Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

Re: two 15" alpine type r's some ported box questions

Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    In short, larger ports equal less possibility for port noise but too large a port lowers power handling and makes the sub(s) more prone to damage when played below Fb. With respect to box tuning, more port area causes you to need a longer port. i.e., a 3" port tuned to 30 Hz will be shorter than a 4" port tuned to 30 Hz, all other things being equal. Larger box volumes will allow for shorter port lengths to achieve the same tuning frequency.

Bent ports won't change increase SPL but they can decrease it if not constructed properly. When you do a bent port, you need to maintain port dimensions as closely as possible throughout the turns, which can be sufficiently achieved using 45° wave guides in the corners.

Lastly, if we assume about 3 cubes per sub for the subs you mentioned, you need ~100inČ of port, which isn't too far off from the 120inČ of port area you mentioned. And in the end, I'd rather see a little more port area than needed than a little less, as turbulence in a small port can ruin the sound quality of the box.
    That's answered a lot of the questions that I had. One more that I forgot to post the other day and should
    Be my last question.

**** I get material for free at work. So I plan on making the box walls 1 1/2" thick by doubling up the 3/4" mdf. I wanna make the box really stiff so there isn't flex. But is there such thing as too dense. Do I want a little flex or
    None at
    All.

ThatChevyGuy is offline NOLA Sludge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    958 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4bannger View Post
    That's answered a lot of the questions that I had. One more that I forgot to post the other day and should
    Be my last question.

**** I get material for free at work. So I plan on making the box walls 1 1/2" thick by doubling up the 3/4" mdf. I wanna make the box really stiff so there isn't flex. But is there such thing as too dense. Do I want a little flex or
    None at
    All.
    None.

REFS:
    Squeak9798, Kumbos310w6, BigBangTheory, Jmanpc, MillzThaYungin, WLDock, -Leister-, ThomasG, J31Rob (and a few more I have forgotten)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
    eat my asshole you insignificant bastard child of a retarded dingleberry cunt wrinkle fuck toy
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    her pussy better be that nicest pussy you ever ever ever had. she better suck, swallow, jack off, eat ass and snatch, make sammiwich, do yard work and fix the vehicals while nude. Because a bitch like that is definately gonna cause alot of stress in your life, even thou she keeps your wallet and your balls drained.
    Quote Originally Posted by 05fronty View Post
    bitch you better swallow and not make a mess

3. Likes bbeljefe liked this post
    4bannger is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThatChevyGuy View Post
    None.
    So today I talked to this guy who said he "knows what he's talking about". Long story short he basically went against all the information I've obtained online. So either you can't believe everything you read
    Online or you can trust everything a stranger in a parking lot tells you.

Okay so here's my new questions.

What is the best tuning frequency range for subs?

Will different sub sizes play different frequencies better and if so would it be better to have multiple sizes in the same set up

bmk6795 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

So today I talked to this guy who said he "knows what he's talking about". Long story short he basically went against all the information I've obtained online. So either you can't believe everything you read
    Online or you can trust everything a stranger in a parking lot tells you.

Okay so here's my new questions.

What is the best tuning frequency range for subs?

Will different sub sizes play different frequencies better and if so would it be better to have multiple sizes in the same set up
    for music i tune from 35 and down, for pure spl it's usually 45+.

don't mix sub sizes or brands.

and i think id trust a car audio forum over some stranger, lol.

Link to Itrader feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1017953

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    676 Post(s)

The best tuning range for subwoofers is dependent upon your goals, your box and the sub you're using. Sub bass is in the <80 Hz region and most enclosures will do well from 50-80 Hz and even higher, although you don't want your subs pulling midbass duty, which is why we cross them over at ~80 Hz.

As far as different sized subs playing different frequencies better, yes and no. A 6" (true) subwoofer will play a 25 Hz note and an 18" sub will play an 80 Hz note. But sound waves are peculiar, in that lower frequency notes are less audible to human ears and thus, must be played at higher sound pressure levels in order for us to hear them. And actually, once you get into the low 20Hz range, you really feel the note more than you hear it. Also, low notes are more difficult to produce in a vehicle because they are very long and a vehicle cabin isn't.

So... a 6" sub can produce 20 Hz notes but in order for those notes to be heard and felt, it needs to be in the right cabinet and it needs a lot of power. Even still, there isn't much cone area so while it is indeed playing the low note, it isn't moving a lot of air and thus, doesn't seem to be playing the low note. Contrast that with an 18" sub and you're moving much more air on the same power, so obviously, it would appear that the 18 is doing better. But technically, it isn't playing anything the small sub isn't... it's just playing the same notes louder.

As for mixing sub sizes, you can do that if you need upper sub bass reinforcement because of a narrow bandwidth box like a 4th or 6th order but on balance, it isn't necessary or very effectual for the space and expense.

And lastly, don't fall for the myth that big subs aren't musical. I'm running two monster 15" subs in a transmission line in my truck and the upper sub bass is tight, fast and accurate. And, I have no smaller subs in the system. Sound quality has to do with the box, not the amount of piston area each driver displaces.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

7. Likes basicbasshead liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    The best tuning range for subwoofers is dependent upon your goals, your box and the sub you're using. Sub bass is in the <80 Hz region and most enclosures will do well from 50-80 Hz and even higher, although you don't want your subs pulling midbass duty, which is why we cross them over at ~80 Hz.

As far as different sized subs playing different frequencies better, yes and no. A 6" (true) subwoofer will play a 25 Hz note and an 18" sub will play an 80 Hz note. But sound waves are peculiar, in that lower frequency notes are less audible to human ears and thus, must be played at higher sound pressure levels in order for us to hear them. And actually, once you get into the low 20Hz range, you really feel the note more than you hear it. Also, low notes are more difficult to produce in a vehicle because they are very long and a vehicle cabin isn't.

So... a 6" sub can produce 20 Hz notes but in order for those notes to be heard and felt, it needs to be in the right cabinet and it needs a lot of power. Even still, there isn't much cone area so while it is indeed playing the low note, it isn't moving a lot of air and thus, doesn't seem to be playing the low note. Contrast that with an 18" sub and you're moving much more air on the same power, so obviously, it would appear that the 18 is doing better. But technically, it isn't playing anything the small sub isn't... it's just playing the same notes louder.

As for mixing sub sizes, you can do that if you need upper sub bass reinforcement because of a narrow bandwidth box like a 4th or 6th order but on balance, it isn't necessary or very effectual for the space and expense.

And lastly, don't fall for the myth that big subs aren't musical. I'm running two monster 15" subs in a transmission line in my truck and the upper sub bass is tight, fast and accurate. And, I have no smaller subs in the system. Sound quality has to do with the box, not the amount of piston area each driver displaces.
    Okay so just for clarification.

1. Mixing subs is okay only when needed but can
    Be almost pointless in okay cases

2. All sub can hit the same frequency as long as they are powered right and in the right enclosure.

3. 35hz and down for music and 45+ for spl

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    676 Post(s)

Okay so just for clarification.

1. Mixing subs is okay only when needed but can
    Be almost pointless in okay cases

2. All sub can hit the same frequency as long as they are powered right and in the right enclosure.

3. 35hz and down for music and 45+ for spl

It isn't that easy. One and two are but three isn't. There are a lot of guys doing stupid sound pressure on 35 Hz tuning and lower. Again, there are a lot of factors.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

Well I'll have to keep working on it with trial and error

11. Likes basicbasshead liked this post
    basicbasshead is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Check out my pictures. 60 inch port for2 15inch Type R and a 7cube box!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2