+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Reload Thread: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

  1. #16
    4bannger's Avatar
    4bannger is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious. View Post
    I would shrink it a little to try and get the Fc above 40..
    how would i go about doing that? just make the sealed section smaller?







  2. #17
    SounDrive's Avatar
    SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lebanon & Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    896 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bannger View Post
    how would i go about doing that? just make the sealed section smaller?
    Yes. I threw some numbers together.

    3 cubes sealed gives you a sealed resonance of 42. You'd tune the ported section to 42 hz. The ported chamber would need to be 3-6 cubes AFTER displacement depending on your goals - closer to 3 cubes for a wider bandwidth, closer to 6 cubes for more SPL. Optimal port area is somewhere between about 120 and 175 square inches. I would stay on the lower side and also recommend using a large aero unless you plan on doing a lot of testing and cutting back on port area. A 12-14 inch flared PVC aero would be the most efficient.. or a pair of 10" aeros.



    Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

    Find us on Facebook!

  3. #18
    4bannger's Avatar
    4bannger is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious. View Post
    Yes. I threw some numbers together.

    3 cubes sealed gives you a sealed resonance of 42. You'd tune the ported section to 42 hz. The ported chamber would need to be 3-6 cubes AFTER displacement depending on your goals - closer to 3 cubes for a wider bandwidth, closer to 6 cubes for more SPL. Optimal port area is somewhere between about 120 and 175 square inches. I would stay on the lower side and also recommend using a large aero unless you plan on doing a lot of testing and cutting back on port area. A 12-14 inch flared PVC aero would be the most efficient.. or a pair of 10" aeros.
    Thanks for all your help. can you tell me how you came up with that number so I can learn




  4. #19
    SounDrive's Avatar
    SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lebanon & Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    896 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bannger View Post
    Thanks for all your help. can you tell me how you came up with that number so I can learn
    I'm on my phone so I don't have the Fc formula in front of me.

    For ratios:
    1:1 to 2:1 (ported:sealed) ratio is generally more oriented to having a better bandwidth or being daily. 2:1 and up is more SPL oriented and 5:1 is about where returns start diminishing from what I understand.

    For port area:
    It depends on the vehicle and box, optimal port area is almost always between 1/3 and 1/2 of cone area. It's usually better to go with 1/3 if you're doing a "one and done" box. If you're going to adjust, it's easier to start at 1/2 and slowly cut down.

    For tuning:
    Tune at Fc for daily and "most" SPL purposes. Some people will play with the tuning for a flatter response or for more SPL at a certain frequency although it's again a lot of testing. Also, aeros are always better than slot ports if the design allows for it. 4th orders are tuned high so the port length isn't usually very long so they work great.



    Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

    Find us on Facebook!

  5. #20
    4bannger's Avatar
    4bannger is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious. View Post
    I'm on my phone so I don't have the Fc formula in front of me.

    For ratios:
    1:1 to 2:1 (ported:sealed) ratio is generally more oriented to having a better bandwidth or being daily. 2:1 and up is more SPL oriented and 5:1 is about where returns start diminishing from what I understand.

    For port area:
    It depends on the vehicle and box, optimal port area is almost always between 1/3 and 1/2 of cone area. It's usually better to go with 1/3 if you're doing a "one and done" box. If you're going to adjust, it's easier to start at 1/2 and slowly cut down.

    For tuning:
    Tune at Fc for daily and "most" SPL purposes. Some people will play with the tuning for a flatter response or for more SPL at a certain frequency although it's again a lot of testing. Also, aeros are always better than slot ports if the design allows for it. 4th orders are tuned high so the port length isn't usually very long so they work great.
    well thanks for all your help.




  6. #21
    4bannger's Avatar
    4bannger is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious. View Post
    I'm on my phone so I don't have the Fc formula in front of me.

    For ratios:
    1:1 to 2:1 (ported:sealed) ratio is generally more oriented to having a better bandwidth or being daily. 2:1 and up is more SPL oriented and 5:1 is about where returns start diminishing from what I understand.

    For port area:
    It depends on the vehicle and box, optimal port area is almost always between 1/3 and 1/2 of cone area. It's usually better to go with 1/3 if you're doing a "one and done" box. If you're going to adjust, it's easier to start at 1/2 and slowly cut down.

    For tuning:
    Tune at Fc for daily and "most" SPL purposes. Some people will play with the tuning for a flatter response or for more SPL at a certain frequency although it's again a lot of testing. Also, aeros are always better than slot ports if the design allows for it. 4th orders are tuned high so the port length isn't usually very long so they work great.
    is that 3 cuft per sub or for both




  7. #22
    T3mpest's Avatar
    T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,020
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    353 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Running it through winisd real quickly 3-3.5 cubes for each chamber tuned around 40hz should be fine. You can always built it a bit larger in each chamber and tune a little lower and then chop the port and add something to take up space as needed. So I'd start with 3.5 in each half chamber tuned at 40 and you can always work it up or down once you've heard it. It's MUCH easier to know how to make a design like this after you have it in the car and know what you want to change.



    Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.


  8. #23
    4bannger's Avatar
    4bannger is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    Running it through winisd real quickly 3-3.5 cubes for each chamber tuned around 40hz should be fine. You can always built it a bit larger in each chamber and tune a little lower and then chop the port and add something to take up space as needed. So I'd start with 3.5 in each half chamber tuned at 40 and you can always work it up or down once you've heard it. It's MUCH easier to know how to make a design like this after you have it in the car and know what you want to change.
    yeah thats true. thanks for your and everyones help. I learned alot. from everyone. Im gonna do some google sketch up designs and post them tonight or in the morning and maybe someone can take a final look at my numbers. im not really looking for a one and done box being that I get all the free MDF from my shop I want...but I i dont wanna make something and it be terrible.

    One more question. Im only running 800 rms to them which is way less power than they need. They sound suprizingly loud off the small amount of power im putting to them. would that effect the 4th order. I plan on buying a new amp when tax returns come in but i wanna build the box now.




  9. #24
    SounDrive's Avatar
    SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lebanon & Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    896 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bannger View Post
    yeah thats true. thanks for your and everyones help. I learned alot. from everyone. Im gonna do some google sketch up designs and post them tonight or in the morning and maybe someone can take a final look at my numbers. im not really looking for a one and done box being that I get all the free MDF from my shop I want...but I i dont wanna make something and it be terrible.

    One more question. Im only running 800 rms to them which is way less power than they need. They sound suprizingly loud off the small amount of power im putting to them. would that effect the 4th order. I plan on buying a new amp when tax returns come in but i wanna build the box now.
    4th orders are very efficient You generally don't want to overpower subs very much in one.

    From what I understand, a 2:1 ratio 4th order is around the same SPL level (generally) as a ported box. More ported volume = more efficient but less bandwidth. Conversely, less ported volume is less efficient but gives you a wider bandwidth.



    Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

    Find us on Facebook!

  10. #25
    4bannger's Avatar
    4bannger is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    im going to be posting up my deisned 4th order with an adjustable port on it.




  11. #26
    4bannger's Avatar
    4bannger is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious. View Post
    I'm on my phone so I don't have the Fc formula in front of me.

    For ratios:
    1:1 to 2:1 (ported:sealed) ratio is generally more oriented to having a better bandwidth or being daily. 2:1 and up is more SPL oriented and 5:1 is about where returns start diminishing from what I understand.

    For port area:
    It depends on the vehicle and box, optimal port area is almost always between 1/3 and 1/2 of cone area. It's usually better to go with 1/3 if you're doing a "one and done" box. If you're going to adjust, it's easier to start at 1/2 and slowly cut down.

    For tuning:
    Tune at Fc for daily and "most" SPL purposes. Some people will play with the tuning for a flatter response or for more SPL at a certain frequency although it's again a lot of testing. Also, aeros are always better than slot ports if the design allows for it. 4th orders are tuned high so the port length isn't usually very long so they work great.
    Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    Running it through winisd real quickly 3-3.5 cubes for each chamber tuned around 40hz should be fine. You can always built it a bit larger in each chamber and tune a little lower and then chop the port and add something to take up space as needed. So I'd start with 3.5 in each half chamber tuned at 40 and you can always work it up or down once you've heard it. It's MUCH easier to know how to make a design like this after you have it in the car and know what you want to change.

    Okay so here is what i got. the port is adjustable up to a 12x12port. I figured I could make it this way, unless im tottaly wrong and adjust it to my liking with tuning the port. sub are firing into the sealed section as ive heard it may be a good idea so you can smell the coils heating up. I would love to get your thoughts and ideas about this design. I took all your suggestions into though in my design.

