Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Building new substage in the Taurus looking for suggestions on box config.

SomeguyinPDX is offline GunHappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Building new substage in the Taurus looking for suggestions on box config.

I'm getting ready to start buying components for my new sub stage. Before I start buying gear I wanted to check with the builders out there and get your opinion on what's going to give me the most output and air movement. The absolute biggest box that can fit is around 6-7 cu. ft. gross. I am not set on sub brand (Sundown,AB,Fi,SSA,Skarr,DC ect.) or number of speakers but I was thinking maybe 1-18", 2-15's or 4-12's or whatever works best out of the trunk. I will be running two RF T1500bdcp's (3000-3300rms total) My main goal is to bring out the lows as loud as possible, 28-34hz is the tuning range. I want it to just devastate me and my passengers. My last two substages have been 2-15's L7's sealed 1.8cu ea. then 2-10" vvx's ported with 1.8cu each. Although the ported 10's equaled the output of the sealed 15's it still wasn't enough for me. Any input or experience you can suggest is appreciated. Thanks

2007 Volkswagen Fahrenheit GTI #470 of 1200 - Stock System w/big 3 and Yellow top optima. Slowly getting ready to start the system build

SOLD or Purchased from: CD6551, ace_800, underfire , Cyclone9, mclsound, mylows10, BigSix.....

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5143 Post(s)

Re: Building new substage in the Taurus looking for suggestions on box config.

2 lvl 4 15's will be loud as hell

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 03 Mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Dtrom is offline MAF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1190 Post(s)

For a trunk I'd do 2 15s. Sundown Zv3's or IA death penalty's.

REFS alot

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

I would do a pair for 12s honestly. The likely hood of squeezing 2 15s in there is pretty minimal with out shorting the air space some in most cases. You could have a rather intricate enclosure designed/built to make it work though. Which is why I would stick with 2 12s. Far easier build and should net a very nice response for you.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Two votes for 15's one vote for 12's. Looks like the 15's win! (with the right enclosure)

2007 Volkswagen Fahrenheit GTI #470 of 1200 - Stock System w/big 3 and Yellow top optima. Slowly getting ready to start the system build

SOLD or Purchased from: CD6551, ace_800, underfire , Cyclone9, mclsound, mylows10, BigSix.....

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1838 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    I would do a pair for 12s honestly. The likely hood of squeezing 2 15s in there is pretty minimal with out shorting the air space some in most cases. You could have a rather intricate enclosure designed/built to make it work though. Which is why I would stick with 2 12s. Far easier build and should net a very nice response for you.
    DC's like small boxes, you think he could fit a pair in 3ft net each? Might not be super optimal, but could he make it work?

OP, I'd listen to this guy, he builds boxes for a living. If you can fit the 15's, by all means do that ish!

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Attachment 2653766315's will work. I have a good sized trunk, it's the trunk opening that is my only issue. The largest box that I can get through the trunk opening is 32" wide, 27" deep, 16" tall. If I slant/angle the face of the box back I can reduce the height and increase the depth conciderably. Here is a pic of another taurus 15" box (rough looking) but gives an idea of size and 8" aero port placement. The box in the pic was ran with subs forward port on drivers side.

Any suggestions to improve this setup are very welcome. (usually subs back, port back is optimal in my experience)

mklett33 is offline Mark -CarAudioFabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

I have personally done, 2 - 15's with 3 cubic ft each (6 total) in a Taurus, it was nice but a HUGE, (let me say that again) HUGGGGGEEEEE pain in the . Do 2 -12's and give them all the room in the world to breathe. Again, like everything this is an opinion but I have had experience with this, and it was rough! If you do go the 2-15's route get lets of plastic sheeting because your going to be building within the trunk!

-Mark @caraudiofab

http://www.youtube.com/caraudiofabrication
    ^Learn to design, fiberglass, install, and more!^

>>> www.caraudiofabrication.com <<<

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeguyinPDX View Post
    Attachment 2653766315's will work. I have a good sized trunk, it's the trunk opening that is my only issue. The largest box that I can get through the trunk opening is 32" wide, 27" deep, 16" tall. If I slant/angle the face of the box back I can reduce the height and increase the depth conciderably. Here is a pic of another taurus 15" box (rough looking) but gives an idea of size and 8" aero port placement. The box in the pic was ran with subs forward port on drivers side.

Any suggestions to improve this setup are very welcome. (usually subs back, port back is optimal in my experience)
    The enclosure specs you listed only offer up a 6.5ft3 gross volume which is not all that much. I honestly think you would be happier with a pair of 12s in optimum space and port area.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mklett33 View Post
    I have personally done, 2 - 15's with 3 cubic ft each (6 total) in a Taurus, it was nice but a HUGE, (let me say that again) HUGGGGGEEEEE pain in the . Do 2 -12's and give them all the room in the world to breathe. Again, like everything this is an opinion but I have had experience with this, and it was rough! If you do go the 2-15's route get lets of plastic sheeting because your going to be building within the trunk!
    That is what I was getting at. Not that it is impossible, but that it is a pita to try and make it fit while still having the correct volume for the enclosure.

mklett33 is offline Mark -CarAudioFabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    That is what I was getting at. Not that it is impossible, but that it is a pita to try and make it fit while still having the correct volume for the enclosure.
    Yes, ultimately I was disappointed, and wished I had gone the 2-12's route.

-Mark @caraudiofab

http://www.youtube.com/caraudiofabrication
    ^Learn to design, fiberglass, install, and more!^

>>> www.caraudiofabrication.com <<<

slim2fattycake is offline rolling right along

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    155 Post(s)

12s. don't forget room for batteries and your amps.

SPL-Lab REP

Want an SPL meter for a lot less than the cost of a Termlab, but just as accurate and has more features and support? PM me.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

A bit off topic but, I was looking at Fi's website and saw they had the IB subs. Has anyone had any success mounting subs to a heavy duty baffle using the whole trunk as the enclosure? My trunk is 17cubes according to Ford.

Closed Thread