Reload Thread: Ported vs. PR for my application

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Ported vs. PR for my application

Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    wait, are you going to use the 18" PRs or 15" PRs?

Matt
    18". They have a 16.75" cutout diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

how the hell does that work? they would only have the cone area of a 15"PR....

Matt

Star Mountain Nuthugger #5
    12" TC9 in 1.39 cubes @30hz
    Boston Acoustics GT-2300 @4 ohms bridged.

Quote Originally Posted by double 07 View Post
    Sub cutout got a little skar on it...dad blamed round over bit bearing came flying off.......LOL.......
    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    A little Skar on it? Was it a B-stock bit?
    Refs:
    bought from Nitefury360, Tallic, SPLaudio X2
    Traded with Marleyskater420

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

how the hell does that work? they would only have the cone area of a 15"PR....

Matt
    Cutout diameter is the hole you have to cut to fit it in the box. Always smaller than the rated size on any sub. Overall diameter is 18.5" with gasket.

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

-_- i feel stupid now. i was thinking OD not cutout. hell the cutout on my 8's is 7.3", lol

Matt

Star Mountain Nuthugger #5
    12" TC9 in 1.39 cubes @30hz
    Boston Acoustics GT-2300 @4 ohms bridged.

Quote Originally Posted by double 07 View Post
    Sub cutout got a little skar on it...dad blamed round over bit bearing came flying off.......LOL.......
    A little Skar on it? Was it a B-stock bit?
    Refs:
    bought from Nitefury360, Tallic, SPLaudio X2
    Traded with Marleyskater420

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

-_- i feel stupid now. i was thinking OD not cutout. hell the cutout on my 8's is 7.3", lol

Matt
    Yeah my 15's are like 14.125. But those 18's should fit in there with some cutting of one of my upper top baffle. Not a whole lot though.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Bump for opinions/information on PR's. Do I go PR or no??

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

@ciaonzo I was promised info!
    I'm sure you are still recovering from the bday though lol.

I think PR's are in my future.

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

@ciaonzo I was promised info!
    I'm sure you are still recovering from the bday though lol.

I think PR's are in my future.
    Haven't worked on the models if that's what you're after. Go for the PR's, though! Throw 'em in, do a little tweaking to find the tuning you like, and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

9. Likes gckless liked this post
    jockhater2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

I hope with shane's help that PR's are in my future too.

Head Unit Pioneer P99RS
    3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground
    1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars
    380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford)
    RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch SPLaudio (AA Mayhem motors/baskets)
    Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (made by dbeez)
    Zed Audio Leviathan III on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
    Alex Jones www.infowars.com Endgame, Obama Deception, Truth Rising,
    Fluoride in the water, poison in vaccines, chemical trails in the skyglobal
    elite banks run our government towards a one world global government.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jockhater2 View Post
    I hope with shane's help that PR's are in my future too.
    Ya know, with as popular as they are in home theater, I'm surprised I don't see more. I know they cost more, but everyone is always trying to save space, sooooooo...

What you plannin bro?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

So, talking with PSI now about the PRs. It's lookin like he will take care of me for a decent price
    Anyway, here's what I sketched up for the box changes. Unfortunately, @Buck is not in the best of health, so he's not available at the moment. Hope he's doing well. In his absence, I gave it a try. Only sketched what I would change.

Original:

Changes:

These things will JUST fit.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Well just paid for my PSI passive radiators. Was kinda just a thought before, but I'm committed now. A pair of 18" PR's, upgraded high-roll surround for 3.5" p-p, dual spiders to handle the power, carbon fiber dustcap, built and shipped in a week, for $350. I'm happy with it as of now. We'll see if I feel that way when I get them

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Just want to say PSI has the fastest turnaround ever. Paid for my passive radiators Tuesday afternoon, and just received tracking info. They weren't standard either, got a couple upgrades.

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Interested to see how this turns out...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Got the box design done:

And just got my PRs in too:

PSI 18" Passive Radiators

Might not post a whole lot in this thread anymore, I'll be starting a build log soon. I will direct to that though, and I'll try to come back and update this when I finally get these in and start tuning. Gonna be a while though, still have all my electrical to buy and cash is tight right now

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast