Closed Thread

Reload Thread: question about port sizes

nas786 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

question about port sizes

I'm pretty new to this, I've tried searching google and this forum, but can't seem to get an answer. I've been messing with a couple diff programs to help me build a ported box. I've noticed that if you have a real small port, the tuning goes much lower. Since (it seems) most boxes are shooting to be tuned in high 20's, low 30's, why would someone opt for let's say a 4" aero port vs a 2" ? As the 2" seems much more manageable (for getting lower tuning frequency) and shorter rather than doing a 4" which would require a much longer port, so what is the benefit of using a bigger diameter port?

Also, why would someone make a box with multiple ports rather than just one, as that seems to dramatically increase the tuning frequency? What's the benefit of multiple ports?

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I really gave it an honest shot and couldn't find any answers.

frogcase2002 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Re: question about port sizes

Usually bigger ports if there is port noise

Head unit- cz702
    Speakers- 4 crescendo pwx. Aq tweeters
    Mids/highs amp- ppi a600.2 and ppi a200.2
    Sub- 2 12" zcons
    enclosure- in the works
    Sub amp- aq3500
    Alt- 220 amp
    Batts- 5 c&d 75ah and 1 bt-80
    Wiring- 4 runs of 0 awg and big 3

Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nas786 View Post
    I'm pretty new to this, I've tried searching google and this forum, but can't seem to get an answer. I've been messing with a couple diff programs to help me build a ported box. I've noticed that if you have a real small port, the tuning goes much lower. Since (it seems) most boxes are shooting to be tuned in high 20's, low 30's, why would someone opt for let's say a 4" aero port vs a 2" ? As the 2" seems much more manageable (for getting lower tuning frequency) and shorter rather than doing a 4" which would require a much longer port, so what is the benefit of using a bigger diameter port?

Also, why would someone make a box with multiple ports rather than just one, as that seems to dramatically increase the tuning frequency? What's the benefit of multiple ports?

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I really gave it an honest shot and couldn't find any answers.

The reason is, as subs and power increase, you need a larger port area to avoid port noise as well as maintain efficiency to some extent. You don't tuning by square inches of the port, you tune by the length of it.

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

nas786 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok, that makes sense. So basically if I have a half inch port, although it will easily tune my box to a low volume with a short length, it will create unwanted noise, right?

^^yea, I understood that the length will change the tuning freq, it was just that I noticed smaller ports always required a shorter length for a given freq when compared to a larger port, so I was wondering why go large port with longer length.

thanks guys

Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

General rules of thumb, square/slot/rect. port = 10-16 in^2 per cube (usually more towards 14-16), round port = 5-11 (usually 6-8).

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

Closed Thread