0 Post(s)

building my own box

well im a newbi to the car audio world

im 16, just got my lisence in june

since then i bought a

200W jvc cd/mp3 player
    set of 5 1/4 speakers pioneer for the front of my car
    set of 6 .5 speakers pioneer for the rear

i have a 600watt rockford fosgate amp. its for xmas from my mom so thats when ill be getting it

i since then bought an 1200watt 12'' infinity subwoofer

i need a subwoofer box, im not sure i want to pay 100$ for one im thinking about building one or getting someone too i need a good site to go to for this OR good advice.
    i tried getting a blueprint from a guy online but he couldnt get it

any ideas on building a box? i want to do it myself and hopefully do it better then a cheapie in a store and save some money while im at it, i also like to take some pride in my stuff instead of just wasting money at some local shop, thanks lots
    i want to build a box fairly soon and get the sub in it so i can hook this stuff up shortly after xmas

greatly apperciated

PLR

poorlilrich is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: building my own box

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac
    Model numbers would help ...

I assume you mean the Infinity 1230W (or 1232W) ...

Peak power ratings mean nothing ... they're just a marketing gimmick ... RMS power is much more meaningful and realistic
    yes its the 1230W
    sub is 300watts RMS
    amp is 2 chans, when bridged its 200watts rms, now it has a little thing on a slip that says it was tested by whoever and tested at 272rms

poorlilrich is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac
    P2002 ?

I'd probably go with a ported enclosure to get the most SPL out of the sub, since that's where your system would probably be lacking ...

Here's the recommended ported enclosure (Page 2)

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Bo...ch%20Sheet.pdf

Or I could design one for you if desired (for $10) ...
    the ported enclosure does look harder to build then the sealed
    im going to re read these again and again to make sense of the measurements

joeldirt is offline Integrity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you know man.... since it is a simple system, not a whole lot of power, and you are new to building boxes.... I would actually suggest a sealled box. It is more forgiving for design flaws. Sealled boxes give a clean sharp bass, and you would be happy with your results. For your first box.... try sealed, ported boxes are more difficult to design and sound right, you could lose sound integrity, or damage a sub if you build it wrong. I know you are only sending 200 watts to the sub... but you would spend less time for a sure quality clean sound wiht a simple sealed box design. I can help walk you through a solid air tight enclosure if you like. Got alot of good advice for building a strong, durable, clean looking box. sounds like you have a little bit of time. don't rush through it read, and concider all advice from anyone helping. This is only my opinion. And won't charge you for box plans. Since it is a really simple design. YOu shouldnt have to pay for plans don't get ****** in to that unless you are wanting a really custom box. None the less, if you want to build a really custom looking box, let me know its your first box I'll help you out best I can.

bonesninja is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joeldirt
    you know man.... since it is a simple system, not a whole lot of power, and you are new to building boxes.... I would actually suggest a sealled box. It is more forgiving for design flaws. Sealled boxes give a clean sharp bass, and you would be happy with your results. For your first box.... try sealed, ported boxes are more difficult to design and sound right, you could lose sound integrity, or damage a sub if you build it wrong. I know you are only sending 200 watts to the sub... but you would spend less time for a sure quality clean sound wiht a simple sealed box design. I can help walk you through a solid air tight enclosure if you like. Got alot of good advice for building a strong, durable, clean looking box. sounds like you have a little bit of time. don't rush through it read, and concider all advice from anyone helping. This is only my opinion. And won't charge you for box plans. Since it is a really simple design. YOu shouldnt have to pay for plans don't get ****** in to that unless you are wanting a really custom box. None the less, if you want to build a really custom looking box, let me know its your first box I'll help you out best I can.
    oh oh ---watch out jmac--someone trying to take some business from you

Quote Originally Posted by chase007 View Post
    if u need a box...I'l taked 3 years of shop class so i know what im doing.

after i explained to him there's more to a proper box than boards and glue and he should practice before trying to sell boxes to others

yes personaly if it was some one elce that just starting making boxes but i'v taken shop for 3 years now...Making a lil box is nothing i don't need to pratice on a box to get it right i learned alot of stuff from 1 box and i can fix that in my next box
    after i told him that customers would care about the looks of the box

if u want some thing that looks pretty why don't u find a black guy with a big d*ck.

joeldirt is offline Integrity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aint gona try to step on any one's toes at all. I am brand new to this site. I have built some really nice boxes though. I figured I would give some advice to the kid, figured it wouldnt be fair to take advantage of a young lad. People actually charge for thier own box designs? Interesting, I thought this was open forum general talk sharing know how and stuff. I aint trying to make money or take away from anyone else making money. Sorry if I am stepping on toes.. not the intent here.

Closed Thread