    4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's-4thorderbox-finall.jpg4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's-ported-finaal.jpg4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's-sealed-finall.jpg




  12. #27
    SounDrive's Avatar
    SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lebanon & Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    896 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bannger View Post
    Okay so here is what i got. the port is adjustable up to a 12x12port. I figured I could make it this way, unless im tottaly wrong and adjust it to my liking with tuning the port. sub are firing into the sealed section as ive heard it may be a good idea so you can smell the coils heating up. I would love to get your thoughts and ideas about this design. I took all your suggestions into though in my design.

    Attachment 26546614Attachment 26546615Attachment 26546616
    The numbers look good, but the design may need to be tweaked. You don't want to port opening to be right in front of the subs, and you want to avoid having subs firing directly at each other at possible. Do you have room to have the subs parallel with the front of the box?

    You may want to shrink the sealed section to about 3 cubes to raise the Fc a little, although it would be fine at 40 for a daily box.



    Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

    Find us on Facebook!

  13. #28
    4bannger's Avatar
    4bannger is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious. View Post
    I'm on my phone so I don't have the Fc formula in front of me.

    For ratios:
    1:1 to 2:1 (ported:sealed) ratio is generally more oriented to having a better bandwidth or being daily. 2:1 and up is more SPL oriented and 5:1 is about where returns start diminishing from what I understand.

    For port area:
    It depends on the vehicle and box, optimal port area is almost always between 1/3 and 1/2 of cone area. It's usually better to go with 1/3 if you're doing a "one and done" box. If you're going to adjust, it's easier to start at 1/2 and slowly cut down.

    For tuning:
    Tune at Fc for daily and "most" SPL purposes. Some people will play with the tuning for a flatter response or for more SPL at a certain frequency although it's again a lot of testing. Also, aeros are always better than slot ports if the design allows for it. 4th orders are tuned high so the port length isn't usually very long so they work great.
    Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    Running it through winisd real quickly 3-3.5 cubes for each chamber tuned around 40hz should be fine. You can always built it a bit larger in each chamber and tune a little lower and then chop the port and add something to take up space as needed. So I'd start with 3.5 in each half chamber tuned at 40 and you can always work it up or down once you've heard it. It's MUCH easier to know how to make a design like this after you have it in the car and know what you want to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious. View Post
    The numbers look good, but the design may need to be tweaked. You don't want to port opening to be right in front of the subs, and you want to avoid having subs firing directly at each other at possible. Do you have room to have the subs parallel with the front of the box?

    You may want to shrink the sealed section to about 3 cubes to raise the Fc a little, although it would be fine at 40 for a daily box.
    well the sub are reverse mounted and firing into the sealed sections. But i was worried about that being a problem. I think im going to make it with two chambers the sealed split in half with 3 cuft in each sealed chamber, and the sealed chamber in front like the first design i posted.Il try to get something together really quick.




  14. #29
    4bannger's Avatar
    4bannger is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    okay so here is my revised plan based on your feedback. made the ported sections a bit smaler buy still tuned to around 40hz. the port is still going to be adjustable 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's-ported-final-1.0.jpg4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's-sealed-final-1.0.jpg4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's-4thorderbox1.0.jpg




  15. #30
    SounDrive's Avatar
    SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lebanon & Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    896 Post(s)

    Re: 4th order design 2 alpine type r 15's

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bannger View Post
    okay so here is my revised plan based on your feedback. made the ported sections a bit smaler buy still tuned to around 40hz. the port is still going to be adjustable Attachment 26546617Attachment 26546618Attachment 26546619
    That one looks better. Would an external port be possible in your vehicle? It would be easier to adjust tuning and port area on if you desired.



    Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

    Find us on Facebook!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Alpine type r 15"
    By RavE in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-17-2002, 01:39 AM
  2. alpine type-r 15" and amp question
    By spike_spiegel in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2002, 10:42 PM
  3. 3 alpine type r 15s, jbl 1200.1, 2 jbl 600.1????
    By kixazz2529 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2002, 08:39 PM
  4. ALPINE TYPE R 15" 2ohm DVC
    By MR_LOWRIDER in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2002, 06:18 PM
  5. Alpine Type R 15" OR Hx2 15"
    By Fosgatepower in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2002, 10:03 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum