Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reload Thread: Looking for Box Design Help!

T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

Re: Looking for Box Design Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Oraclem19 View Post
    This is where I was confused.
    This is also why I am considering keeping two demo boxes around. One for DD, tuned up into 40-42hz, and one for lows and demoing rap, tuned at like 35 33s.

Then again with how my system was hitting last time I played with this 35 box if I break 1000w kind of feels like a 35 tuned box can take care of anything up until 60s 70s adequately.
    You could technically tune in the upper 30's/low 40's and still play all through the 30's with authority. It's all in the box modeling though. As soon as you start playing below tuning, you lose more and more of the acoustic suspension provided by the box, so cone control is purely on the suspension and motor.

I personally don't know how to model that, I'm sure if you consult one of the professional designers on here they could help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

My point being that you could possible build a box that satisfies both styles of music. It would certainly be more convenient than building two boxes.

Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

Oraclem19 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    You could technically tune in the upper 30's/low 40's and still play all through the 30's with authority. It's all in the box modeling though. As soon as you start playing below tuning, you lose more and more of the acoustic suspension provided by the box, so cone control is purely on the suspension and motor.

I personally don't know how to model that, I'm sure if you consult one of the professional designers on here they could help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

My point being that you could possible build a box that satisfies both styles of music. It would certainly be more convenient than building two boxes.
    I'll put this out there right now then, anyone willing to help(your time will be made worth it) me achieve knowing how to get to these kind of designs, and confirm they will work before putting them in wood, send a message. Have and can use all current programs inc. Hornresp.

Have been trying to play some 32 hz songs on this box and while the tone plays, I can't tell if the box is unloading and damaging the woofer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

I'll put this out there right now then, anyone willing to help(your time will be made worth it) me achieve knowing how to get to these kind of designs, and confirm they will work before putting them in wood, send a message. Have and can use all current programs inc. Hornresp.

Have been trying to play some 32 hz songs on this box and while the tone plays, I can't tell if the box is unloading and damaging the woofer.
    If the sub is being driven past the mechanical limits, you'd more than likely be able to hear abnormally loud mechanical noise or the sub bottoming out. Also, when the coil leaves the gap, distortion should be noticeable.

If you get yourself a DD-1, it will listen for any distortion, not just distortion from clipping(although that is what it is primarily used for). It would be easy enough to set gains with that and keep your coil inside the gap.

Oraclem19 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    If the sub is being driven past the mechanical limits, you'd more than likely be able to hear abnormally loud mechanical noise or the sub bottoming out. Also, when the coil leaves the gap, distortion should be noticeable.

If you get yourself a DD-1, it will listen for any distortion, not just distortion from clipping(although that is what it is primarily used for). It would be easy enough to set gains with that and keep your coil inside the gap.
    It sounds a bit odd at 32, must not be much distortion if I'm having problems telling if I'm distorting.
    Link to DD-1 doing this? Didn't know the thing had a mic on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

It sounds a bit odd at 32, must not be much distortion if I'm having problems telling if I'm distorting.
    Link to DD-1 doing this? Didn't know the thing had a mic on it.
    Wow, I must be high. No the DD-1 doesn't work that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

point stands, once the coil leave the gap, it should audibly distort pretty heavily.

hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1955 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbeez View Post
    Evidently tyga rack city and put on and such songs only dig low when slowed down.
    Whatever. Meanwhile the other 14-18 tracks on any of the CD's those "songs" come from are in the more traditional music range. The larger problem is that most of the subs that we're dealing with here simply want to play peaky and you're going to sacrifice bandwidth somewhere for the sort of output we like. I used to always tune in the high 20's so that I could play down to 18hz and after going out on a limb and doing some low 40's tuning I'll never go back except for movie sound effects I'm not missing anything

This is where I was confused.
    This is also why I am considering keeping two demo boxes around. One for DD, tuned up into 40-42hz, and one for lows and demoing rap, tuned at like 35 33s.

Then again with how my system was hitting last time I played with this 35 box if I break 1000w kind of feels like a 35 tuned box can take care of anything up until 60s 70s adequately.
    More people would make a huge port for high tuning and an insert to tune lower when desired, or use external aero-octo type port and you could choose a port based on what you wanted to do and 8 bolts would swap them out.

In similar news, I actually have a box I'm trying to tune now 8 cube 16X 8.5" port 17" long that's peaking at 35hz. I'm not impressed and trying to tune higher. Really I have no idea why it's behaving like It is, going to trim a few inches off it and try to get it up @ 40-42

dbeez is offline Supporting Vendor dbeez is a Supporting Member of the forum!

dbeez is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    911 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    Whatever. Meanwhile the other 14-18 tracks on any of the CD's those "songs" come from are in the more traditional music range. The larger problem is that most of the subs that we're dealing with here simply want to play peaky and you're going to sacrifice bandwidth somewhere for the sort of output we like. I used to always tune in the high 20's so that I could play down to 18hz and after going out on a limb and doing some low 40's tuning I'll never go back except for movie sound effects I'm not missing anything

More people would make a huge port for high tuning and an insert to tune lower when desired, or use external aero-octo type port and you could choose a port based on what you wanted to do and 8 bolts would swap them out.

In similar news, I actually have a box I'm trying to tune now 8 cube 16X 8.5" port 17" long that's peaking at 35hz. I'm not impressed and trying to tune higher. Really I have no idea why it's behaving like It is, going to trim a few inches off it and try to get it up @ 40-42
    Theres many songs that drop low thats not slowed is my point you like mid to higher bass better thats good I have built many low tuned boxes that will play from the 20's to the 60's all day.

2002 suburban
    Security System Code alarm
    Electrical Dc power sp270 7 deka 9A31's and lots of 1/0
    Headunit pioneer 880prs
    Amps 2 Sax125.2 front stage crossfire xs8k@.5
    Wiring lots of 1/0 stinger, tsunami
    Mids & Tweeters 2 sets cdt m6+ mids 2 sets cdt tw25 tweets
    Subs 2-18" nightshade v2's d2
    System DetailsDaily driver.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2