+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Genesis Coupe. Newbie Fiberglass Sub Box: How Should I Finish the Box? Carpet/liner?

nobb is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Genesis Coupe. Newbie Fiberglass Sub Box: How Should I Finish the Box? Carpet/liner?

Hi guys,

This is the first time I've attempted to build a fiberglass subwoofer box, and so far, it seems to be going well. I have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe and I upgraded the stock 8" sub to an Image Dynamics ID8 with an upgraded amp to power it. Problem is, the sub is installed in the stock rear deck location (infinite baffle) and the extra power causes massive rattling problems at high volumes of which no amount of deadening seems to fix. Hence, the need to build a dedicated enclosure for the sub. I didn't want to give up too much trunk space, so I decided to build a custom fiberglass enclosure to take up as little space as possible.

Pics below of what I have done so far:

I'm at the point where the box is 70% done. All I have left to do is touch it up with some Bondo, and sanding it down for a better finish.

My question to you guys is...how do you think I should finish it? I don't have any experience with box building, and as you can tell, this is a pretty curved box. Should I even attempt to carpet it, or will it look like crap? I have a feeling I might have a hard time trying to wrap around those curves. Or should I just apply a spray/roll-on bedliner to the box? Any other thoughts of what other options I might have to finish it? I'd like a stealthy OEM type look to the box once installed.

Also please feel free to critique my build so far and any other thoughts you might have for a newbie.

Your thoughts would be great. Thanks!

bubbagumper6 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Re: Genesis Coupe. Newbie Fiberglass Sub Box: How Should I Finish the Box? Carpet/lin

Where is the curved part going to sit? If it's going to be back in with some panels or whatnot you may not need to cover it at all. I carpeted mine and yeah the odd corners were kind of difficult to work around but you can basically just allow the carpet to fold naturally around the corners then cut off the extra and seem them together.

nobb is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Genesis Coupe. Newbie Fiberglass Sub Box: How Should I Finish the Box? Carpet/lin

Never thought of that, good call. The enclosure will sit in the side of the trunk with the flat wooden side exposed. The curved sized are pressed against the side of the trunk and hidden.

supra1987 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Carpet what you see and spray the back with a thick coat or two of bedliner or some type of rubber spray.

dumple is online now What's in your trunk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Where are you installing in the trunk I may want one!

Pioneer Appradio 3
    JBL ms8, JBL MS-A5001
    PHD Studio neo 6.5s, PHD fb 1.1b
    Cdt m6+
    TC Sounds Epic 10
    cream jean of sound 8======D~
    refs: Lil_KB, jesusbasscadill, Crzy, Wkbdkid, bigwheel15, groggy23, kenbei, Belunt (awesomebox), Nissan, shallowfu, jonnybusa, alxmlr789, pioneerpimp, peas247, ravens9322, sundownz, audiobahnuser18, [email]nbesaw2@new.rr, jared530, brenTgrillzem, Revrider1

+ Reply to Thread