity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Tell you what. Good initiative, but bad judgement from what I have read so far. If you want a box you may as well just buy one from walmart, from the sounds of how yours is going to turn out. YOu want a quality box for quality sound. Even a good sealed box takes some planning, and a jig saw doesnt exactly make the best cuts for precision. YOu can set up a fence so that it cuts a straight line, but even then, that takes planning and measuring to get exact results just like using any other tool. A router and table set up again... If you are strapped for one sub, you will most likely be strapped for a good router table set up. Not to mention if you have little to no experience using a router you may burn the **** out of your router bit trying to cut through the MDF all at once, making it so that it wont cut the MDF what so ever and you will wonder what the hell went wrong. For straight lines go with a cheap skill saw they will give you better results then a jig saw or a router. routers are mainly used for flush cutting, rabit joints, dados, straight cuts for cutting out sub baffles for example, stuff like that. you can get the larger routers for instance like a 3 hp model but that will run you alot of $depending on what one you buy. not to mention the table you get with it. a good once should cost you no les then 150 bucks. that is a cheaper good model that has a solid metal plate, finger for starting free hand cuts, ring inserts for larger and smaller bits etc.
    what I am trying to sasy is. if money is tight.... go with a skill saw they are cheap, and easy to manipulate for straight lines. for the hole cut out you say you already have a router. you canmake a circle jig very easy for the sub cut out, and for your terminal cup, however you dont even need a terminal cup. just drill a hole large enough for your speaker wire to fit through and seal it with caulking. you want your joints to fit snug and square with eachother. I don't know how much experience you have with tools, but by the sound of it you seem to be limited, other wise you wouldnt have posted this question. So I would suggest just buying a box or having someone build it for you. because if you are gona spend the money on the tools to build a piece of crap, you may as well take that money to buy one that is half way decent.
    Last edited by joeldirt; 03-05-2005 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Zombietime is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joeldirt
    Tell you what. Good initiative, but bad judgement from what I have read so far. If you want a box you may as well just buy one from walmart, from the sounds of how yours is going to turn out. YOu want a quality box for quality sound. Even a good sealed box takes some planning, and a jig saw doesnt exactly make the best cuts for precision. YOu can set up a fence so that it cuts a straight line, but even then, that takes planning and measuring to get exact results just like using any other tool. A router and table set up again... If you are strapped for one sub, you will most likely be strapped for a good router table set up. Not to mention if you have little to no experience using a router you may burn the **** out of your router bit trying to cut through the MDF all at once, making it so that it wont cut the MDF what so ever and you will wonder what the hell went wrong. For straight lines go with a cheap skill saw they will give you better results then a jig saw or a router. routers are mainly used for flush cutting, rabit joints, dados, straight cuts for cutting out sub baffles for example, stuff like that. you can get the larger routers for instance like a 3 hp model but that will run you alot of $depending on what one you buy. not to mention the table you get with it. a good once should cost you no les then 150 bucks. that is a cheaper good model that has a solid metal plate, finger for starting free hand cuts, ring inserts for larger and smaller bits etc.
    what I am trying to sasy is. if money is tight.... go with a skill saw they are cheap, and easy to manipulate for straight lines. for the hole cut out you say you already have a router. you canmake a circle jig very easy for the sub cut out, and for your terminal cup, however you dont even need a terminal cup. just drill a hole large enough for your speaker wire to fit through and seal it with caulking. you want your joints to fit snug and square with eachother. I don't know how much experience you have with tools, but by the sound of it you seem to be limited, other wise you wouldnt have posted this question. So I would suggest just buying a box or having someone build it for you. because if you are gona spend the money on the tools to build a piece of crap, you may as well take that money to buy one that is half way decent.
    If he makes a simple box, keeps the cuts straight, why would it turn out like crap? The whole point of doing it yourself is to learn. If he never does it, he'll never learn.

joeldirt is offline Integrity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zombietime
    If he makes a simple box, keeps the cuts straight, why would it turn out like crap? The whole point of doing it yourself is to learn. If he never does it, he'll never learn.

I know you are right. But he also needs to learn a bit about planning. Patience is an uncommon virtue. He already spent a good amount of money on a tool that was about a third to fourth on the priority list as far as a bare essential to building a box with no wood working skills. not trying to bemean. I am one of the most helpfull people on here, and deffend people all the time when they are being attacked. However soemtimes you have to tell people what they dont want to hear, so that they get the message clean and clear. no beating around the bush. I know he may be one of the futures most impressive builders and installers. he will remember his begining days.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zombietime
    Thanks.

In response to joeldirt, .. heh. I appreciate your effort in leading me down the correct path, but as Zombietime has already stated, purchasing a prefab box, not designed for my subs, would just be ignorant on my part. Once I buy the tools, buying the materials repeatedly would cost me about 20 bucks. A sub is 370 dollars. You quoted 150 for a router/table. So the sub is ... 2.5 more. If I wanted to, I could buy another sub AND the router/table, but I want to build a box for the singular sub before I drop the cash on the larger one. I'll need the tools either way.

In any event, I haven't spent any money on the tool. Patience is a virtue I possess as I've been researching this stuff since November and just last week started my purchases. Of course, the more I read, the more I realize I need to know about things in more detail, with more precision. Hence, I come to this board asking questions. My post count is higher than yours; obviously, I've made some effort to learn.

The actual reason I posted the question was to see if someone could give me a better idea of the use of a router. Using a jigsaw, while not as accurate, would still work, but I don't believe in buying tools that I'll have to upgrade immediately if I feel it doesn't give me the desired result. I already have the plans for the box, ported as well as sealed. From your assumption, I may not be able to use a router, but I can use a drill and I do believe I know what a yardstick is and how to make measurements. I've also done electrical and plumbing work so caulking shouldn't be too difficult. If glue is .. you know, still glue, I think I'll be ok with that too. The only thing I've never done is precision-cut wood. If it was rocket science, there would probably be quite a few less people participating on these forums. I'll just go with the jigsaw as I originally intended. I read elsewhere that someone said a jigsaw would do the job but the router would be the better investment; it would also cost about 100+ dollars more.

Sorry for the essay; I dislike having my intelligence insulted.

Edit: I also know what a router is used for, my girl forces me to watch home improvement shows, but then again, I know it can be used for cutting wood as well.. which is why I was considering it.
    Last edited by kronik; 03-05-2005 at 10:46 PM.

1999 Camry XLE V6

STUFF FOR SALE -

Referrals:

johnecon2001
    saosin
    Toxic Tuan
    lslugz

saywhat? is offline satx120, jealous?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

u can use a jigsaw perfectly fine, just make sure ur fence is straight all the way down the side, dont float off to the side

vampizhere is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just built a box today for my 2 10's in an old ford truck and it was my first time. I wouldnt say i did the best job but I didnt do the worst one either. For my cuts i actually used a sawzall for the holes and it turned out great. Just took it nice and slow and sure i cut a bit out of the lines but not to bad for not spending any money of what would have done just a bit better job. GL to ya on your box.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vampizhere
    I just built a box today for my 2 10's in an old ford truck and it was my first time. I wouldnt say i did the best job but I didnt do the worst one either. For my cuts i actually used a sawzall for the holes and it turned out great. Just took it nice and slow and sure i cut a bit out of the lines but not to bad for not spending any money of what would have done just a bit better job. GL to ya on your box.
    Gracias, we all gotta start somewhere, right?

I still can't believe that someone would see my sig, with CDT, RE, Zapco, .. and think I would want any sort of electronic component or equipment for one from Wal-Mart besides a PS2 game or a throwaway DVD player. ;p

1999 Camry XLE V6

STUFF FOR SALE -

Referrals:

johnecon2001
    saosin
    Toxic Tuan
    lslugz

Moe Lester is offline 1/3 of TEAM PWNAGE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

a circular saw?

I use:

Circular Saw for large stuff, my crappy tablesaw for small stuff
    Drill w/ predrill/countersink bit/screwdriver quick change
    Jigsaw
    1 5/8" Drywall screws
    Titebond Wood Glue
    Silicone/caulk gun
    Palm Sander
    Router w/ flush trim bit and/or roundover bit.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Lester
    a circular saw?

I use:

Circular Saw for large stuff, my crappy tablesaw for small stuff
    Drill w/ predrill/countersink bit/screwdriver quick change
    Jigsaw
    1 5/8" Drywall screws
    Titebond Wood Glue
    Silicone/caulk gun
    Palm Sander
    Router w/ flush trim bit and/or roundover bit.
    I was thinking I would purchase a circular saw for my straight cuts, a jig and perhaps later a router, for my rounded edges/any woodworking I may get into.

For now, the jig will work for my first couple boxes, I'd think.

1999 Camry XLE V6

STUFF FOR SALE -

Referrals:

johnecon2001
    saosin
    Toxic Tuan
    lslugz

Zombietime is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kronik
    I was thinking I would purchase a circular saw for my straight cuts, a jig and perhaps later a router, for my rounded edges/any woodworking I may get into.

For now, the jig will work for my first couple boxes, I'd think.
    Hey I just noticed you live in Chantilly. I'm buying a tv set from a place in Chantilly that I have to go pick up. I live near Harrisonburg.

Closed Thread