Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

door panel

Does anyone know anything about panel repair? I got a door panel in the mail and the guy sent it in a trashbag... the particle board wooden frame of it is bent. Ive watched videos on how to repair cracks in vinyl, but is there a way to straighten out the wood and then apply something that makes it stiff again?

If that makes sense

knotdrummer88 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Re: door panel

Quote Originally Posted by GopsBynccounc View Post
    Does anyone know anything about panel repair? I got a door panel in the mail and the guy sent it in a trashbag... the particle board wooden frame of it is bent. Ive watched videos on how to repair cracks in vinyl, but is there a way to straighten out the wood and then apply something that makes it stiff again?

If that makes sense
    Poast dump?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    I look for a girl with lowered standards, and possibly a vision problem. Depth perception and size awareness problems are a definite must. Also must like river-dancing and hideous, irreversible burn scars.

What can I say, Im an old fashioned kind of guy.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Re: door panel help

babump

I look for a girl with lowered standards, and possibly a vision problem. Depth perception and size awareness problems are a definite must. Also must like river-dancing and hideous, irreversible burn scars.

neonblack is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I just cut a hole in my panel (originally 6x4) and set my ADS 6.5's in there (and built mounts, of course). I had to cut a little sheet metal out but that was easy. Not many choices wrt mounting because driver can get in the way of the window (when it's down). I have Sunfire '98 which looks similar to yours.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neonblack View Post
    I just cut a hole in my panel (originally 6x4) and set my ADS 6.5's in there (and built mounts, of course). I had to cut a little sheet metal out but that was easy. Not many choices wrt mounting because driver can get in the way of the window (when it's down). I have Sunfire '98 which looks similar to yours.
    But I want to have them fiberglassed into the panel

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1161 Post(s)

also plan on removing metal to allow for adequate airflow into the door panel. the woofers need plenty of airspace - more than what the pods will provide. i agree your best bet is another wooden piece to outline the point where the mounting pod attaches to the door. a few dowel rods glued in place will allow you to position the mounting baffle as desired. that way you have a piece you can glass from a workbench and not on the panel - then cut out the panel, secure the pod to the panel (leave enough door panel material to allow you to screw them together. then seal, smooth, sand, and finish. are you going to paint or cover the entire panel?

with the additional weight of the new pods, you'll want to ensure the panel stays put and doesn't vibrate - additional screws or attachment points may be prudent.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    also plan on removing metal to allow for adequate airflow into the door panel. the woofers need plenty of airspace - more than what the pods will provide. i agree your best bet is another wooden piece to outline the point where the mounting pod attaches to the door. a few dowel rods glued in place will allow you to position the mounting baffle as desired. that way you have a piece you can glass from a workbench and not on the panel - then cut out the panel, secure the pod to the panel (leave enough door panel material to allow you to screw them together. then seal, smooth, sand, and finish. are you going to paint or cover the entire panel?

with the additional weight of the new pods, you'll want to ensure the panel stays put and doesn't vibrate - additional screws or attachment points may be prudent.
    as far as covering, Im not sure yet. and on the door panel should I remove the arm rest and tuck the fabric behind there? Im just kind of hesitant to do that because they're riveted in there with plastic rivets. Do you think it would be find if I drilled them out, but then screwed then back in in the rivet holes, maybe with the addition of some locktite?

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1161 Post(s)

you either have a pod that looks like a pod just mounted to a door, or you recover the whole door (or bottom half) for a seamless look.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    you either have a pod that looks like a pod just mounted to a door, or you recover the whole door (or bottom half) for a seamless look.
    Im thinking about fiberglassing the bottom half, and making a seamless transition into the door

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by knotdrummer88 View Post
    as far as covering, Im not sure yet. and on the door panel should I remove the arm rest and tuck the fabric behind there? Im just kind of hesitant to do that because they're riveted in there with plastic rivets. Do you think it would be find if I drilled them out, but then screwed then back in in the rivet holes, maybe with the addition of some locktite?
    you can probably just tuck the fabric into the seam with a metal putty knife. I'd be leary of cutting off the rivets unless you're 100% you can screw it back on strong since you pull on the door handle to close the door.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    you can probably just tuck the fabric into the seam with a metal putty knife. I'd be leary of cutting off the rivets unless you're 100% you can screw it back on strong since you pull on the door handle to close the door.
    thats a good point, up until now I actually hadnt thought about what the door handle is actually there for!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2