Closed Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Reload Thread: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

  1. #1
    Dave88LX's Avatar
    Dave88LX is offline Member



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Near Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    2007 Dodge Ram Megacab, looking for a pair of 10s. (I don't think I need more than this, advise if I'm wrong).

    JL Stealth is $1000+...no thanks. I do want to keep the subs behind the rear seats so that I can still fold them down (Makes a great diaper-changing table).

    I've seen good reviews about both companies. Main differences I can see is that SubThump is forward-firing and has a spot for an amp to be mounted; the Fox is downward firing and has a lip built in so it can be used as a storage shelf. Any input on forward vs. down firing, or either of these two companies? Price is within $5 of each other. Anywhere else you suggest I look?

    Fox Acoustics:
    DODGE MEGA CAB 2-12" SEALED DOWNFIRE
    6.5" mounting depth

    SubThump:
    06 & Up Dodge Ram MEGA CAB Dual box with Amp Space
    6.75" mounting depth

    Thank you.
    - Dave







  2. #2
    snoopdan's Avatar
    snoopdan is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    20,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    I've actually worked with the owner of Subthump on some enclosures, so I'm pretty biased...lol. He does good work though, and we both designed an enclousure for older Corvettes and it came out well. Just sayn' ....




  3. #3
    mclerico83's Avatar
    mclerico83 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    tampa
    Posts
    6,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    I love fox acoustics boxes, acoustically they are amazing and have a little more mounting depth and cubic feet to better accommodation of most of the subs, and down firing always sounded better for me in a truck in the cabin




  4. #4
    Dave88LX's Avatar
    Dave88LX is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Near Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by snoopdan View Post
    I've actually worked with the owner of Subthump on some enclosures, so I'm pretty biased...lol. He does good work though, and we both designed an enclousure for older Corvettes and it came out well. Just sayn' ....
    Super ironic...I was looking up information on their boxes and came across a 7 year old thread on CorvetteForum that you were involved in:
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...ump-*****.html (***** = s**ks)

    Thank you for the input!




  5. #5
    Dave88LX's Avatar
    Dave88LX is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Near Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by mclerico83 View Post
    I love fox acoustics boxes, acoustically they are amazing and have a little more mounting depth and cubic feet to better accommodation of most of the subs, and down firing always sounded better for me in a truck in the cabin
    Brings me to another question:

    One box has .95 ft^2 and the other 1.2ft^2 per speaker. If a speaker recommends .65 ft^2, how bad is it to have nearly twice the space? Or is that just a minimum recommended suggestion?




  6. #6
    snoopdan's Avatar
    snoopdan is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    20,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    Brings me to another question:

    One box has .95 ft^2 and the other 1.2ft^2 per speaker. If a speaker recommends .65 ft^2, how bad is it to have nearly twice the space? Or is that just a minimum recommended suggestion?
    just a minimum suggestion, its always easier to remove airspace...not so easy to add!

    ..and yeah, 7 years goes by fast!




  7. #7
    CHEMMINS's Avatar
    CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Nevernever Land
    Posts
    4,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    Holy balls......just remove the toolboxes and build a box. You can get 5 cubes back there and still fold the rear seat down.



    References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

    BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS



  8. #8
    mclerico83's Avatar
    mclerico83 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    tampa
    Posts
    6,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    what subs you thinking and the fox acoustics are 2 12's so you will get louder with more surface area.




  9. #9
    CHEMMINS's Avatar
    CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Nevernever Land
    Posts
    4,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    Also for the price of those boxes, you can buy a nice skill saw and the wood to make it. Still have the saw and more airspace and more box options.



    References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

    BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS



  10. #10
    mclerico83's Avatar
    mclerico83 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    tampa
    Posts
    6,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    SSA Store - SKAR Audio VVX Sub woofer
    (2) TREO ENGINEERING® SSi12.22 12" SUBWOOFERS SUB WOOFERS SUBS SSi 12.22 *PAIR* | eBay

    SSD12 - Fi Car Audio Store
    this would be my choice amazing deal and they like sealed 1.1 amazing deal and have a mounting depth of 6.5 so they would fit in the fox box perfectly and get the high qts so they are specifically designed for sealed

    ORION XTR PRO12d4 The ORIGINAL Old School Woofer a/d/s/ ADS US New Warranty!!! | eBay
    also amazing subs that are very good sealed american made

    if you need 10's, i would go with 12's

    GCON-10 Sound Solutions Audio 10" 750W GCON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE




  11. #11
    Dave88LX's Avatar
    Dave88LX is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Near Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    Holy balls......just remove the toolboxes and build a box. You can get 5 cubes back there and still fold the rear seat down.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    Also for the price of those boxes, you can buy a nice skill saw and the wood to make it. Still have the saw and more airspace and more box options.
    I've got a skillsaw and the tools, I just don't have the time to do it. I've got to look at it as a cost vs. time thing here, and I don't have the time between work travel/2 toddlers/honey-do list etc. to figure out what I need to build. A couple years ago maybe though. In a couple years maybe.




  12. #12
    Dave88LX's Avatar
    Dave88LX is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Near Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by mclerico83 View Post
    SSA Store - SKAR Audio VVX Sub woofer
    (2) TREO ENGINEERING® SSi12.22 12" SUBWOOFERS SUB WOOFERS SUBS SSi 12.22 *PAIR* | eBay

    SSD12 - Fi Car Audio Store
    this would be my choice amazing deal and they like sealed 1.1 amazing deal and have a mounting depth of 6.5 so they would fit in the fox box perfectly and get the high qts so they are specifically designed for sealed

    ORION XTR PRO12d4 The ORIGINAL Old School Woofer a/d/s/ ADS US New Warranty!!! | eBay
    also amazing subs that are very good sealed american made

    if you need 10's, i would go with 12's

    GCON-10 Sound Solutions Audio 10" 750W GCON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE
    Lost to digest...thank you. I've heard good things about SSA's subs.




  13. #13
    mclerico83's Avatar
    mclerico83 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    tampa
    Posts
    6,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Re: SubThump or Fox Acoustics? Dodge Ram Megacab advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    Lost to digest...thank you. I've heard good things about SSA's subs.
    good but then you could only fit 10's and for almost the same price you can get a ssd built for a sealed enclosure by fi who builds ssa subs and i would rather have 12's




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Advice for 2006 Dodge ram qc
    By gyd in forum Speakers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 06:36 PM
  2. Dodge Ram reg cab need some advice
    By mattsmith467 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 07:10 PM
  3. 97 Dodge Ram battery or alternator???
    By jpilson21 in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 01:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum