+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: help designing Box for two Sa-8's at 30 Hz

Pyrofan is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

help designing Box for two Sa-8's at 30 Hz

I listen to mainly rap and country ( depends on the day) and little dubstep. Im doing a vertical box in the back ( going to be like a console.). My dimensions are 14x15x26. Subs will fire forward and ported forward ( was told side port for my truck was better but whatever )

14 is front to back.
    15 is side to side.
    26 is max height. ( the lower the better.)

anyone provide and free help?

Sa-8s are getting 1000w rms at 1 ohm

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: help designing Box for two Sa-8's at 30 Hz

anyone?

thatguy12 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

download torres box calculator and map a design up. then download google sketchup and some youtube videos on how to make a subwoofer box in google sketchup (mark on caraudiofabrication has an awesome one). there's many tutorials on how to use torres box calculator. i know you want someone to design you one but its more satysfing when you design and build yourself, but if you don't want to design it you usually should pay a reputable person on here, the world is not free in any aspect sadly.

Sold To: Goodear and ATC_DJ
    Bought From: Dtrom and f1mclarenagr

Head Unit: pioneer deh 80prs, Front stage: Hertz DSK Components, Rear: Alpine type S , Sub Stage: Tantric HD 10s, Sub Amp: AudioQue 3500.1, Highs Amp: AudioQue 120.4
    Electrical Consists of a Singer 200 amp alt, a Shuriken BT 80, two Crescendo Group 31s and lots of Execution Audio 1/0 Gauge.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy12 View Post
    download torres box calculator and map a design up. then download google sketchup and some youtube videos on how to make a subwoofer box in google sketchup (mark on caraudiofabrication has an awesome one). there's many tutorials on how to use torres box calculator. i know you want someone to design you one but its more satysfing when you design and build yourself, but if you don't want to design it you usually should pay a reputable person on here, the world is not free in any aspect sadly.
    I have made a box before and I have used sketchup for years. Are their no boxes people have already made? The only reason i dont want to design one is because I dont want to mess it up. Sealed is easy but calculating a port is hard to me.

thatguy12 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

there is in the stickies in enclosure help but i dont think there is for eight inch subwoofers.

Sold To: Goodear and ATC_DJ
    Bought From: Dtrom and f1mclarenagr

Head Unit: pioneer deh 80prs, Front stage: Hertz DSK Components, Rear: Alpine type S , Sub Stage: Tantric HD 10s, Sub Amp: AudioQue 3500.1, Highs Amp: AudioQue 120.4
    Electrical Consists of a Singer 200 amp alt, a Shuriken BT 80, two Crescendo Group 31s and lots of Execution Audio 1/0 Gauge.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Sundown recommends .5 to .75 per sub @ 35 Hz. I'd go with 1 cube (.5 per) and 16 square inches of port. With the 13.5" width you have, a bottom mounted slor port would be 1.18" (1 3/16") tall and 25" long. The total volume of that port would be .37 cubes and the drivers displace .16.

So, you'd need a total internal volume of 1.53 cubes. Using your available outside dimensions, that would be 15 wide, 14 high and 16 tall.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    Sundown recommends .5 to .75 per sub @ 35 Hz. I'd go with 1 cube (.5 per) and 16 square inches of port. With the 13.5" width you have, a bottom mounted slor port would be 1.18" (1 3/16") tall and 25" long. The total volume of that port would be .37 cubes and the drivers displace .16.

So, you'd need a total internal volume of 1.53 cubes. Using your available outside dimensions, that would be 15 wide, 14 high and 16 tall.
    Here is my idea. with that 16 high it may work better. Would 35 Hz sound good for Rap? most people seem to be running like 30-32
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help designing Box for two Sa-8's at 30 Hz-2011-ford-f-150-v-8-xlt-supercrew-4x4-back-seats.jpg  

oxsign is offline No Affiliation oxsign is a Supporting Member of the forum!

oxsign is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I would actually have the port turned the other way firing under that rear seat. Anywhere from 32Hz-34Hz is where I tune mine for daily.

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

30-32 will sound more like 25-28 in the vehicle and those drivers do not do well tuned low. At least, in my experience, I've not been able to model a large enough box tuned below 35-38 Hz that yields a smooth curve. They always have a horrible dip from just above tuning to about 100 Hz. I've experienced that with most of the SAs and frankly, most of Sundown's woofers in general.

Not to mention, 35Hz is a good frequency for lows in a vehicle and the SAs are near bullet proof so you don't really have to worry about them unloading below tuning.

318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

30-32 will sound more like 25-28 in the vehicle and those drivers do not do well tuned low. At least, in my experience, I've not been able to model a large enough box tuned below 35-38 Hz that yields a smooth curve. They always have a horrible dip from just above tuning to about 100 Hz. I've experienced that with most of the SAs and frankly, most of Sundown's woofers in general.

Not to mention, 35Hz is a good frequency for lows in a vehicle and the SAs are near bullet proof so you don't really have to worry about them unloading below tuning.
    Box to your quotes. Look good to you? It doesnt seem like the subs fit. At least stacking them.

Imageshack - ost4.png

( zoom in to see better)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

on a 15" x 16" baffle they will fit diagonally.

318-780-6149

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

on a 15" x 16" baffle they will fit diagonally.
    I cant get it to fit. The one on the top left will be flush with the port and side when mounted. The other one cannot fit without over hang. When you say 15'' and 16'' do u mean total box or just the mounting area.

here is a pic to show. http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4457/688u.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

I meant the total box but I wasn't thinking about the port. So in reality, you have about 13" in height and 15 in width.

Do your circles represent the outside diameter of the sub or the cutout diameter? Even with the port there, I would think it should fit but maybe I haven't had enough coffee this morning.

Another option is to put the port in the bottom left corner of the box with the subs mounted as you have them shown, only higher. In that case the port would need to be either 4" x 4" or 3" by 5 5/16".

318-780-6149

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I meant the total box but I wasn't thinking about the port. So in reality, you have about 13" in height and 15 in width.

Do your circles represent the outside diameter of the sub or the cutout diameter? Even with the port there, I would think it should fit but maybe I haven't had enough coffee this morning.

Another option is to put the port in the bottom left corner of the box with the subs mounted as you have them shown, only higher. In that case the port would need to be either 4" x 4" or 3" by 5 5/16".
    Circles are cut out. Im still a little confused. The smallest area i seem to be able to fit them in is 1'3'' x 1' 4 11/16''. Thats a little to wide. Rather have it taller. Is my port the right size and dimensions? Wish someone would just design me quick one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast