Reload Thread: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

mugen08 is offline Win aplenty

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

My front stage (2001 BMW 325ci) consists of 2-3.5" drivers and 2-5 1/4" drivers, I'm assuming the 5 1/4" are mid bass only...? Anyway, I am trying to come up with a front stage that will compliment the XXX; obviously something with good low end extension down to what, 60 hz or so which is what I may be setting my crossover at...?

I did the math and I should be able to squeeze a 5 cube box in my trunk plus extra battery and amp..

Hmm, I wonder if I could do an IB setup..
    Last edited by mugen08; 06-25-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mugen08 View Post
    My front stage (2001 BMW 325ci) consists of 2-3.5" drivers and two 5 1/4" drivers, I'm assuming the 5 1/4" are mid bass only...? Anyway, I am trying to come up with a front stage that will compliment the XXX; obviously something with good low end extension down to what, 60 hz or so which is what I may be setting my crossover at...?

I did the math and I should be able to squeeze a 5 cube box in my trunk plus extra battery and amp..

Hmm, I wonder if I could do an IB setup..
    Either way, I'm curious to know how it turns out for you.

I may try an IB setup with mine. I'm thinking I could build an mdf cargo shelf type thing in the back of my Jeep Liberty. It would be flush with the top of the seat backs. Sub would be firing up. That could be something I could do with the next to no power tools that I have.

mugen08 is offline Win aplenty

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eradicator006 View Post
    Either way, I'm curious to know how it turns out for you.

I may try an IB setup with mine. I'm thinking I could build an mdf cargo shelf type thing in the back of my Jeep Liberty. It would be flush with the top of the seat backs. Sub would be firing up. That could be something I could do with the next to no power tools that I have.
    Or build a 25 cube ported box for it!
    Data-Bass

At 34.5 cubic feet of external volume and an estimated 320lbs this custom system is by far the largest that has been tested thus far. The huge enclosure enables the system to have very deep extension and a tuning of around 12Hz while utilizing a 10" diameter port. This system was designed some years back in an effort to produce a system with full power output down to 10Hz and to assess the performance of the port system employed. The port design was borrowed from Polk Audio – a patented design from the nineties called the power port that is supposed to allow a controlled and constant expansion at both port ends allowing for greater air speeds before compression while also allowing the use of a shorter port length for the desired tuning. Nathan Funk of Funk Audio was commissioned to build the enclosure design and no expense was spared on the materials, build or finishing. This system demonstrates tremendous low end SPL, but has mediocre upper bass output as a result of the XXX 18 driver’s very low sensitivity. The power port system works very well with huge masses of air moving through the port into the room with barely a hint of chuffing at full output. Unfortunately the added complexity and design time required for this type of port limit its use. This is the first system tested by Data-Bass to provide in excess of 100dB at 10Hz at 2 meters outdoors. A simply massive 114dB was recorded at 12.5Hz under the same conditions which further confirms the visceral room shaking power this system possesses once inside of a typical room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I changed my mind about going IB. Too much work to support the sub. I'm now thinking about doing a rear firing sealed box. This sub looks promising in sealed. Here's a vid I found: RE Audio XXX 15 underpowered 1500 RMS. Sealed - YouTube

I see in one of your other threads you are thinking of giving up on the XXX in car. I'd say try sealed.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4