Closed Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Reload Thread: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

  1. #1
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    so i finally decided to throw some power at my ID8s and since i had to make an adaptor to use the enclosure i had on hand i can actually see and hear the leak. i made the adaptor out of multilayer cardboard and sealed each edge with aluminum tape, but since i cant really tighten the subs down too hard(cardboard....) i can see the subs lifting up and hear the air leak. so, since im going to be buildins a new enclosure soon anyways i wanted to know what you guys use to seal around the sub mounting flange.

    Matt




  2. Likes Montana liked this post



  3. #2
    pro-rabbit's Avatar
    pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    You used cardboard in place of making a wooden adapter?




  4. #3
    groundpound4200's Avatar
    groundpound4200 is offline Da fuq did I just read?



    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Mankato, MN
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,250
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    the supplied gasket



    2007 Honda Pilot 2008 Nissan Maxima
    2 RD D9s strapped @ 1 ohm Sundown SAZ-1500D V.3
    2 Sundown Nightshade V.2s 2 10" Atomic APX
    Sundown SAX-125.2 x 2 Sundown SAX-100.4
    Sundown NeoPro 6.5"s, JL ZR Tweets Sundown NeoPros

    RIP Taylor aka NewAgeKing, you are missed!

  5. Thanks xShoWTeKx thanked for this post
  6. #4
    mklett33's Avatar
    mklett33 is offline Mark -CarAudioFabrication



    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    You used cardboard in place of making a wooden adapter?
    I never really use anything, as long as the wood you are sealing to is nice and flat I don't think you will have to many issues, and as rabbit is saying not sure how you can use cardboard for an adapter.



    -Mark @caraudiofab

    http://www.youtube.com/caraudiofabrication
    ^Learn to design, fiberglass, install, and more!^

    >>> www.caraudiofabrication.com <<<

  7. #5
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    lol, its a 2 inch thick cardboard honeycomb deal. its basicly the container that pumpkins get shipped in. you can stand on it and it doesnt flex hardly at all. i didnt want to use wood since im not sure id have enough wood left to make my enclosures. and its really only a test box. i just figured you guys put something between the sub and the wood to make sure it sealed.

    the only reason they are even in the enclosure is because im working on finding the "optimal" sealed volume for my tastes. each sub is in 2 Cubes after displacment. and i using the "add wood to take up airspace" method. so far 1.2 cubes seems to be working nicely.

    Matt




  8. #6
    cdc351jeferson's Avatar
    cdc351jeferson is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    austin tx
    Posts
    1,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    lol, its a 2 inch thick cardboard honeycomb deal. its basicly the container that pumpkins get shipped in. you can stand on it and it doesnt flex hardly at all. i didnt want to use wood since im not sure id have enough wood left to make my enclosures. and its really only a test box. i just figured you guys put something between the sub and the wood to make sure it sealed.

    the only reason they are even in the enclosure is because im working on finding the "optimal" sealed volume for my tastes. each sub is in 2 Cubes after displacment. and i using the "add wood to take up airspace" method. so far 1.2 cubes seems to be working nicely.

    Matt
    how are you getting an accurate test out of yoru test box if your subs are jumping up and down in it ? i took my subs out of the box they shipped in then screwed them in the box and they are sealed



    headunit : Sony xab-601bt
    fronts: infinity kappa 60.9's
    box : Bill Fitzmaurice Truck tuba DD 600series 10"
    amp: Kicker zx500.1
    REFS: Bradfordp2612 , Double 07 , NASTY08IMPALA , mzlady

  9. #7
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    on low power they dont move. but when i found a nice enclosure volume and decided to throw some power at them to see how they sounded the problem showed its ugly face. i may end up making a wood adapter, but i figured you guys used some kind of foam to seal around the sub. aparently i was wrong. i simply wanted to test out an enclosure but the only enclosure i had available has a 10" cutout, so i macgyvered it a bit so i could get an idea if i wanted to run sealed or port like i had planned.

    Matt




  10. #8
    cdc351jeferson's Avatar
    cdc351jeferson is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    austin tx
    Posts
    1,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    on low power they dont move. but when i found a nice enclosure volume and decided to throw some power at them to see how they sounded the problem showed its ugly face. i may end up making a wood adapter, but i figured you guys used some kind of foam to seal around the sub. aparently i was wrong. i simply wanted to test out an enclosure but the only enclosure i had available has a 10" cutout, so i macgyvered it a bit so i could get an idea if i wanted to run sealed or port like i had planned.
    Matt
    should never be a question ported FTW



    headunit : Sony xab-601bt
    fronts: infinity kappa 60.9's
    box : Bill Fitzmaurice Truck tuba DD 600series 10"
    amp: Kicker zx500.1
    REFS: Bradfordp2612 , Double 07 , NASTY08IMPALA , mzlady

  11. #9
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    yea yea, but the ID8s are right on the line when it comes to ported vs sealed. i may end up going ported still. but im having a horrible time deciding a tuning. since it will be for a HT it needs to dig low, but i listen to music on the system too so it cant be tuned too low.

    Matt




  12. #10
    cdc351jeferson's Avatar
    cdc351jeferson is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    austin tx
    Posts
    1,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    yea yea, but the ID8s are right on the line when it comes to ported vs sealed. i may end up going ported still. but im having a horrible time deciding a tuning. since it will be for a HT it needs to dig low, but i listen to music on the system too so it cant be tuned too low.

    Matt
    @double 07 ; can make you a killer box and make it sound how ever you want



    headunit : Sony xab-601bt
    fronts: infinity kappa 60.9's
    box : Bill Fitzmaurice Truck tuba DD 600series 10"
    amp: Kicker zx500.1
    REFS: Bradfordp2612 , Double 07 , NASTY08IMPALA , mzlady

  13. #11
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    well i made a thread to finally decide what i want to do for a box. once thats done i should be able to build the box in about 2 weeks time.

    Matt




  14. #12
    cdc351jeferson's Avatar
    cdc351jeferson is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    austin tx
    Posts
    1,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    well i made a thread to finally decide what i want to do for a box. once thats done i should be able to build the box in about 2 weeks time.

    Matt
    sweet put up some pics of your work bro



    headunit : Sony xab-601bt
    fronts: infinity kappa 60.9's
    box : Bill Fitzmaurice Truck tuba DD 600series 10"
    amp: Kicker zx500.1
    REFS: Bradfordp2612 , Double 07 , NASTY08IMPALA , mzlady

  15. #13
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    4,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    If you're still wondering about the initial question, weatherstripping, or Parts Express has speaker gasket tape (or foam? it's called, not sure) thats good as well.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

  16. #14
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    i intend too. i dont have any woodworking tools except for a small hacksaw, so once my stepdad gets back from his cruise ill start laying it out on the wood i have. im actually really excited about this for some reason. lol

    Matt




  17. #15
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: what do you guys use to seal around ur subs?

    ill look at the speaker gasket tape. thanks because i was still wondering. lol

    Matt




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. What do you guys use to apply deadening?
    By I Like Waffle in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 12:31 PM
  2. What do you guys use to smooth out/enlarge your speaker holes?
    By SliderX in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 10:13 AM
  3. What program do you guys use to make those cool sigs..?
    By desertheat in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 03:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum