+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Reload Thread: AERO port different lengths??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    AERO port different lengths??

    Hey guys, so I'm about to build my first box with an aero port in it and I need some help. I used the12volt to calculate the length of my port based on how big the diameter was. I'm going with either a 6" or 8" but i want to know what the difference is. The calculator told me that the 6" aero port tuned to 34hz would need to be 6.2" long where as the 8" aero port would need to be 13" long. what is the difference?

    My set up is an audioque hdc3 18 in a 6.2cft box.




    Your Car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book "Moog"




  2. #2
    pro-rabbit's Avatar
    pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    HDC3 18 will want 2 6" ports if you are using the PSP ports they do not make an 8"

    If you are building them yourself then you will need to flare each end of the port.



    As for the difference, it is port area.

    The more port area you have the longer the port will need to be.




  3. #3
    SubieSPL_Maniac's Avatar
    SubieSPL_Maniac is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    Which is better for spl 2 6" or 1 8"?




    Your Car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book "Moog"

  4. #4
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    Quote Originally Posted by SubieSPL_Maniac View Post
    Hey guys, so I'm about to build my first box with an aero port in it and I need some help. I used the12volt to calculate the length of my port based on how big the diameter was. I'm going with either a 6" or 8" but i want to know what the difference is. The calculator told me that the 6" aero port tuned to 34hz would need to be 6.2" long where as the 8" aero port would need to be 13" long. what is the difference?

    My set up is an audioque hdc3 18 in a 6.2cft box.
    i used the 2 6's in my last build with a hdc3 18, my box was also 6.1 or .2 cubes. people say that 1 port is more efficient then 2 ports, so i would try the 8" and see how it does. Im about to get my old hdc3 18(hopefully), im putting in 6cubes and going to run 1 10" aeroport with it, and about 3.2k-4krms to it.



    MY NEW RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELEC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 7.06 CUBE @ 37HZ ~ SHARK 2500(FOR NOW,2 STRAPPED LATER)@ 1OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ 4 RUNS OF 1/0(2+/2-)


    WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG
    1 KICKER L7 15 ~ 5.6 CUBE @ 38HZ ~ KICKER ZX1000.1 @ 2 OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK BATTERY ~ ONLY 6GA POWER WIRE


    2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131

  5. #5
    SubieSPL_Maniac's Avatar
    SubieSPL_Maniac is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    i used the 2 6's in my last build with a hdc3 18, my box was also 6.1 or .2 cubes. people say that 1 port is more efficient then 2 ports, so i would try the 8" and see how it does. Im about to get my old hdc3 18(hopefully), im putting in 6cubes and going to run 1 10" aeroport with it, and about 3.2k-4krms to it.
    did the 2 6" ports bump tho? and hit hte LOWS..? and how much power were you giving it?




    Your Car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book "Moog"

  6. #6
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    Quote Originally Posted by SubieSPL_Maniac View Post
    did the 2 6" ports bump tho? and hit hte LOWS..? and how much power were you giving it?
    my set up was a hdc3 18 on a planet audio bb2400.1 @ 1ohm(probly about 600 rms after imp rise & voltage drop with my stock electrical and 4ga power wire lulz),, my box was 6.2 cubes net tuned to 38hz, with 2 6" aeros, it sounded good to my liking atleast, it played down to about 32hz pretty good but also played up to 53hz really good(my blazer peaks at 53hz is why). but with stock electrical, 4g wire, 600rms, on term lab i did a 147.6db on a 30 sec music ave(no burp) in the kick, and 146.xxdb on a 30 second music average(no burp) on the dash. not to shabby for what it was



    MY NEW RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELEC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 7.06 CUBE @ 37HZ ~ SHARK 2500(FOR NOW,2 STRAPPED LATER)@ 1OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ 4 RUNS OF 1/0(2+/2-)


    WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG
    1 KICKER L7 15 ~ 5.6 CUBE @ 38HZ ~ KICKER ZX1000.1 @ 2 OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK BATTERY ~ ONLY 6GA POWER WIRE


    2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131

  7. #7
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    Quote Originally Posted by SubieSPL_Maniac View Post
    did the 2 6" ports bump tho? and hit hte LOWS..? and how much power were you giving it?
    if you want it to dig lower( as in lower then mine), then just tune the enclosure lower so it will have my authority on lower notes. if thats what you want id tune around 32hz



    MY NEW RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELEC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 7.06 CUBE @ 37HZ ~ SHARK 2500(FOR NOW,2 STRAPPED LATER)@ 1OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ 4 RUNS OF 1/0(2+/2-)


    WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG
    1 KICKER L7 15 ~ 5.6 CUBE @ 38HZ ~ KICKER ZX1000.1 @ 2 OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK BATTERY ~ ONLY 6GA POWER WIRE


    2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131

  8. #8
    SubieSPL_Maniac's Avatar
    SubieSPL_Maniac is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    my set up was a hdc3 18 on a planet audio bb2400.1 @ 1ohm(probly about 600 rms after imp rise & voltage drop with my stock electrical and 4ga power wire lulz),, my box was 6.2 cubes net tuned to 38hz, with 2 6" aeros, it sounded good to my liking atleast, it played down to about 32hz pretty good but also played up to 53hz really good(my blazer peaks at 53hz is why). but with stock electrical, 4g wire, 600rms, on term lab i did a 147.6db on a 30 sec music ave(no burp) in the kick, and 146.xxdb on a 30 second music average(no burp) on the dash. not to shabby for what it was
    that's dope for 600rms. And you should def get the big 3 upgrade, it makes a huge difference. I have a single 12 type r in a 3.5 box tuned to 33hz now and when i did the big 3 it really hit the LOWWS. I could feel it in my chest.
    But I think 38hz would be too high for me i like the low lows. id prob tune it to 34 35 maxx. but i heard that the hdc3 18 can hit the lows real well even if tuned higher because of surface area? idk this is going to be my first 18. Anyways when you did the 2 6" aero ports did you split the length of the total calculated port length in half and do half for each 6" aero port. for example, since the12volt told me that my port length needed to be 6.2" would i need to make 2 6" diameter ports 3.1" long??




    Your Car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book "Moog"

  9. #9
    Silverado SS's Avatar
    Silverado SS is online now Shake Pound and Rattle



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    1,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    Quote Originally Posted by SubieSPL_Maniac View Post
    that's dope for 600rms. And you should def get the big 3 upgrade, it makes a huge difference. I have a single 12 type r in a 3.5 box tuned to 33hz now and when i did the big 3 it really hit the LOWWS. I could feel it in my chest.
    But I think 38hz would be too high for me i like the low lows. id prob tune it to 34 35 maxx. but i heard that the hdc3 18 can hit the lows real well even if tuned higher because of surface area? idk this is going to be my first 18. Anyways when you did the 2 6" aero ports did you split the length of the total calculated port length in half and do half for each 6" aero port. for example, since the12volt told me that my port length needed to be 6.2" would i need to make 2 6" diameter ports 3.1" long??
    Any thought of a different sub? Not saying either are bad but HDC and Type Rs are not known for there low end although they can play it. Type rs sound strong above 35hz IMO.



    [FONT="Georgia"][CENTER]Silverado SS on 24's
    2 Fi SP4s Fully Loaded
    8 cubic foot after disp. 30Hz
    PowerBass 5000XTA and PPI 900.4
    Clarion CZ 702 for now
    4 Exodus Anarchys, looking for tweets
    Singer 275A Alternator, Big 3
    140 A/H and Shuriken BT-45

  10. #10
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    Quote Originally Posted by SubieSPL_Maniac View Post
    that's dope for 600rms. And you should def get the big 3 upgrade, it makes a huge difference. I have a single 12 type r in a 3.5 box tuned to 33hz now and when i did the big 3 it really hit the LOWWS. I could feel it in my chest.
    But I think 38hz would be too high for me i like the low lows. id prob tune it to 34 35 maxx. but i heard that the hdc3 18 can hit the lows real well even if tuned higher because of surface area? idk this is going to be my first 18. Anyways when you did the 2 6" aero ports did you split the length of the total calculated port length in half and do half for each 6" aero port. for example, since the12volt told me that my port length needed to be 6.2" would i need to make 2 6" diameter ports 3.1" long??
    i mean that was before. in past few months before i turned and sold everything i did some "re-modeling" lol... i did the big 3, got a 220 dc power alt, 4 runs of 0 gauge wire(2 + & 2 -) front to back, and some deka agm's. i sold my amp and sub but i kept my electrical stuff tho. im about to hopefully buy back my HDC3 18 tho lol



    MY NEW RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELEC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 7.06 CUBE @ 37HZ ~ SHARK 2500(FOR NOW,2 STRAPPED LATER)@ 1OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ 4 RUNS OF 1/0(2+/2-)


    WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG
    1 KICKER L7 15 ~ 5.6 CUBE @ 38HZ ~ KICKER ZX1000.1 @ 2 OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK BATTERY ~ ONLY 6GA POWER WIRE


    2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131

  11. #11
    SubieSPL_Maniac's Avatar
    SubieSPL_Maniac is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado SS View Post
    Any thought of a different sub? Not saying either are bad but HDC and Type Rs are not known for there low end although they can play it. Type rs sound strong above 35hz IMO.
    well the only other sub i seen in that power and price range i was looking at is the fi bl 18 and even that is a little high on the price. ive never really had experience with either fi, or aq but from what ive read online ppl talk alot about how much power the aq can handle and i figure if it can handle more power than it can move more air. idk. the only sub ive had experience with is the 12" alpine type r. the one I have now is the new one, and its not even mine, its my cousin's. he lent it to me because he switched cars. But i've built about 3 different boxes for this sub and really like the LOW notes. i need more flex and more bass so im jumping straight to an 18. but do you have any suggestions on subs?? i'd like to keep it around 300 even though shipping is a *****




    Your Car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book "Moog"

  12. #12
    Silverado SS's Avatar
    Silverado SS is online now Shake Pound and Rattle



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    1,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    Quote Originally Posted by SubieSPL_Maniac View Post
    well the only other sub i seen in that power and price range i was looking at is the fi bl 18 and even that is a little high on the price. ive never really had experience with either fi, or aq but from what ive read online ppl talk alot about how much power the aq can handle and i figure if it can handle more power than it can move more air. idk. the only sub ive had experience with is the 12" alpine type r. the one I have now is the new one, and its not even mine, its my cousin's. he lent it to me because he switched cars. But i've built about 3 different boxes for this sub and really like the LOW notes. i need more flex and more bass so im jumping straight to an 18. but do you have any suggestions on subs?? i'd like to keep it around 300 even though shipping is a *****
    BL is actually a great SQL sub but will not likely have the output of the HDC. Its all about your taste and what you want, I would go to a local audio meet and hear and feel some things out. I would buy used but if you need new I would do XFL for SPL and FI BL for good output and SQ. I would buy the FI as I'm a SQL kinda guy but like I said our suggestions will only go so far its all about what you like



    [FONT="Georgia"][CENTER]Silverado SS on 24's
    2 Fi SP4s Fully Loaded
    8 cubic foot after disp. 30Hz
    PowerBass 5000XTA and PPI 900.4
    Clarion CZ 702 for now
    4 Exodus Anarchys, looking for tweets
    Singer 275A Alternator, Big 3
    140 A/H and Shuriken BT-45

  13. #13
    IonRL205's Avatar
    IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Abilene, Texas
    Posts
    2,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    How low are you trying to play? Like low 20s? High 20s?



    Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

    Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

  14. #14
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado SS View Post
    Any thought of a different sub? Not saying either are bad but HDC and Type Rs are not known for there low end although they can play it. Type rs sound strong above 35hz IMO.
    trust me, they will play low if you want them to. ive seen them dig down before. i had mine in a 4th order c-pillliar walll that was thrown together and it was tuned for like 30hz, and it play hard down to 20hz, i burped it at like 16hz to see what it sounded like for sh1ts and giggles and it sounded really good actually



    MY NEW RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELEC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 7.06 CUBE @ 37HZ ~ SHARK 2500(FOR NOW,2 STRAPPED LATER)@ 1OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ 4 RUNS OF 1/0(2+/2-)


    WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG
    1 KICKER L7 15 ~ 5.6 CUBE @ 38HZ ~ KICKER ZX1000.1 @ 2 OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK BATTERY ~ ONLY 6GA POWER WIRE


    2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131

  15. #15
    SubieSPL_Maniac's Avatar
    SubieSPL_Maniac is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: AERO port different lengths??

    I like to play songs that can really hit the lowws like 25-35 hz songs that just flexx everything..




    Your Car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book "Moog"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 4" aero port cut length needed ASAP
    By da box king in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 08:25 AM
  2. Different length aeros?
    By KHARPS in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-25-2008, 10:26 PM
  3. Putting different size aero ports in the same box?
    By bunkerking09 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
  4. different length ports in one box
    By PSturmer in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 01:42 AM
  5. Effects of Different Length Ports in same box.
    By whizdumb in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum