Closed Thread

Reload Thread: most informative research site?

buster61 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

most informative research site?

Ok, so the more I try to plan my next system (correctly) the more questions I have. But this site seems to only give out the "do your research" reply to a lot of posts I have read. I can see where answering the same old stupid questions can become a pain, but in my quest for information I found this site! So, where is a site that I can go to that will give me the most theory? I have googled for such info, but most of what I have found is usually someone that leaves a lot of what I need out, or doesnt know it.

whitedragon551 is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Re: most informative research site?

Just ask specific questions. Nobody will spoon feed you the information. We all learned what we know by searching for it and asking questions if things where unclear.

CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules

HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

^^^This. Also, try to be as open-minded as possible. Between all the members here, you've got a WIDE range of different drivers and components that we've tested throughout the years, but if you're going to scoff at all of our options because you haven't heard of them, we're going to direct our efforts in more useful ways.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

marc2112 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you tell us what you have, what you want to buy or your budget and what your goal is I`m sure we can be helpful.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@neo_styles...um, how have I "scoffed"? certainly did not mean to come across in that way. As I said, I had been reading through the "help 101" threads, and kept coming across "do some research". So, I asked where the most informative site was! I apreciate your replies, as anybody that takes the time to reply to my questions.

Basically, I have a new Camaro SS that I want to upgrade. I am not into competition systems with walls of subs etc. And I do not want to lose a lot of trunk space either. I am pretty creative when it comes to fabricating with wood, fibreglass, metals etc and enjoy working with these materials. Add to that I love a good sounding stereo system having worked in the music industry for a while, and play guitar, sing blah blah...

I know that SPL stands for sound pressure level..but what is meant by an "SPL system"? is this a wall of speaker/competition type of system? As I said, not for me, much better things to spend my money on. Basically, I am a rocker. from Led Zep, to Papa Roach, to Motley Crue. I want clarity at all frequencies, and want to be able to distinguish all instruments in the mix. I am thinking that 2 8" subs would go wel in the camaro's trunk without taking up too much space. I believe what neo says about ported cabs, but do not want to sacrifice the space. So, sealed encloses they will be. I currently have 4 JL C3-650s that I love and would like to reuse. amps? I will probably have to upgrade. I have 1 Memphis PR2.75, and 1 PR4.50. Again, I am looking to save my trunk space so ssmall would be good. Not really sure of my budget, but money isnt that big of a deal. I am usually middle of the road. I dont buy top of the line, and I dont go cheap either.

Suggestions? and aplogies if I have come across badly, certainly not my intent..

thanks!

whitedragon551 is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buster61 View Post
    @neo_styles...um, how have I "scoffed"? certainly did not mean to come across in that way. As I said, I had been reading through the "help 101" threads, and kept coming across "do some research". So, I asked where the most informative site was! I apreciate your replies, as anybody that takes the time to reply to my questions.

Basically, I have a new Camaro SS that I want to upgrade. I am not into competition systems with walls of subs etc. And I do not want to lose a lot of trunk space either. I am pretty creative when it comes to fabricating with wood, fibreglass, metals etc and enjoy working with these materials. Add to that I love a good sounding stereo system having worked in the music industry for a while, and play guitar, sing blah blah...

I know that SPL stands for sound pressure level..but what is meant by an "SPL system"? is this a wall of speaker/competition type of system? As I said, not for me, much better things to spend my money on. Basically, I am a rocker. from Led Zep, to Papa Roach, to Motley Crue. I want clarity at all frequencies, and want to be able to distinguish all instruments in the mix. I am thinking that 2 8" subs would go wel in the camaro's trunk without taking up too much space. I believe what neo says about ported cabs, but do not want to sacrifice the space. So, sealed encloses they will be. I currently have 4 JL C3-650s that I love and would like to reuse. amps? I will probably have to upgrade. I have 1 Memphis PR2.75, and 1 PR4.50. Again, I am looking to save my trunk space so ssmall would be good. Not really sure of my budget, but money isnt that big of a deal. I am usually middle of the road. I dont buy top of the line, and I dont go cheap either.

Suggestions? and aplogies if I have come across badly, certainly not my intent..

thanks!
    An SPL system is one that is only focusing on how loud it can get on the meter. Typically these are 1 note wonders that put up good numbers on a meter. An SPL focused system ignores sound quality and playing well across the frequency band. It only cares about the low frequency bands.

CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules

HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks! This is what I thought...

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buster61 View Post

thanks!
    Sorry to make you think you'd done something wrong...just checked back here. What I was referring to was the fact there're users who will come on here asking for help, we offer them help, and they act like we're obscene and go with what they want or heard elsewhere anyway. It was more of a word of caution than an accusation. WD already mentioned what an SPL system entails and, chances are, you're looking more for something along the lines of SQ or SQL. SQL's like a happy middle of both terms where you can definitely crank the volume and get impact, but you'll still be able to hear everything clear as a bell.

As for going with twin 8" subs, I would suggest some Sundown SD-2 8s if you're going new or try to find some solid OS offerings in the classifieds. Also, you can find some subs that really don't require too much volume ported. Someone just set up two SA-8s in a ported enclosure tuned to 32Hz and only ended up sacrificing 1.25 cubes of space. You'll hear differently between people about sealed vs ported and what that means for sound quality, but the real answer is you'll get great performance out of both types of enclosures as long as they're properly built (ESPECIALLY ported enclosures).

Hope you have fun researching while you're here and I think you'll learn a ton. I know it helped me out immensely; not only in knowledge gained, but in the professional relationships and plethora of used equipment at my fingertips...my wallet has definitely never been happier.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OP The reason I came here was when I did a google search for info this site always seemed to have the better more informative threads posted than other sites. There is good stuff here but it's mostly in older threads and you just have to dig for it. More and more of the new posts I see here look more like a high pressure sales pitch than offering up genuine help and understanding.

My advice is ask away. Don't take what anyone says here personal and don't believe what everyone says because there's a good chance they don't really have a clue. Take all the information you gather from your questions and searches and make your own decisions.

struglife is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BCAE1.com

Hands down the most thorough information site for car audio and everything that it encompasses. Theory, equations, application of principles etc.

Closed Thread