Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Reload Thread: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

  1. #31
    soloXgt's Avatar
    soloXgt is offline Dinkum Flicka



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Buffalo/Rochester NY
    Posts
    2,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    Quote Originally Posted by mugen08 View Post
    LOL at the second part of your sig..

    So basically they used to have a more linear frequency response, but less SPL; the new ones get as low, hit harder, but are more peaky... I don't see how that makes them inferior all together, just in the linearity aspect... Depends on what you are after.
    Anyways, here is some extreme excursion in a sealed box; I don't see where some people get their info (They don't have enough motor for full excursion)... RE XXX 12 RACK CITY - YouTube
    so if the old ones have a more linear freq. response, and you are looking for an SQ build, why did you go with a new XXX when the older ones willo fit your build better? (and cheaper too)



    HU: AVIC-F90BT
    Sub: 15" Treo SSX
    Amp: MTX TE4001D
    Front: Eclipse SC 8365 x 2
    Amp: Audison LRX 250.2

    Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc View Post
    JL attracts hood rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugnutz View Post
    It has to do with evolution. The blacks have not yet fully evolved from monkey to the current white human. They are in a transition state. That is why they are not very intelligent and have barbaric instincts that cause them to commit crime. It is just the monkey in them.


    REFS griffin850, Safe_Cracker, Kamikazekyle05, Korn4Life, blaze383..others on ROE also




  2. #32
    bhsdriller's Avatar
    bhsdriller is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    bakersfield,ca
    Posts
    4,491
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    Quote Originally Posted by soloXgt View Post
    so if the old ones have a more linear freq. response, and you are looking for an SQ build, why did you go with a new XXX when the older ones willo fit your build better? (and cheaper too)
    they can be hard to find sometimes, not a lot of people know about them either



    Team Flex Issues
    4 18" Mayhems
    2 bc5500's


    Bought from: ameduce(x2), Hatchet_Warrior, jeeper07,DB_DRAG_SPL,ssackett, lyttleviet,MillzThaYungin, blackbonnie, ryan1126, Goindef154(x2), Lonnie, dave_damage

    Sold to: Ilovebass, nismos14, chednompton, teen, jonesy

  3. #33
    bassman_soundki's Avatar
    bassman_soundki is offline BASS OBSESSION



    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    sacramento ca
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    What yr and size is the best XXX?

    Its on mt list of subs to get
    I have one XBL^2 sub now in the CSS SDX 15, but I want something beefier.



    Sold to: Jonesy

    Traded with: Jonesy , 310w6, Ciaonzo

    Bought from : newtitan, Tat2bass

    System
    Alpine 7894
    Autotek mm4000.1
    Zapco AG750

  4. #34
    T3mpest's Avatar
    T3mpest is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,946
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    Quote Originally Posted by mugen08 View Post
    LOL at the second part of your sig..

    So basically they used to have a more linear frequency response, but less SPL; the new ones get as low, hit harder, but are more peaky... I don't see how that makes them inferior all together, just in the linearity aspect... Depends on what you are after.
    Anyways, here is some extreme excursion in a sealed box; I don't see where some people get their info (They don't have enough motor for full excursion)... RE XXX 12 RACK CITY - YouTube
    On most music they won't. He was using over rated power and I'm not sure how big the box was, probably large for a single sub. Also, that song has a very loud 29hz tone. Look at the rest of the excusion vids on youtube, it's all bass I love you because of the 10hz tone. Unless you want to do a very large box, the size that could easily fit 2 "normal" subwoofers. If you don't plan on playing alot of <30hz music, you won't see 40mm or more on a regular basis. So yes, my comment is more or less correct. I never said it physically can't use it, but it will take a big box, more than rated power and some very low notes. For 95% of the population there are much better uses of the space available.

    Also, the old XXX's def dont' have less SPL than the new ones.. In a sealed box on the lowest of notes that may be true, but again, for a normal car audio applicaton the older XXX's are going to be louder between 30-50hz. above 60 they both **** and below 30 the newer ones have the advantage overall.

    If you going to do a XXX 15 sealed I'd be going around 4-5 cubes for it. Depends how much space you have really, and how big the vehicle is. 4cubes if it's on the smaller side, 5 if it's a larger sedan or SUV type.



    Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.


  5. #35
    mugen08's Avatar
    mugen08 is offline Win aplenty

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    1,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    On most music they won't. He was using over rated power and I'm not sure how big the box was, probably large for a single sub. Also, that song has a very loud 29hz tone. Look at the rest of the excusion vids on youtube, it's all bass I love you because of the 10hz tone. Unless you want to do a very large box, the size that could easily fit 2 "normal" subwoofers. If you don't plan on playing alot of <30hz music, you won't see 40mm or more on a regular basis. So yes, my comment is more or less correct. I never said it physically can't use it, but it will take a big box, more than rated power and some very low notes. For 95% of the population there are much better uses of the space available.

