+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Reload Thread: Oh look more questions about ports, exciting..

  1. #1
    SgtHawk's Avatar
    SgtHawk is offline Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

    Oh look more questions about ports, exciting..

    Alright, some of you guys might remember my old thread asking about the lack of audible output with an x15v2 on 2k front firing in the trunk. I ended up sealing it off to the best of my ability and i did get a surprising increase in the audible output, but its already time for a potential upgrade because ya know, young and dumb with more money than sense is what my parents keep saying...

    That being said, I was really wanting to grab a 15" along the lines of an SP4, Evil or something in that range and pushing it with more than likely a SCV4k.

    I've got one main concern thats really holding me back from pulling the trigger. I'd very much like to use an aeroport for this box and i see alot of people from facebook groups to forums that say use 1 8" or 2 6" ports for say the SP4 on 3k or 4k but modeling it gives me vent speeds in the high 30s and low 40s which from all my prior research is way out of the "safe range" for avoiding compression and port noise.

    TLDR Are aeroports really that much more efficient than slot ports in the sense that you can get away with much higher vent speeds or are people just dense and dont know better or just dont care about potential compression issues and noise issues?

    As always, input is greatly appreciated.

    Side note, i can fit a slot port with more than enough port area i'd just really like to try out aeros.

    TIA







  2. #2
    kr15's Avatar
    kr15 is online now Polluting Residentials



    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

    Re: Oh look more questions about ports, exciting..

    Yes aeros are more efficient, you can get away with as little as 8-9 ^2



    Team Flex Issues
    Temp Setup- 2 jvf custom ssx 12s on rd3250.1 v1
    Xs Power/Hertz/Image Dynamics
    REFS- Supergumby5000, Lastcall, 919motoring, hippishake, daboyfromdabx (great seller), beach22

  3. #3
    wew lad's Avatar
    wew lad is offline wew lad inc



    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    4,483
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2311 Post(s)

    Re: Oh look more questions about ports, exciting..

    any 4 inch fi 15 and a banda 7k, taramps hd8k, etc. for the best results at your point. if you have good electrical get a taramps bass 15k

    and yes that port area is a-ok

    dont expect an aeroport to give you worthwhile output for your effort, orientation, vehicle tuning, enclosure optimization, power, and sub choice will dictate that



    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKuthe View Post
    I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudz View Post
    Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

  4. #4
    SgtHawk's Avatar
    SgtHawk is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

    Re: Oh look more questions about ports, exciting..

    Quote Originally Posted by kr15 View Post
    Yes aeros are more efficient, you can get away with as little as 8-9 ^2

    Quote Originally Posted by wew lad View Post
    any 4 inch fi 15 and a banda 7k, taramps hd8k, etc. for the best results at your point. if you have good electrical get a taramps bass 15k

    and yes that port area is a-ok

    dont expect an aeroport to give you worthwhile output for your effort, orientation, vehicle tuning, enclosure optimization, power, and sub choice will dictate that

    Thanks guys and yeah im still piecing things together as far as equipment but glad to hear that i'll be able to get away with the aero, appreciated as always!




  5. #5
    Jeffdachef's Avatar
    Jeffdachef is online now Gunz That Turn on Nunz



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Coast Metro, CA
    Posts
    14,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6876 Post(s)

    Re: Oh look more questions about ports, exciting..

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtHawk View Post
    Alright, some of you guys might remember my old thread asking about the lack of audible output with an x15v2 on 2k front firing in the trunk. I ended up sealing it off to the best of my ability and i did get a surprising increase in the audible output, but its already time for a potential upgrade because ya know, young and dumb with more money than sense is what my parents keep saying...

    That being said, I was really wanting to grab a 15" along the lines of an SP4, Evil or something in that range and pushing it with more than likely a SCV4k.

    I've got one main concern thats really holding me back from pulling the trigger. I'd very much like to use an aeroport for this box and i see alot of people from facebook groups to forums that say use 1 8" or 2 6" ports for say the SP4 on 3k or 4k but modeling it gives me vent speeds in the high 30s and low 40s which from all my prior research is way out of the "safe range" for avoiding compression and port noise.

    TLDR Are aeroports really that much more efficient than slot ports in the sense that you can get away with much higher vent speeds or are people just dense and dont know better or just dont care about potential compression issues and noise issues?

    As always, input is greatly appreciated.

    Side note, i can fit a slot port with more than enough port area i'd just really like to try out aeros.

    TIA
    how good is the seal? Have you done air leak tests from the trunk to the cabin? Any little leak would costs several tenths to a several dbs of output depending on the leak.

    Remember your rear deck needs to be sealed off too not just where the sub box is firing in. Try changing the tuning of the box first or add some wood pieces inside to take up airspace.



    09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

  6. #6
    SgtHawk's Avatar
    SgtHawk is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

    Re: Oh look more questions about ports, exciting..

    seal is most likely horribly subpar but for a first go i think it went half decent, ripped out all the equipment already because im impatient but the rear deck and trunk were sealed up with more wood, expanding foam because im dumb, deadener and whatnot, not the prettiest but it did give me a decent increase in output. Whenever i decide what the next setup will be and its not snowing i'll go back in and make sure everything is 100% stout and proper.

    Any recommendations beside great stuff? i dont mind the mess but if theres a cleaner way for everywhere it isnt already im all for it.




+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum