+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Reload Thread: The do's and dont''s of my first wall....it seems like something isn't right....

ferguson621 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Re: The do's and dont''s of my first wall....it seems like something isn't right....

No they were far from being hot.....they were a soft warm if that makes sense lmao, i guess they weren't that warm....i didn't smell the coils at all, I'm just nervous to try and push them further since i finally got just about all of it done

Alternator: Mechman 240 amp
    Head unit: Pioneer X7500BT
    Subs: Three CT sounds meso 18's with upgraded PSI recones
    Sub Amp: Taramps 8k
    Door speakers: Four soundqubed 6.5" coaxials
    Tweeters: Two soundqubed tweeters
    4 ch amp: Memphis PRX 5.550
    External Voltage regulator..........Big 4 in 4/0 welding wire
    Dual Power and Ground inputs on taramps 8k......One run of ****** ebay 0 gauge wire to batts in the back

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3578 Post(s)

Re: The do's and dont''s of my first wall....it seems like something isn't right....

Quote Originally Posted by ferguson621 View Post
    Ok gotcha, I have a question....could I get away with just adding pieces like in your picture even though my port is square? Or will I have to just make a square insert?
    Yes for testing, but that'll leave rough edges so you will want a plan to smooth things off once you're happy with the frequency.

What should my port area per foot be? I took out the port and they're not nearly as loud......they hardly play any. Notes......I'm going to try for 250-280 for port area
    Port should be as big as you can make it. If your output "lost" it may just be a function of tuning so you'd need to add some length to the port. This is why it is vital to meter or at least play some tones with a notebook and just guess which frequencies are loud and where it starts to drop off sharp on the low end.

Alright here's an update......a good one! lol.....I went with 252 square inches of port area and 11 square inches of port area per foot and they're alot louder than when I had the port at 180 square inches. I have another question....obviously with this many watts ( i know it's nothing compared to some of you) but is there anything I can do to make them not get warm as quick? Should I turn my gain down a little? I want to be able to play them continuously for about an hour or two without having to worry about the coils getting to hot.
    Those are realistically 1200W continuous power handling coils and you have an 8K amp. At full power you may not be able to play more than 1 bass heavy song before getting into trouble. Warm is fine/normal, hot and smelly means you had better turn it down quick.

I'm just nervous to try and push them further since i finally got just about all of it done
    Good. Go easy as you test and until you really test out the limits of things. I don't think you want to blow up any more gear, you got extremely lucky how cheap you got off with the broken amp.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Im going to turn the gain diwn a little....i was playing a bass heavy song and they started to smell a little after about 25 seconds of the song, and I recalculated the port and I was off by alot. It's tuned to 45-ish hz....I thought it was at 35-36.....the song I was testing was dark horse, I don't remember what it plays at....I think it was like 28,32,45....roughly. So would being tuned as high as I am at the moment, would playing in that range cause them to get hot quicker? And yes i got extremely lucky with my amp....i still cant believe he fixed it for free.
    Last edited by ferguson621; 1 Week Ago at 09:19 PM.

Dual Power and Ground inputs on taramps 8k......One run of ****** ebay 0 gauge wire to batts in the back

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Alright so i changed the port again, with very good results!.....to my ears they sound louder and i can feel the higher notes more....and my back doors look like jello lol. I'm going to try and get it metered within the next few days...i want to go to gp audio since he's like 30 minutes from me...but I'm nervous to drive my car that far because of the shi tty luck I've had with it....but i might say f uck it and try and go their today.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

I feel like they should be considerably louder though, especially since my car is smaller than a full sized suv.....cause a friend of mine used to have two 15" l7's on two zx2500.1's doing 150 on music and that was about 10 years ago....in a ported box in a 2000 suburban, and only two or three batteries....there's a car audio shop about 15 minutes from me that has a meter but i think they charge like $20 to meter unless they think your stereo is worthy of being metered...im gonna stop by and see if they'll let me meter for free so i can finally get an idea of where I'm at
    Last edited by ferguson621; 1 Week Ago at 01:30 PM.

ChaseinBass is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    798 Post(s)

Well what's the numbers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pioneer Prs80, Taramps 15000 HD,two 18 team FI ,PPI900.4, Massive Audio CT2 tweeters and 2 pr Anarchy mids, 3 group31 juicebox batterys , lots of 0 gauge and NRG aluminum hardware, Triple alts, 4 Banks of maxwell ultra caps.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

I haven't went yet

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3578 Post(s)

he's like 30 minutes from me...but I'm nervous to drive my car that far
    That's my drive to buy groceries.

You still haven't properly sealed off the front yet have you? Is the box itself at least sealed up? GP seems to be a genuine enthusiast, I expect he can give you some pointers on where to gain.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

I have not hispls....I'm actually working on sealing it up right now.....there's a couple very tiny cracks that i found yesterday on the box that i need to seal up. Nothing major though. I havent been able to check for flexing though because i was doing some testing a few days ago when i was switching ports and the neighbors like 6 blocks behind me called the cops and complained about how loud my stereo was and the cops showed up at my door about 10 minutes after i had gotten home and told me i cant play my stereo till i get out of town lmao. I'll have to go to my friends who live out in the country to do some real testing. Hopefully here in a little bit actually.....and excellent idea hispls! I didn't think about that lmao

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Lol im nervous because ive had bad luck with this da mn pacifica. But i should be fine....ive taken it on the highway a few times already and it's done good every time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

User Tag List