    Also, the old XXX's def dont' have less SPL than the new ones.. In a sealed box on the lowest of notes that may be true, but again, for a normal car audio applicaton the older XXX's are going to be louder between 30-50hz. above 60 they both **** and below 30 the newer ones have the advantage overall.

    If you going to do a XXX 15 sealed I'd be going around 4-5 cubes for it. Depends how much space you have really, and how big the vehicle is. 4cubes if it's on the smaller side, 5 if it's a larger sedan or SUV type.

    Thanks for the imput. What experience do you have with the old and new xxx subs? And you don't think the nex XXX will be louder since it has a higher RMS rating?




  6. #36
    mugen08's Avatar
    mugen08 is offline Win aplenty

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    1,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    Quote Originally Posted by soloXgt View Post
    so if the old ones have a more linear freq. response, and you are looking for an SQ build, why did you go with a new XXX when the older ones willo fit your build better? (and cheaper too)
    I found one local for cheap. Plus the professional reviews are outstanding.




  7. #37
    soloXgt's Avatar
    soloXgt is offline Dinkum Flicka



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Buffalo/Rochester NY
    Posts
    2,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    Quote Originally Posted by bhsdriller View Post
    they can be hard to find sometimes, not a lot of people know about them either
    actually, they aren't that hard to find. do a quick search here and CACO. Much easier to find than a 12" TI. Trust me. I've been looking. What would be hard to find is this....






    HU: AVIC-F90BT
    Sub: 15" Treo SSX
    Amp: MTX TE4001D
    Front: Eclipse SC 8365 x 2
    Amp: Audison LRX 250.2

    Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc View Post
    JL attracts hood rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugnutz View Post
    It has to do with evolution. The blacks have not yet fully evolved from monkey to the current white human. They are in a transition state. That is why they are not very intelligent and have barbaric instincts that cause them to commit crime. It is just the monkey in them.


    REFS griffin850, Safe_Cracker, Kamikazekyle05, Korn4Life, blaze383..others on ROE also

  8. #38
    mugen08's Avatar
    mugen08 is offline Win aplenty

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    1,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    XXX on 400 watts sealed box on music 3" P-P excursion

    RE Audio XXX 15 - YouTube




  9. #39
    soloXgt's Avatar
    soloXgt is offline Dinkum Flicka



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Buffalo/Rochester NY
    Posts
    2,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    do you want excursion or sq? lookin more like you want the exc.



    HU: AVIC-F90BT
    Sub: 15" Treo SSX
    Amp: MTX TE4001D
    Front: Eclipse SC 8365 x 2
    Amp: Audison LRX 250.2

    Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc View Post
    JL attracts hood rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugnutz View Post
    It has to do with evolution. The blacks have not yet fully evolved from monkey to the current white human. They are in a transition state. That is why they are not very intelligent and have barbaric instincts that cause them to commit crime. It is just the monkey in them.


    REFS griffin850, Safe_Cracker, Kamikazekyle05, Korn4Life, blaze383..others on ROE also

  10. #40
    mugen08's Avatar
    mugen08 is offline Win aplenty

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    1,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    Quote Originally Posted by soloXgt View Post
    do you want excursion or sq? lookin more like you want the exc.
    Both.




  11. #41
    soloXgt's Avatar
    soloXgt is offline Dinkum Flicka



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Buffalo/Rochester NY
    Posts
    2,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    all I see you talking about is excursion. why not post vids of SQ also? Your question has been asked and answered, multiple ways, all of which will work. Get off the computer and build your box and let us know how it is.



    HU: AVIC-F90BT
    Sub: 15" Treo SSX
    Amp: MTX TE4001D
    Front: Eclipse SC 8365 x 2
    Amp: Audison LRX 250.2

    Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc View Post
    JL attracts hood rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugnutz View Post
    It has to do with evolution. The blacks have not yet fully evolved from monkey to the current white human. They are in a transition state. That is why they are not very intelligent and have barbaric instincts that cause them to commit crime. It is just the monkey in them.


    REFS griffin850, Safe_Cracker, Kamikazekyle05, Korn4Life, blaze383..others on ROE also

  12. #42
    mugen08's Avatar
    mugen08 is offline Win aplenty

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    1,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    Quote Originally Posted by soloXgt View Post
    all I see you talking about is excursion.
    Well, people are making questionable comments about the abilities of the sub, some say ported some say sealed, some are saying the sub's motor is too weak for full excursion which it obviously isn't....... Don't know who to believe..

    IMO people on this site just have a boner for ported boxes and XBL2 or whatever subs..

