+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Building a box for 8-6x9's this weekend. Sealed-or-ported????Please help!!!!

Nigel79 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Building a box for 8-6x9's this weekend. Sealed-or-ported????Please help!!!!

So I recently purchased 2 Alpine type R 10's and a 2400W RMS Alpine amp and now I can't hear my highs and mids anymore. AT ALL! Even with my EQ bass all the way down and my gain almost all the way down And I have 2 component sets with 100 watts RMS going to each of them. So I got pissed off because I've never had the kind of midrange and highs that Ive wanted so I purchased four pairs of infinity 3-way 6 x 9's I'm going to build a box behind my front seats in between my sub box for my 8 6x9's. Should I make it a ported box or a sealed box. My biggest problem that I've had in the past is there is not enough punchy, punch you in the head and heart midrange. For that reason I was maybe thinking about switching to a sealed box for the 10's as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Re: Building a box for 8-6x9's this weekend. Sealed-or-ported????Please help!!!!

You don't need eight 6x9s

I run a pair of polk coaxials off my deck and I can hear them just fine...and I run two solo x 12s walled off on 2k

What amp is on your door speakers?

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Re: Building a box for 8-6x9's this weekend. Sealed-or-ported????Please help!!!!

Mids and highs coming from behind you sounds just awful IMO. Run them sealed in separate chambers if you must.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alpine PDX 100x4 to two MB Quart PVL 6.5" components. Keep in mind I haven't been in the game for a long time I guess MB Quart isn't what it used to be. I know I didn't need four pairs of 6 x 9's but Its kinda a crazy volume fun project at this point. I didn't intend for it to be the best Economical set up. But just a fun project ;-)

SounDrive is online now SounDrive RCA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

STOP RIGHT THERE.

You'll appreciate that advice later...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stop Right Where? Please explain what you are referring too??

SounDrive is online now SounDrive RCA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You're doing something wrong if you can't hear your mids and highs. I have one set of 6.5 comps on 240 watts (120 watts each side - actually more like 80 because the gain is down quite a bit) with NO rear speakers and 2 XFL 12s on 2500 watts. I can still hear mids and highs just fine with everything full tilt; in fact the tweeters hurt my ears before the subs do. And as said before, mids and highs coming from the back sound like crap.

Upgrade your existing front stage before you decide to do something radical like putting 8 6x9s in your car

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well that ***** because the 2 component sets and the PDX 400 Powering them was installed by extreme car audio which does everything for everybody in the city of Grand Rapids Michigan where I live. They do everything for all the car dealerships as well And Grand Rapids is not a very small city. I already blew one of my 6.5" drivers. I was never impressed with them from the get-go. Well that being said now I really don't know what the hell is going on and I don't have a local shop that knows what the hell they are doing. I think they know what they're doing it all depends on how much you spend. I didn't buy the mb quart Component sets from them because I paid $200 on the Internet and they are charging 600 In the store. But they wouldn't budge on the $600 and I told them how much I can get them online for so screw them why would I pay $400 more for a set of speakers through them? We could've made some kind of deal with installation and convenience in warrantee of buying from them but they weren't interested in the opportunity so now I have no option other than myself. It's me, myself, and I. So tools like online forums really help out when people participate for people in my situation.

Jroo is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeah, dont buy a bunch of 6X9s and stick them in the car. You dont have bad equipment but something is off. Keep asking on the forums, there has to be another shop or somebody near you that can help trouble shoot what you have. I have run a front stage only and loud subs for years and never had issues not being able to hear my highs. Check xover points, gains, and install stuff first.

+ Reply to Thread