Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Port question

Ive built an enclosure (2.4 cuft) and want to tune it to 35Hz with a round 3" port. Ive used a website that tells me i need to make it 4.28" in length. My question is that I'm using 2 alpine sws10d4's....would that mean I'd need to use 2 ports? Or, would one port that's 4.28" long give me the same sound as 2 ports, each being 10.78" long? (Again...data taken off the same website which I cant link the url due to this being a new post) Thanks in advance. It'd be good to get some clarification before I start cutting holes.

SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    896 Post(s)

Re: Port question

Quote Originally Posted by gilhaven View Post
    Ive built an enclosure (2.4 cuft) and want to tune it to 35Hz with a round 3" port. Ive used a website that tells me i need to make it 4.28" in length. My question is that I'm using 2 alpine sws10d4's....would that mean I'd need to use 2 ports? Or, would one port that's 4.28" long give me the same sound as 2 ports, each being 10.78" long? (Again...data taken off the same website which I cant link the url due to this being a new post) Thanks in advance. It'd be good to get some clarification before I start cutting holes.
    One 3" port is not enough port area for you. For a box that size, you'll want at least 2 4" ports or 3 3" ports. The problem you run into is that if you're going to use 3 3" ports, you'll need about 20" of port length to get 35Hz tuning after accounting for sub displacement

^To explain that - for aero ports you want to have 9-13 square inches of port opening per cubic foot of your enclosure. 3 3" ports would give you a ratio of 10.9 sq in per cube. If you have less than that, you'll be choking your subs and not getting their full output

Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

Find us on Facebook!

Closed Thread