Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sealed box

Is it better to use a partitioned box for two subs or will a single volume sealed box do?

Seraphim38 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Re: Sealed box

Since no one responded to this post I will. The common thought in car audio is that each driver should have its own sealed partition so that drivers don't end up pushing against each other, especially when enclosure space is limited.

The truth is though, when you get into larger box designs that putting drivers into the same space isn't as much of an issue. In large format commercial subwoofer applications (which I happen to be an expert regarding), the most popular designs in the world happen to contain multiple drivers sharing the same vented enclosure space.

My system: Pioneer/Morel/Arc Audio
    Profession: Sound engineer. One of the best.

BrownVanMan is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    325 Post(s)

doesnt matter as long as they are wired correctly however seperating them does help if for some reason one f the woofers blows or something the other is still in the correct box.

husker77 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

Well let us see if I can be completely wrong about something.

Let's say each sub requires 1 cu/ft of space(just a number I threw out), if you partition them, basically two separate boxes you need to make it 2 cu/ft, but if the subs share the same air space they see 1/3 of the other subs air space. Not really explaining it all that well. But for the 2 in the common box you would only need 1 1/3 cu/ft, so if space was a factor it could help having them share the air space.
    Last edited by husker77; 10-31-2012 at 06:19 PM.

oldschool4me is offline Premium Member oldschool4me is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    232 Post(s)

would be ok if ran in mono operation. if your running stereo then no. i prefer separate chambers myself for reasons like mentioned about blowing one in turn likely blowing the other rather quickly and i like os a/b amps usually ran in stereo. depending on the install i would use them in complete separate boxes for install design or in some cases getting the boxes to fit in a trunk with limited access. a long time ago i tried this out. i used same subs in seperate boxes vs single box with no chamber separation and there was a noticeable difference. ...now in a ported design like mentioned it doesnt matter as much because the subs would not in a sense be fighting each other as they both would be forcing air through the port.

REF's: Revrider1, Kevinn, darkhunter139, 2002XLT,
    lax916, bad @ss chevy, dropped_mazda, integra88, CRXBMPN, 88irocZ, the franchise, SlainNothing, pootie, khmer rouge, NewAgeKing, thegreatestpenn, oneill584, headless, scoob8000, Blados,ProjectPechkin, Krackerjack, CrownVicon24's, Louisiana_CRX, go_go_thrash, IonSQL, PBateman, ericoutdoorguy, Flomaster, B-roc, RetroAudioinc, ampjunkielikeme, bur1196, integra2468, illbmeubu, j3bus2k3, wgsj_fortvalley, l7runner, Fast1one, +many more
    Ref thread:
    http://caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/286493-oldschool4me-feedback-thread.html
    R.I.P Taylor Lampart (NewAgeKing) 5/13/1988 - 1/24/2010

Closed Thread