Closed Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Reload Thread: What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

  1. #1
    Spldecendant's Avatar
    Spldecendant is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ny
    Posts
    442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

    I know it will make it stronger and more solid which is better for spl but will it effect the tuning and how the box sounds?







  2. #2
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

    you talking resin or resin and mat? Resin will do nothing for strength and even with mat if would have to be several layers to make a diff.

    It WILL cost you some $$$ and take some time, that's about the only thing certain. Some guys gain a fuzz on the meter doing resin inside and some don't. No it won't change how the box sounds unless you had a bunch of leaks and magically sealed them...




  3. #3
    RicksI30's Avatar
    RicksI30 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Age
    25
    Posts
    588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    you talking resin or resin and mat? Resin will do nothing for strength and even with mat if would have to be several layers to make a diff.

    It WILL cost you some $$$ and take some time, that's about the only thing certain. Some guys gain a fuzz on the meter doing resin inside and some don't. No it won't change how the box sounds unless you had a bunch of leaks and magically sealed them...
    Agreed, use some window bracing instead if you are looking for strength.



    Head unit: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996
    Front stage: Alpine Type X PRO mids Vifa Neo 1" silk tweeters
    Front stage amp: PPI Bk800.4
    Subs: SSA XCON 12's in 4.5 cubes tuned to 34hz
    Sub amp: PPI Bk1300.1
    Sound Deadening: Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Spectrum, and Sludge


    Team SSA

  4. #4
    BassMechkanic's Avatar
    BassMechkanic is offline the OLD in Old School



    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

    depends on material box is made of.... if birch above help is correct, mdf on the other had is very pourous and applying resin over the complete box would make it more air tight (yes air will pass through the mdf - search for mdf and shop vac videos) so it will make the boxes air loss loss much less.... chasing .10 in the lanes yes, daily not worth the cost, time and smell. if going to resin might as well just build it from birch...



    Sundown Audio
    Audio Technix

  5. #5
    Vincer77's Avatar
    Vincer77 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near Nashville, TN
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

    Do people ever make their boxes from carbon fiber composite?




  6. #6
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

    Quote Originally Posted by BassMechkanic View Post
    depends on material box is made of.... if birch above help is correct, mdf on the other had is very pourous and applying resin over the complete box would make it more air tight (yes air will pass through the mdf - search for mdf and shop vac videos) so it will make the boxes air loss loss much less.... chasing .10 in the lanes yes, daily not worth the cost, time and smell. if going to resin might as well just build it from birch...
    Don't believe the vid personally, static charge in the air maybe. Secondly a ported box his a BIG *** hole in it, air will escape from there before it magically went thru the mdf walls...




  7. Likes BlurredVision, RangerDangerV2 liked this post
  8. #7
    mklett33's Avatar
    mklett33 is offline Mark -CarAudioFabrication



    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    366
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Don't believe the vid personally, static charge in the air maybe. Secondly a ported box his a BIG *** hole in it, air will escape from there before it magically went thru the mdf walls...
    Yes exactly, people continuously quote the MDF leaks video but when you have a huge hole in your box for the port that air is going to take the path of least resistance, not try and force its way through the mdf.



    -Mark @caraudiofab

    http://www.youtube.com/caraudiofabrication
    ^Learn to design, fiberglass, install, and more!^

    >>> www.caraudiofabrication.com <<<

  9. #8
    BassMechkanic's Avatar
    BassMechkanic is offline the OLD in Old School



    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

    more pressure builds up in a ported box over a sealed box, I guess i am bias twords Birch - easier to use, makes less saw dust, stronger, lighter, resist moister way-way more. I only us MDF when i half to anymore, for less that $10 a sheet difference i just cant see why not to use it.



    Sundown Audio
    Audio Technix

  10. #9
    ciaonzo's Avatar
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WI
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Re: What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

    Oh boy... not this again.



    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

  11. #10
    k_schutte's Avatar
    k_schutte is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    cedar rapids, IA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,894
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

    I've seen this go both ways... I watched a guy gain .2-.3 just by soaking the inside with resin. His buddy tried it the following weekend and actually lost .1-.2
    Seen a guy sound deaden the inside of this enclosure as well and he actually gained a small amount at certain tones but lost just as much at other tones. ****'s weird... Personally, I just get standard wood sealer and soak my MDF before I build my box. Then I use PLENTY of glue, wipe it clean and then caulk the corners all up after it's dry.




    Refs: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/454340-k_schutte-feedback-2.html

  12. #11
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

    Quote Originally Posted by BassMechkanic View Post
    more pressure builds up in a ported box over a sealed box, I guess i am bias twords Birch - easier to use, makes less saw dust, stronger, lighter, resist moister way-way more. I only us MDF when i half to anymore, for less that $10 a sheet difference i just cant see why not to use it.
    x2 on only using birch so personally I don't care if you can use MDF as a collander to strain pasta




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. What's the best way to ship a subwoofer inside of an enclosure?
    By FamousMassacre in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 01:05 AM
  2. Does a port have to be on the inside of an enclosure? Can it be run out of the box?
    By txdog27 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 02:04 PM
  3. upgrading the inside of an amp
    By nickm in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 05:59 PM
  4. Anyone use a "milkshake" to seal off the inside of an enclosure?
    By ty1er in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 12:01 PM
  5. glassing the inside of an MDF box
    By d cha p in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum