Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Reload Thread: Potential box design for an XFL 15"

RSDXzec is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Potential box design for an XFL 15"

anybody got any feedback on the response graphs seen in my last post? Would that really sound better than my first design in a car environment?

edit: I think i may need a new thread for this topic since my design has changed so much it's nothing like the description in the first post.

Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

When you drop an enclosure into a vehicle, it boosts the gain tremendously. You can't rely on those graphs at all technically or literally, but only metaphorically in a comparison. A lot of time the t/s parameters with the woofer just don't match up well with the program so you can only use some of the info. A lot of time the 0 db line makes it look terrible because you cross it at something stupid like 40 hz which doesn't seem right, because it's usually not. The graphs are skewed in certain ways, you have to be able to recognize it and deal with it accordingly.

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

RSDXzec is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    When you drop an enclosure into a vehicle, it boosts the gain tremendously. You can't rely on those graphs at all technically or literally, but only metaphorically in a comparison. A lot of time the t/s parameters with the woofer just don't match up well with the program so you can only use some of the info. A lot of time the 0 db line makes it look terrible because you cross it at something stupid like 40 hz which doesn't seem right, because it's usually not. The graphs are skewed in certain ways, you have to be able to recognize it and deal with it accordingly.
    Well I clearly lack the experience to realise where/how the graphs are skewed, any tips/ways to realise this?
    Would adding the cabin gain in bassbox pro help at all by using the resonant frequency of the car? I know to find it you need to measure the size of the cabin but I've never been sure if it's extreme corner to corner or from the centre of the dash touching the wind shield to the rear centre of the boot.

Another way I've heard of doing it is getting a sealed box and testing with a metre at all desired frequencies then estimating the gain curve compared to what winisd/bbp estimates.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3