    Since the guy in the professional review I posted earlier asked the engineers at RE for the best SQ specifications and the answer was a sealed box 2.5 times larger than the optimal size listed on their site that's what I'm going to build; a sealed box 2.5x what is recommended on the RE site.

    On top of that the guys who actually perform calcs based on the T/S parameters of the sub say everything points to a big sealed box.

    I guess I was hoping to hear some testimonials from people who have ran both




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    I have a 2008 XXX 15". It's been sitting in storage for a year or 2. I never had much luck running it ported (5 cubic ft. @ 30hz). It was quite horrible sounding; peaky at certain frequencies and also certain frequencies were non existent. I guess the best way to explain it is the frequency plot graph would look similar to the McDonald's golden arches sign. Eventually I plugged the port on the box. Sub was firing up in the back of my Jeep Liberty. It sounded great when I wasn't moving. As soon as I started driving it was as if I had no sub.

    For now I've given up on using the XXX in a vehicle. I think I'll turn it in to my H/T sub.




  14. #44
    T3mpest's Avatar
    T3mpest is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,946
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    Quote Originally Posted by mugen08 View Post
    XXX on 400 watts sealed box on music 3" P-P excursion

    RE Audio XXX 15 - YouTube
    Think what you want about your driver.. If you really want some honesty about it from an outside source check the data-bass reviews. This guy basically buys and has people send him super expensive drivers so that he can test them properly and see how they do.. Very measurement oriented, he has a great setup and he's no bias. As you can see, while the driver is good, everything I said about it is true. That video you linked didn't look like music either, looked alot like a test tone dropping in frequency, that's not music.

    Anyway here is the review of the sub in a 4.5 cube box. Remember in a car you'll get cabin gain that will alter this response, but this is the basic starting response in an open field. "Using the XXX 18 driver in the 4.5 cube sealed test enclosure handicaps it substantially and results in a humped response shape with a significant roll off towards the top end. Sensitivity is very low due to the high moving mass and low BL^2/RE of the motor. This driver wants an enclosure many times this size for a maximally flat alignment. Additionally the huge excursion levels supported require tremendous amounts of amplifier power to make use of them. Power levels that are likely not realistic to use. Distortion performance below 50Hz is pretty good considering the output levels reached but would probably improve substantially in a larger airspace. On the positive side the chance of running out of excursion with this driver in a cabinet this small is next to nothing using any sort of typical amplification scheme. This driver is much better suited to larger sealed enclosures, giant vented alignments and probably most of all IB. "

    anyway www.data-bass.com

    Again, not a terrible driver but the car brings out this drivers weakpoints even more. The peak near 30-40hz that this driver naturally had due to the heavy coil and high inductance is right where alot of cars have alot of gain. Most cars have nulls between 60 and 80hz where this driver won't play. Your going to have probably a 20-30db difference between 80 and 40hz hz in a car. It's an expensive speaker and it can be a good one, but really this thing is built for a HT system. If your goal is 10hz at 120db's this thing can deliver, if you have the room. Check out the measurements of the ported setup they tried 30+ cubes at 12hz tuning, that's where this thing shines, stupid big boxes tuned very low. Even in a box that big, plenty of woofers can provide more output ABOVE 30hz in a box iiterally 1/6th the size, which is where most music plays. This may not be a problem for you, assuming you planned on crossing your driver over at 40-50hz. Really it depends what you wanted out of the speaker in the first place. I just know alot of people are very disappointed with these things when they get them into the car. Not because it's a bad speaker, but it's not really designed for musical playback, let alone in a vehicle, despite how RE markets them.

    Between the new and old XXX the power handling is difference isn't super significant. The XXX used a fairly beefy 3inch coil, most users put 2-2.5k on it without issues. XBL^2 also makes the driver very effecient, as it doesn't lose motor force as the coil leaves the gap. That kind of effeciency you wont' see on a standard t/s sheet, it takes real world testing and measurment to see that.

    Anyway back to your setup, what other speakers are going into the car, what kind of car?
    Last edited by T3mpest; 06-22-2013 at 07:38 PM.



    Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.


  15. #45
    mugen08's Avatar
    mugen08 is offline Win aplenty

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    1,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: RE XXX 15: sound quality build; ported or sealed

    Thanks for the detailed reply




Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RE xxx 15, or Adire Brahma 15 mk2
    By Denial in forum Wanting to Buy (WTB) - Car Audio
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 07:28 PM
  2. WTB RE XXX 15 OR Brahma 15
    By lslugz in forum Wanting to Buy (WTB) - Car Audio
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 09:55 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 02:10 AM
  4. ported or sealed for 15" xxx
    By w00t w00t in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-15-2003, 10:00 PM
  5. 15" l7 better in ported or sealed box???
    By kixazz2529 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2002, 05:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum