Closed Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Reload Thread: questions on ported probox

  1. #1
    junior20762003's Avatar
    junior20762003 is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    questions on ported probox

    i have this ported probox 3.75 cu. ft. per side and was wondering if i took a sander and sanded down these baffles

    i could maybe gain some deeper bass from the enclosure or will i just F it all up lol im currently running a pair of JL wo 15s on a rockford 1000.1 and its very loud just not deep enough i know the box is a prefab what else to expect from it.... but im waiting on the obsidian 15s to be available and they should be deeper subs plus ill be able to run 1 ohm

    thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails questions on ported probox-20130211_011536.jpg   questions on ported probox-20130211_011550.jpg  







  2. #2
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    Quote Originally Posted by junior20762003 View Post
    i have this ported probox 3.75 cu. ft. per side and was wondering if i took a sander and sanded down these baffles

    i could maybe gain some deeper bass from the enclosure or will i just F it all up lol im currently running a pair of JL wo 15s on a rockford 1000.1 and its very loud just not deep enough i know the box is a prefab what else to expect from it.... but im waiting on the obsidian 15s to be available and they should be deeper subs plus ill be able to run 1 ohm

    thanks
    Simple changing subs isnt going to do anything since sub choice doesnt really have anything to do with how deep they get... You need a custom built box




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  3. #3
    QueSound15's Avatar
    QueSound15 is offline I know a thing or two....



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    I agree with ^^^^^^^^ custom will be greatly appreciated by the obsidian's! And if u are going to get a custom box, why not give the sander a whirl on those baffles just for the hell of it? Lol



    Vehicle....2004 Dodge neon sxt 4-door
    H/U......Kenwood x595
    Speaker amp....Old School Soundstream p205
    Front Stage.....AQ 6.5" components
    Rear Fill.....Vibe slick 3-way 6x9" coaxils
    Subwoofer Amp......Hifonics zrx.2000.1D
    Subwoofer....2 12" Soundqubed/Audioque SDC2.5's
    Box.....custom 4.2 cubes tuned at ~36 Hertz
    Kinetic HC2400 in trunk, interstate under hood, Big 3 in Cadence 0, Auditechnix 0 power
    Stock 85amp alt

  4. #4
    junior20762003's Avatar
    junior20762003 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    So I can get deeper and louder with these jls... . Do I use jls specs or is there a program I can use to build the enclosure. . compared to the obsidian subs they should out perform these JLs right?? day and night difference




  5. #5
    QueSound15's Avatar
    QueSound15 is offline I know a thing or two....



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    The obsidian's will definitely out perform those JL's........

    And yes, if you want to build a box for the JL's do it to specs, you can get designs from members on here and most can even build it for you! Since I don't have the tools to even mess with getting a program, that's what I would do.



    Vehicle....2004 Dodge neon sxt 4-door
    H/U......Kenwood x595
    Speaker amp....Old School Soundstream p205
    Front Stage.....AQ 6.5" components
    Rear Fill.....Vibe slick 3-way 6x9" coaxils
    Subwoofer Amp......Hifonics zrx.2000.1D
    Subwoofer....2 12" Soundqubed/Audioque SDC2.5's
    Box.....custom 4.2 cubes tuned at ~36 Hertz
    Kinetic HC2400 in trunk, interstate under hood, Big 3 in Cadence 0, Auditechnix 0 power
    Stock 85amp alt

  6. #6
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    Quote Originally Posted by junior20762003 View Post
    So I can get deeper and louder with these jls... . Do I use jls specs or is there a program I can use to build the enclosure. . compared to the obsidian subs they should out perform these JLs right?? day and night difference
    There are many vendors here that can do a design for both subs to get the most out of them... I would however go with the Obsidians




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  7. #7
    junior20762003's Avatar
    junior20762003 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    Those obsidians require 3.7 cu and the box is supposed to be tuned for 34hz from probox I figured it was just not enough sub




  8. #8
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    Quote Originally Posted by junior20762003 View Post
    Those obsidians require 3.7 cu and the box is supposed to be tuned for 34hz from probox I figured it was just not enough sub
    Who knows what the rest of the specs are on it though... Try it but I would rather just get a custom built so I know its done right




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  9. #9
    junior20762003's Avatar
    junior20762003 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    Who on here builds them and how much $$$$




  10. #10
    SMS's Avatar
    SMS
    SMS is online now CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    Look into DC creations on the vendor section, also Star mountain.
    Think they will give you designs so you can build it yourself, its a good learning expeirence if you have the tools, also will help with your next build.




  11. #11
    pro-rabbit's Avatar
    pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    I just skimmed through the thread but this is what I got from it.

    Your current setup is not dropping down low enough for your goals. You are also considering a sub change to obsidian... Are both of those correct?

    Assuming they are...

    You enclosure design will play a huge roll in the output of your subwoofer stage. Increasing the volume, port area, and altering the tuning would be ideal to get the desired response you ate looking for.

    Obsidian subs are very nice and for the price are hard to pass up. We have 4 of their 15s currently in our demo truck and they get plenty loud and very deep while still sounding smooth.

    However, for consideration, I would suggest measuring out the area you have for an enclosure so we can help you make the best choice possible for subs and enclosure to meet your goals. No since in buying something that you won't be able to properly run. Also, what kind of vehicle are these going in and on what amp?




  12. Thanks dbeez thanked for this post
    Likes dbeez liked this post
  13. #12
    junior20762003's Avatar
    junior20762003 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    I just skimmed through the thread but this is what I got from it.

    Your current setup is not dropping down low enough for your goals. You are also considering a sub change to obsidian... Are both of those correct?

    Assuming they are...

    You enclosure design will play a huge roll in the output of your subwoofer stage. Increasing the volume, port area, and altering the tuning would be ideal to get the desired response you ate looking for.

    Obsidian subs are very nice and for the price are hard to pass up. We have 4 of their 15s currently in our demo truck and they get plenty loud and very deep while still sounding smooth.

    However, for consideration, I would suggest measuring out the area you have for an enclosure so we can help you make the best choice possible for subs and enclosure to meet your goals. No since in buying something that you won't be able to properly run. Also, what kind of vehicle are these going in and on what amp?
    yea looking for deep lows...this box is more high to mid and no low...and yea im gonna get those obsidian 15s but there not available till june of this year.. so in the mean time i could give a good box a try...the amp im running is a rockford punch 1000.1 but im looking into the sundown 2500d... and its in a 2011 chevy crewcab silverado




  14. #13
    pro-rabbit's Avatar
    pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    Do you plan on building your own enclosure(based off your design or a purchased design)? Or do you plan to just purchase a full custom built enclosure?




  15. #14
    junior20762003's Avatar
    junior20762003 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: questions on ported probox

    whats the cost for a design will the design have a 3-d picture step by step... and what about a price on a built box




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. quick question on ports
    By pj_chevy03 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 03:32 AM
  2. Building box,have question on ports
    By tman in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 01:37 PM
  3. Questions on Ported Boxes.
    By more_spl in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 07:46 PM
  4. real quick question on port end correction
    By fst89lx in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 03:23 PM
  5. question on "ports"
    By phoneman in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2002, 10:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum